TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ontario EV grants announced - 280 L2 and 213 L3 chargers funded

Discussion in 'Canada' started by rypalmer, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

2. wayner

wayner Active Member

That's a lot of chargers for Pearson, especially since they are already pretty well equipped - I wonder what the rationale is? Wouldn't you rather have them on places on the highway to alleviate range anxiety?

3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Looks hopeful, because the rest of the grants seem to be clustered around where they already have coverage. Like Toronto.

4. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Interesting that if you sample a few data points this amounts to roughly $8,000 per L2 charger and $83,000 per L3 charger.

What's going on in Brampton that their 4 L2 chargers are costing $22k each?! And in Essex $253k gets you 4 L3 chargers but in Caledon 231k only gets you 2...

5. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Koben Systems calls itself the Canadian EVSE leader. Strange that few people of heard of them and on their site they call the ABB CHAdeMO/CSS unit a "Super charger."

6. S'toon

I didn't take that close a look into the actual figures. Good points.

7. wayner

wayner Active Member

I wouldn't say it is clustered around T.O. - it looks to be pretty well spread across the province:

The third largest grant is $1.4M to Electric Circuit for Ottawa and Eastern Ontario
    Arntjen is getting $612k for Central and SW Ontario
    Oxford Co is getting $350k (not needed for Tesla owners thanks to the SC at Woodstock)
    Essex is getting $250k.

• Disagree x 1
  8. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Agreed, assuming Koben Systems' contract is province-wide. 10 DCQC at a total of five IKEA. Hopefully, they'll charge enough to prevent people from squatting.

9. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Funny how this program is mostly for Level three, but Ontario's new plug-in rebate program pushes people to buy hybrids that can't charge at more than 3.6 kW.

10. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

There's more than one head-scratcher in that bunch. A gas station in Coldwater is getting 130K for one level 3 and one level 2? And a tech company in Waterloo is getting 61K for 6 level twos at their workplace?

I suppose we should be happy that the Liberals are doing some good things as they spend like drunken sailors.

11. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

There's sweet [email protected]#$0-all for Northern Ontario. Of course I'm hoping that Koben does some of that.

12. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Pearson really need about 300 Level 1 plugs for longer term parking.

13. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Are there plans for electric taxis to serve the airport?

14. S'toon

You folks are making some great points. It costs ~$50K for a level 3 charging station, more less including labour. Why are these grants so much?

Less than a $1000, plus labour, for a level 2 charging station. More if there's something like a pedestal. I assume that there will be a bit more for outdoor installation.

15. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

#15 Jaff, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Excellent point RB...I'd love to hear their explanation of their lack of coordination between these programs...

16. Breezy

Breezy Member

The installations are due to be completed by early next year, by which time the Bolt should be available.

In the meantime the incentive covers up to 30% of the MSRP of the i3, Leaf, FFE, Soul EV, etc.

17. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I missed that... all of the installations? Koben's going to be busy this summer.

18. sitter_k

sitter_k Member

Have you seen the news articles about the mismanagement and corruption in Brampton?

19. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Apparently you're unfamiliar with how the Ontario government does things. Economics do NOT enter into the matter when there are "political considerations".. cough... grease..

• Like x 1
  20. Breezy

Breezy Member

So they say:
    Electric Vehicles Chargers Ontario