Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, because the dealership didn't order the car, you did. (Unless you went to the Tesla dealership and had them process your order.)
I placed my order through the dealership in Oakville and I saw some people placing orders at Yorkdale. Since I ordered through the dealership, I asked MTO if that makes me eligible for the incentive. I have not received a response but they responded to another inquiry I had, regarding AWD, the same day. I think they know their line about 'directly from manufacturer' is an inaccurate way of saying no Teslas and we know it's not fair.
Out of all the dealerships, I can't believe the Premier chose the startup company to pick on. I wonder what would have happened if they said everyone still gets the rebate except Toyotas?

• Disagree
Reactions: ZsoZso and adaptabl
I placed my order through the dealership in Oakville and I saw some people placing orders at Yorkdale. Since I ordered through the dealership, I asked MTO if that makes me eligible for the incentive. I have not received a response but they responded to another inquiry I had, regarding AWD, the same day. I think they know their line about 'directly from manufacturer' is an inaccurate way of saying no Teslas and we know it's not fair.
Out of all the dealerships, I can't believe the Premier chose the startup company to pick on. I wonder what would have happened if they said everyone still gets the rebate except Toyotas?
The government will likely ask if you placed your order through the dealership or make a reservation through them?

I know I placed my order online after my reservation was complete.

How about saying NO to anyone that MAGNA has contracts with.

Same. I did it at Oakville. Wonder if that helps.. lol. Grasping at anything I can

• Disagree
Reactions: ZsoZso and adaptabl
Same. I did it at Oakville. Wonder if that helps.. lol. Grasping at anything I can

So I did and configured with their help in their dealership... nobody advised me on the differences between dealer orders and non-dealer orders.

Leave it to them to try and prove you wrong... they wont be able to. OMVIC affords certain protections and is there to protect consumers. They are registered in accordance with the laws in Ontario.

Meanwhile in the USA:

A bill to remove the 200,000-vehicle cap for electric car manufacturers and extend the $7,500 tax credit for new EVs until 2028 gained more supporters recently, with Rep. Darren Soto (D-FL) and Rep. James P. McGovern (D-MA) signing as cosponsors of H.R.6274, also known as the Electric CARS Act of 2018.

Tesla buyers eye new EV bill that extends $7500 tax credit and removes 200k cap

And applied at point of purchase!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mjavor and PAWilson
I don’t think there is any doubt they picked on Tesla. They just don’t want the other companiles to lose out because they know Tesla has the superior product ( and screw the consumers because they can afford it! Which is totally untrue!). I really want Elon to teach them a lesson that they can’t pick on one company. Needless to say the PC’s will be remebered by all of us the stunt they pulled.

I don’t think there is any doubt they picked on Tesla. They just don’t want the other companiles to lose out because they know Tesla has the superior product ( and screw the consumers because they can afford it! Which is totally untrue!). I really want Elon to teach them a lesson that they can’t pick on one company. Needless to say the PC’s will be remebered by all of us the stunt they pulled.

I don’t think they picked on Tesla for anything more then finances, if Tesla can deliver 2000 vehicles before Sept 10 that equals 28 million dollars, compared to how many of the rest of the vehicles combined they will move, 200 maybe at all of the dealerships? (I know the comments in past about Tesla owners being millionaires)

If you were to walk down the street and ask people if they were happy that the province was “saving” 28 million by screwing 2000 of us over they would say that is great, it sucks for us but it’s the truth. (Again I know that’s not the way cap/trade worked but people have a money in money out view)

Unless Tesla can do something for us, or the federal liberals try to do some of their famous virtue signaling and create a federal program then it seems we are *sugar* out of luck. 300-400 of us might cancel, some might keep but the world will keep turning

I was saying that yesterday. I will NEVER consider voting or supporting another PC candidate or govt. again.
This includes Federal.
I Use to vote for the party that had my views, Conservative values and financially conservative, but both provincial and federal are no longer centrist. I never use to be political but once you get screwed over you will never forget.
done with the PC's. Gas saving from the elimination of CAP and Trade is approx $100 per year for 15,000 km. If we ever see a reduction. Shouldn't we be seeing it now?

Voting Green from here on in. Might be considered a wasted vote but you have to start somewhere. Can't move out of the province or I'd consider doing so. Maybe I'll investigate the feasibility of moving to Guelph and support Mike Schreiner nipping at Ford's heels the next 4 years. :)

Been a conservative voter till this past election. This is what happens when you vote people in that won't even put together a costed platform. I voted NDP hoping for a minority to at least help offset Ford's bullying.

It’s probably because you ordered AWD which was never on the rebate list so they assume you know you were never going to get a rebate at this point. Still would’ve been nice if they’d communicated with you though. If you do want a refund I would call before the end of the week to ask.

I should have mentioned in my OP that I submitted my order June 28th knowing from the Ford statements that my chances of getting the $14K rebate were less than 50/50, even less since AWD is necessary in my case.

But I'm buying regardless - I am totally entranced / obsessed by Tesla and the Model 3! I admit though, I can afford it. I just need to adapt my payment schedule :confused:

• Love
Reactions: SmartElectric
Hear you. Would love to know what this number is... 2000 is crazy high considering that Tesla already delivered a big batch AND this is Ontario only (not all of Canada). My best uneducated guess is 100-200 for RWD car that qualifies.
Right. There is a large batch that already took delivery (I'm guessing around 2000). Those are eligble. There is another batch of people that configured, but did not yet take delivery. I'm guessing that is still around 1K. There would have been an influx of people that placed orders trying to get in before the supposed June 29th cutoff that was circling earlier.

Given the spike in EV sales that will have occurred in Q2, it will be interesting to see how things tail off. Could provide an interesting chart that accentuates how impactful the removal of incentives is.

I think it will be high, I consider myself middle income (for Toronto) and I could justify a $50,000 car, that’s what most Fords and general brands become by the time you add all the features, I just can’t bite the bullet on a $65,000 car.

Reactions: Velianou