Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like that idea, @felixculpas, except then anyone who paid for FSD would rightly say "Hey! No fair!!". And If Tesla rebated those drivers for FSD, then US drivers would say "Hey! No fair!!" etc. (I think you switched EAP and FSD in your OP, no?)

No, that was intended. My twisted logic was that clearly Tesla would like more people to order FSD given their recent change, increasing the cost after you take delivery. Though I do realize the degree to which everyone else would say it's not fair, esp those who bought it. So it's likely very flawed logic but just a first thought in regards to what Tesla might be able to do. Remember, the key here is we ARE unique if we are being allowed to cancel. So if this is a cancel vs take this offer, it's not really applicable to everyone else.

OK, I’ve been thinking about this a bit. Tesla won’t have any success negotiating with Ford. Why? Because Ford hates them and Tesla drivers. If your local MPP is NDP or Liberal then they will likely also have no success changing Ford’s mind. Why? He hates them too. Our only hope is to petition PC MPPs and try to impress upon them just how unfair the MANNER of the wind down is to their constituents. With that in mind, I’ve crafted this email and I would recommend we all send it out to all the PC MPPs out there. If we can have Ford’s MPPs pushing him to loosen up a bit then we might have a chance…

Dear Mr./Ms. MPP,

Recently Premier Ford announced the cancellation of cap-and-trade, along with the green initiatives tied to it. Although I believe in climate change I understand that there are many ways to tackle this problem and Ontario’s Cap and Trade solution may not be the best of them. As such, my email today is not in protest to the cancellation of Cap and Trade and its associated green initiatives. Rather, it is in protest to the MANNER in which it is being cancelled, specifically in regards to the EVHIP program.

On July 11th, Premier Ford’s team announced the immediate cancellation of the program. The only way to still qualify for the rebate would be if one satisfied one of the following two conditions:
  • Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
Although this gives dealers a ‘wind-down’ period, it offers no such consideration to consumers. I believe this was done specifically to target Tesla buyers as they buy directly from the manufacturer, especially as Premier Ford has referred to Tesla owners as ‘downtown liberals’ and ‘millionaires’. This is simply not true. The only Tesla that is currently on the list of approved vehicles (i.e. the Model 3) is aimed at middle class Ontarians. After the rebate, gas savings, and savings on maintenance, the pricing of the Model 3 is in-line with non-luxury brands, such as Honda, Toyota, and GM. For most of us, the rebate is the difference between affordability and non-affordability. Many of us have ordered this car in good faith, placing a $4,200 non-refundable deposit. We now face a no-win scenario; either cancel our orders and lose $4,200, or commit to buying a car that we can no longer afford.

All I am asking is that Premier Ford extend to us, his constituents, the same consideration he is offering to businesses (i.e. the dealers); honour those orders that were placed prior to July 11th providing the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10th. As it stands, it seems as though Premier Ford is intentionally targeting Tesla, but is really only hurting his people. We voted-in Premier Ford in good faith, so please don’t break faith with us now – wind down this program in an equitable manner.

Sincerely,

NAME

Take this, change it, make it your own, and then send it to ALL the PC MPPs. A complete listing of their emails can be found here: Current MPPs | Legislative Assembly of Ontario. It's time we stopped whining about how unfair this is and do what we can to fight it.

I appreciate the effort, but I think canvassing the Ford government is a lost cause. If we agree much of the reason they cancelled the program is for optics with their base, how would it look if the news was "Ford extends rebate to buyers of Tesla electric cars worth $65,000+". I just don't see that happening. At all.

I think, as I posted earlier, there's more chance of getting a sympathetic and self-interested federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna to step in.

I appreciate the effort, but I think canvassing the Ford government is a lost cause. If we agree much of the reason they cancelled the program is for optics with their base, how would it look if the news was "Ford extends rebate to buyers of Tesla electric cars worth $65,000+". I just don't see that happening. At all.

I think, as I posted earlier, there's more chance of getting a sympathetic and self-interested federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna to step in.
You might be right. But what do we have to lose by trying? Also, Ford has already won the optics game; the program is cancelled and winding down quickly. So he honours a few orders where non-refundable deposits have been placed. Big whoopy.

But I do think that petitioning McKenna is also a good idea and should be done as well. In the end, our best hope may well be a federal EV incentive program.

The optics don't have to change, just the interpretation of the current terms. Keep the terms the same, just include Tesla in the "independent dealerships" category. The general public would never know. As stated above, it really doesn't cost much to try.

I have a feeling you are right. Not that people shouldn't canvass the Ford government and voice their displeasure though.

Too bad the feds aren't stepping up and saying that orders received effective IMMEDIATELY are HST free. I'm sure they are following this.

Indeed - or a Federal tax credit like what they have in the US. A $10k federal tax credit would have me back on-board.

RE: Canvassing PC MPPs

Look at it like this: imagine you're invited to play a 20-30 minute game. If you win, you get a $14,000. It's free to play. If your chances of winning were 30%, 20%, or even 10% would you honestly say 'nah, odds are too low for me to spend my time doing that!' Just how low would the odds be before you decide to not even try?

Consider as well that there is strength in numbers; the more of us push for this, the greater are the odds of succeeding.

