Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV incentives upped to $14K... and decreased to $3k for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MEC, which advised Ottawa, gets most of its funding from the auto industry, so of course they recommend cash rebates, but not taxes on gaz guzzlers nor zero emission regulations.

The BMW 330e featured in the ridiculous Tesla-bashing commercials appears to be in line for a 8,577$ provincial rebate in Ontario. They really need to revamp the rules to avoid favoring luxury cars with miniscule batteries.

Example : Instead of the 75,000$ cutoff make it 40,000$ + 800$ per kWh

Anybody think it's possible we see a sub $75K model S available soon?

The current design studio shows a base S60 priced at $86K (including $1300 destination fee).

Now, if the model S starts using batteries from the gigafactory that would eliminate the 6.1% NAFTA tariff.
Subtract from that the new info about possible discounts for pay per use supercharging.. lets say $2K.

Now we have: $84.7K/1.061 - $2K = $77.8K

Pretty close to $75K!
Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: Ktowntslafan

The current design studio shows a base S60 priced at $86K (including $1300 destination fee).

Now, if the model S starts using batteries from the gigafactory that would eliminate the 6.1% NAFTA tariff.
Subtract from that the new info about possible discounts for pay per use supercharging.. lets say $2K.

Pretty close to $75K!
Thoughts?
If they could make this happen, it would be huge!

Pretty close to $75K!
Thoughts?
I highly doubt it. Call me cynical but I see Tesla making 6.1% more profit from Canadian customers once battery production starts.

I highly doubt it. Call me cynical but I see Tesla making 6.1% more profit from Canadian customers once battery production starts.

Actually that's something I would not expect from Tesla. If there's a break in duties they will pass it along.

It won't happen immediately. Tesla is going to be making a different size of cell at the Gigafactory, which won't work in the current battery packs. In time they will likely re-engineer the Model S/X battery packs, but that won't happen immediately. There may also be problems fitting the larger form factor into the packs.

Pretty close to $75K!
Thoughts?

This exact question came up (raised by me) at a recent Tesla Sunday Social and the answer was very ambiguous and noncommittal. The presentation covered how the Gigafactory's increased efficiencies and N. American production would help them keep the cost of the Model 3 down, but when I asked if the same would be true for Model S and X, the answer was very close to a "probably not".

This exact question came up (raised by me) at a recent Tesla Sunday Social and the answer was very ambiguous and noncommittal. The presentation covered how the Gigafactory's increased efficiencies and N. American production would help them keep the cost of the Model 3 down, but when I asked if the same would be true for Model S and X, the answer was very close to a "probably not".
Not an outright confirmation but. This was my thinking.

Except here we are talking about more of a difference, maybe 13.5k after the next price hike. I think we would need to see the cdn dollar move much closer to the usd to see it. After all, they would still have to sell the vehicle to someone if they didn't choose the no brainer pkg, which would be at a huge loss for Tesla.

Yes, the bigger price difference and the recent weakening of the dollar doesn't help the chances of Tesla offering a similar plan in Ontario. I also don't think all Teslas would become eligible, probably only 60s.

However, they could remove Superchargering from the stripped-down version (it's still included in Germany) and take an additional $2,500 off the price. Well, at least for another two months.

Cutting rebates on base Teslas while increasing them on $90,000 (after options) PHEVs with 25 km range does not help in lowering emissions.

But I suspect it was protectionism. The same reason Mississauga-based KSI, an outfit that has never installed a single DCFC station, was awarded the lion's share (144/211) of the provincial -financed CHAdeMO/CCS project over bids from established out-of-province companies.

Apparently, they have only three employees, so I hope they have hired enough competent outside contractors to complete the project. Ontario's official line is still that all installations will be complete by the original deadline of March 31, 2017, but it seems unlikely. August would be more reasonable, considering the size of the project and the red-tape (look how long it sometimes takes TM to complete Superchargers in Canada). However, I am not sure KSI can even deliver by then. So far, after six months only 3/211 sites are complete (none of which are KSI's).

Reactions: Jaff
Yes, the bigger price difference and the recent weakening of the dollar doesn't help the chances of Tesla offering a similar plan in Ontario. I also don't think all Teslas would become eligible, probably only 60s.

However, they could remove Superchargering from the stripped-down version (it's still included in Germany) and take an additional $2,500 off the price. Well, at least for another two months.

Cutting rebates on base Teslas while increasing them on $90,000 (after options) PHEVs with 25 km range does not help in lowering emissions.

But I suspect it was protectionism. The same reason Mississauga-based KSI, an outfit that has never installed a single DCFC station, was awarded the lion's share (144/211) of the provincial -financed CHAdeMO/CCS project over bids from established out-of-province companies.

Apparently, they have only three employees, so I hope they have hired enough competent outside contractors to complete the project. Ontario's official line is still that all installations will be complete by the original deadline of March 31, 2017, but it seems unlikely. August would be more reasonable, considering the size of the project and the red-tape (look how long it sometimes takes TM to complete Superchargers in Canada). However, I am not sure KSI can even deliver by then. So far, after six months only 3/211 sites are complete (none of which are KSI's).
Interesting about koben Systems (KSI) getting half of that 20 M. I thought that was sketchy considering they're not known for being an established player in the DCFC world.
The company has been federally incorporated since 2010.
The only director listed is Vic Buraconak. Apparently the one person with feedback about him did not have anything nice to say. Mind you it's one person so take that with a grain of salt. Vic Buraconak is a Director in Ontario, Toronto GTA, Mississauga. Check for reviews on LandOfFree.com

The koben web site is now a single landing page with not much useful information other than stating its being updated. LinkedIn lists the company as having 11-50 employees. They seem to deploy the ABB dual DCFC chargers.

Apparently the one person with feedback about him did not have anything nice to say. Mind you it's one person so take that with a grain of salt. Vic Buraconak is a Director in Ontario, Toronto GTA, Mississauga. Check for reviews on LandOfFree.com

There's another unhappy person as well in the comments after this article: In 2017, Ontario will add 493 charging stations for electric vehicles

It's hard to judge the veracity of Internet comments, but someone identifies themselves as a sibling and states Mr. Buraconak swindled them out of their inheritance.

I think i would have been better for this project to have been in stages by only awarding 1/3 of the grants to start. Then for the rest of the project they could have selected locations and partners based on experience from the first stage. Now, if this unknown entity, KSI, fails to deliver, nearly the entire project will fail or be delayed.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff and Falkirk