Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV grants announced - 280 L2 and 213 L3 chargers funded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently you're unfamiliar with how the Ontario government does things. Economics do NOT enter into the matter when there are "political considerations".. cough... grease..
Your government has nothing on SK. Our government gives out free money to companies with the proper connections.
Sask. government approves $3M subsidy to Skip The Dishes

Heck, our government gave out $1.5 billion to the out of province corporation who just happened to be the biggest contributer to the Saskatchewan Party.

Interesting that if you sample a few data points this amounts to roughly $8,000 per L2 charger and $83,000 per L3 charger.

What's going on in Brampton that their 4 L2 chargers are costing $22k each?! And in Essex $253k gets you 4 L3 chargers but in Caledon 231k only gets you 2...

I think most of the discrepancy is probably due to luxury installs. For instance, since Brampton's not paying there's no incentive to avoid locations that require extra excavation and electric work.

One factor that might make a difference for the Level 3 grants is that in addition to purchase and installation expenses, Ontario said they would cover ALL operating expenses for two years for locations off highways and not in cities.

Last edited:
The installations are due to be completed by early next year, by which time the Bolt should be available.

In the meantime the incentive covers up to 30% of the MSRP of the i3, Leaf, FFE, Soul EV, etc.

The Bolt will only be available in limited numbers with a four-month wait, unless you live in a State with a zero-emission program like California. The FFE is also only available after a lengthy wait and doesn't even have a quick-charge port yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff
Koben systems may need supervision. At the press conference, two different models of fairly cheap GE Wattstation (L2) stations were on display. Hopefully, they didn't win this contract by underbidding with the intention of shorting taxpayers on quality.

The wall-mounted one is too flimsy and should be confined to heated garages.
The other one with a flat circular interface (optimized for collecting ice and snow) has a small LED screen which is completely unreadable in the sun. Koben might not understanff this because I couldn't see any EVs in their lot (except for the one hauled in for photo-ops.)

At least the ABB DCQC present at the contract's signing are of higher quality. One had a McDonald's logo. Has an agreement already been reached to install these at McDonald's? This could be excellent for convenient locations all over the province. The downside is high ICEing potential.

• Informative
One had a McDonald's logo. Has an agreement already been reached to install these at McDonald's? This could be excellent for convenient locations all over the province. The downside is high ICEing potential.
I saw many L3 chargers at McDonalds locations all over Sweden last summer. As long as they're close to some kind of restaurant, I guess we can't get too picky.

Koben systems may need supervision. At the press conference, two different models of fairly cheap GE Wattstation (L2) stations were on display. Hopefully, they didn't win this contract by underbidding with the intention of shorting taxpayers on quality.

The wall-mounted one is too flimsy and should be confined to heated garages.
The other one with a flat circular interface (optimized for collecting ice and snow) has a small LED screen which is completely unreadable in the sun. Koben might not understanff this because I couldn't see any EVs in their lot (except for the one hauled in for photo-ops.)

At least the ABB DCQC present at the contract's signing are of higher quality. One had a McDonald's logo. Has an agreement already been reached to install these at McDonald's? This could be excellent for convenient locations all over the province. The downside is high ICEing potential.
If they were smart they'd go with this company's chargers. Made by and for Canadian conditions.
Charging stations - Elmec | EVduty

It's the only charger I've seen rated down to -40 degrees.

• Informative
If they were smart they'd go with this company's chargers. Made by and for Canadian conditions.
Charging stations - Elmec | EVduty

It's the only charger I've seen rated down to -40 degrees.

Good point about the Winter. I think it's likely Koben was favored due to being in Ontario. Now they just have to deliver. This is a huge contract for a relatively small firm. Hopefully, Ontario will not regret excluding some of the more proven competitors.

• Informative
Interesting. What is the source of this information?

1) Simple math. GM sells tons of trucks in California where regulations are set to become stricter.They need as many ZEV credits as possible from Bolt sales to offset. Since 1st year production is expected to be in the 25,000-35,000 range, this doesn't leave much stock for Canada.

2) It's already happening with the 2017 Volt. There's a 2-4 month wait in Quebec at most dealers. Meanwhile, California dealer lots are well stocked. More telling is the $3,000 manufacturer rebate on the Volt which is not available in Canada. Heck, it's not even offered in Michigan. Only residents of the 10 ZEV states are eligible, which is a clear sign that GM is first and foremost angling for regulatory compliance.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush and Jaff
  • Informative
Hmmm...JML Electric in Oakville was awarded 4 level 2 and 1 level 3.
He is an authorized Tesla HPWC installer. He installed my HPWC at home and an Eaton 48A/208V J1772 at my office.

I wonder if there is any possibility of him installing a Tesla Supercharger as the level 3?...............Nah, it has to be universal........