Reactions: Amandeep and KayZee
Doesn't matter; Tesla isn't filing the rebate for you. You are filing it for yourself. You're not a dealer. End of story.

Don't you think that if that route was possible that Tesla would have worked it?

Dealer or not dealer, this topic already discussed, no? Tesla registered as dealer in Ontario, and EHVIP will honour if ordered (RWD) before July 11, and vehicle is delivered, registered, plated before Sep 10. So, delivery date is the problem, and AWD has only 0.01% of chance to get rebate...

Hi guys im new to this forum and I just joined to join this fight against the Incentive Cancellation that affected only the Model 3 "future owners".
Im so frustrated because I placed a deposit the same day of the review (2+ years ago), I sold my Bolt EV to order my Model 3. I had my delivery date set for june 19 and out of nowhere they told me the date was wrong and the car was still in transit so they set for July 18...
I received a call and email from my rep Rachel Lopes from Ontario yesterday with the news... I got so desperate.

Answering a few questions here, they are offering the refund of the $4200 in full. But she told me that Tesla is trying to do something about it but it wouldnt be anything for the near future...

I think Tesla could offer us a few things as part of the appreciation of the ones that still in line:
1. Discount or
2. Free upgrade or
3. Free super charger
I know Tesla doesnt have to do any of those because they got nothing to do with the government, but just to compensate for the unfair move that us believers got hit by.
And also thinking on how much they would loose if 50+% cancel their orders...

I completed my order on June 29. Does anyone know the cancellation / refund policy. Even with the rebate I could barely justify the purchase and now without it, I can't.

(also somewhere on the post someone mentioned the long ratnge AWD model was not eligible anyway...is this correct? I was sure when put through the order, it showed I would have gotten the rebate)

Thanks.

I completed my order on June 29. Does anyone know the cancellation / refund policy. Even with the rebate I could barely justify the purchase and now without it, I can't.

(also somewhere on the post someone mentioned the long ratnge AWD model was not eligible anyway...is this correct? I was sure when put through the order, it showed I would have gotten the rebate)

Thanks.
The AWD wont qualify because it wont arrive by september 20

And I got a message from my rep saying they are issuing a full refund for the 4200

Dealer or not dealer, this topic already discussed, no? Tesla registered as dealer in Ontario, and EHVIP will honour if ordered (RWD) before July 11, and vehicle is delivered, registered, plated before Sep 10. So, delivery date is the problem, and AWD has only 0.01% of chance to get rebate...

You may have missed this late day development from yesterday. Apparently, Tesla was notified by the Ontario government that orders in progress do NOT qualify for EHVIP. See this message below from Tesla to a prospective Model 3 owner (about to take delivery!):

y9fpzv1ydl911.jpg

The same message has been relayed to a few other forum members here by Ontario Tesla advisors. The original reddit thread is here: r/teslamotors - Just suddenly lost the Canada EHVIP rebate on a car already coming my way.

• Informative
Reactions: mahagala

The AWD model was never eligible for the rebate since it was never on the MTO list of eligible vehicles here:
Eligible Electric Vehicles

If the rebate program had continued, AWD would likely have been added in due time. However, since the program is now cancelled, the list of eligible vehicles won't be updated.

There's definitely a time window of people who have been screwed. Basically, people who reserved early-on, waited patiently, couldn't order AWD, waited patiently some more, finally could end up ordering, missed the EVIP window. I understand it's not Tesla's fault, but they do have some ability to do some goodwill for these people (like myself). Under certain circumstances they can provide free, for the early reservation holders, EAP and FSD capability and include free supercharging while the car is owned by the original owner. This would apply to Ontario reservation holders who missed the EVIP. The value is around $10k. Tesla would probably get the revenue down the road on a re-sale anyway. Meanwhile, it would definitely buy a lot of a goodwill (it certainly would for me) and helps 'make things right'.

I know I skipped the EAP partially because the EVIP was shakey when I ordered the AWD. I likely would have added it should the EVIP come through. The cost to Tesla is $0 and this would only apply to a small number of purchasers. They could also provide significant discounts on accessories like wall connectors, snow tire sets, or future credits to vehicle purchases. Just some ideas. I know they don't have to do anything, but, on the other hand, they did 'advertise' the $14,000 discount and so they leveraged the program to make their marketing more appealing.

Providing a no-questions ask refund option (make it available now on the website) would also be a nice goodwill gesture.

Let's face it, the move to EV still faces a lot of hurdles. We're all in this together. Tesla makes a great product but Tesla is nothing without customers, and customers probably wouldn't want EV's right now if it weren't for Tesla. Let's move forward as a team.

He would have got 10 million more if he was terminated or would have his contact terminated but he retired.

Not sure why Ford would allow this guy and the board to stay after they voted themselves to have more termination pay right before the election, speaks to the culture. To me that's a dereliction of duty to protect stakeholders, they're not supposed to be protecting themselves financially.

Cause he didn't want a 5 year court battle I'd guess. The part that gets me is he blatant dishonesty telling ppl it's only costing them $400k. He's acting a little too much like trump atm for my liking.

Reactions: TrevTremaine