I wonder if the Gov. was pushed by the big 3 so that they don't have to join Tesla superchargers or build their own infrastructure. Perhaps the response for the M3 was heard loud and clear by the big 3? Pure speculation just seems like a big investment. Then again government doesn't seem to work that fast! lol

1) Simple math. GM sells tons of trucks in California where regulations are set to become stricter.They need as many ZEV credits as possible from Bolt sales to offset. Since 1st year production is expected to be in the 25,000-35,000 range, this doesn't leave much stock for Canada.

2) It's already happening with the 2017 Volt. There's a 2-4 month wait in Quebec at most dealers. Meanwhile, California dealer lots are well stocked. More telling is the $3,000 manufacturer rebate on the Volt which is not available in Canada. Heck, it's not even offered in Michigan. Only residents of the 10 ZEV states are eligible, which is a clear sign that GM is first and foremost angling for regulatory compliance.
GM Canada sets its own priorities to suit the Canadian market. The 2016 Volt was available in Canada at the same time it was available in the CARB states.

A Volt forum member in Toronto just called a few dealers on Thursday, bought a 2017 Volt Saturday and took delivery on Tuesday. That's a three day wait.

GM Canada's website says "available Fall 2015." There are no pre-set constraints on Bolt availability in Ontario. No four month waiting period.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
GM Canada sets its own priorities to suit the Canadian market. The 2016 Volt was available in Canada at the same time it was available in the CARB states.

A Volt forum member in Toronto just called a few dealers on Thursday, bought a 2017 Volt Saturday and took delivery on Tuesday. That's a three day wait.

GM Canada's website says "available Fall 2015." There are no pre-set constraints on Bolt availability in Ontario. No four month waiting period.

I'd think the answer lies in "how many Bolts will GM produce in year 1"...if that number is only 50,000 units world wide, it would seem to me that we'd likely only see a handful of Bolts / GM dealer ...does anyone recall GM stating a first year production run total?

***Edit***

BREAKING: General Motors Confirms Chevrolet Bolt Production

"
General Motors is not yet ready to declare a start-of-production date. The automaker says “start of production and additional details will be announced later,” but we assume that previous reports of October 2016 for start of production will pan out to be accurate. First Bolts will likely be sold as Model Year 2017s.

Expect production volumes to be in the 20,000 to 30,000-unit rate annually once the ramp-up is well underway. The Bolt EV will share some components (platform) with the Chevrolet Sonic"

Yikes, 20-30,000 units is a pretty small number world wide...

Wonder when the actual sites of these chargers being installed by Koben will be available? When we drive down to London from Owen Sound in the winter have to charge to get back home. Have often had to take the long way home (apologies to Supertramp ) via the Woodstock supercharger. Hope there will be at least one on Hwy 23 somewhere!

@phillip - that's about 200 km - once there are some decent chargers in London wouldn't that suffice to just charge when you are in London?

As it is we use the 30 amp charger at the TD Canada Trust close by Masonville Mall in the north end while we eat at Tony Roma's near by, but 30 amps does not get you far. So in the winter we usually have to stop at Hanover for an hour to just get home, where there are two faster chargers.

The kicker is that the list says a level three near the 401 and also 6 level 2's throughout the city. But if one is only driving from the north into the city only as far as Western University, one would have to drive all the way through the city to use the level 3, charge, then drive all the way back through the city again just to get back to your starting point for going back up north. The waste of time and aggregation with all that driving would negate any advantage from using the charger in the first place. And if one is going to be going by London via the 401 then the Supercharger at Woodstock would be a better option anyway. So for Tesla drivers the one level 3 designated for London is of limited use, though obviously very important for non-Teslarians. But a single level 3 somewhere north of London would benefit Tesla and non-Tesla drivers in the whole area north and northwest of London.

Wonder when the actual sites of these chargers being installed by Koben will be available? When we drive down to London from Owen Sound in the winter have to charge to get back home. Have often had to take the long way home (apologies to Supertramp ) via the Woodstock supercharger. Hope there will be at least one on Hwy 23 somewhere!

Not London.........but if you are ever in Brampton/Mississauga, and heading back to Owen Sound, please visit us, just outside of Orangeville, near #10. Only 40 Amps at 245 volt (50 KM/hr), but coffee and wifi. We've had many drop in via Owen Sound and Collingwood, Happy to give you a bit of charge. Silver Fox Farm Riding Arena | Orangeville, ON | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Reactions: SmartElectric
Not London.........but if you are ever in Brampton/Mississauga, and heading back to Owen Sound, please visit us, just outside of Orangeville, near #10. Only 40 Amps at 245 volt (50 KM/hr), but coffee and wifi. We've had many drop in via Owen Sound and Collingwood, Happy to give you a bit of charge. Silver Fox Farm Riding Arena | Orangeville, ON | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
Thanks for the offer. Noticed your site on Plugshare. Rumor has it that a new Model S owner from here had to be towed from around Orangeville due to running out of charge