Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so sorry. We are still struggling whether to go ahead or not. But our VW need expensive work done again. So we are going to need another car. Now it's deciding which route to go.

There are no easy choices while staying in the Tesla family. Not till used M3's become available anyway. This would be a very difficult decision I would imagine.

Presuming a primarily budget driven decision, the obvious factor is annual mileage costs. Some can justify on that alone. If you can't, an interim choice would be a used hybrid or PHEV perhaps and then maybe wait to see if the feds roll out an incentive.

Reactions: adaptabl
This sucks. I'm under the impression that we qualify for the rebate given our order is in mid transaction and happened before July 11. I already have the stupid Tesla wall charger sitting at home, I just did not install it yet. $14,000 is HUGE. Anyone call the EV number to verify?

I'm going to give them a call and see, otherwise if they don't I will most likely cancel, so unfair though!
It is unfortunate about the timing. Sorry.
Hey adaptabl -
Why like the post? It is almost like you are happy they missed out on the ev rebate.

Reactions: adaptabl
Anyone else find this a bit disappointing from Tesla? I’m a big Tesla fan boy but they are complete radio silent on Ontario and have done nothing

And then if you do want your money back 2-3 months?? On top of the month or years they’ve already had some of it. They can take your money instantly but take months to give it back to you!

It's not Tesla's problem the Ontario Government decided to screw us over.

They have always been slow on issuing money back. It's just not a business process they have dedicated many resources to is my guess though it could be they also want to make absolutely sure you aren't flip-flopping your decisions.

Personally, I'm OK with it as I at least get some VISA points.

Also on the fence now. Ordered AWD when it became available. I've seen the car (RWD) and based on other annoyance factors (like the lack of a key fob, lack of instrument cluster, lack of quality on the build, etc) - I'd put the value of the car around $50k. With the rebate that brings the MSRP of $70k inline. Without the rebate, there is no doubt this car is completely overpriced.

I love how people are shouting "take my money!!" about this car without considering it's short comings. I was willing to overlook these because the rebate brought the value back in line. Another huge potential problem is the low number of service centers in Ontario. I wonder what will happen if my car breaks down - it has to be towed, a rental arranged, repaired etc... this could take weeks or months if going by experiences in other threads. Again, was willing to overlook this - now I am more and more unsure.

No official comments by Tesla, very disappointing. No phone call, no e-mail, no update on my ordering page, absolutely zero communication. No mention of any goodwill gesture (hey, how about free EAP to make up for some of this?). I also have to shell out $3000 to upgrade my electrical service to support this vehicle.

I love how people are shouting "take my money!!" about this car without considering it's short comings. I was willing to overlook these because the rebate brought the value back in line. Another huge potential problem is the low number of service centers in Ontario. I wonder what will happen if my car breaks down - it has to be towed, a rental arranged, repaired etc... this could take weeks or months if going by experiences in other threads. Again, was willing to overlook this - now I am more and more unsure."

For now, it's all about demand. As demand declines, they will have to tow the line but in the interim they are getting a bit of a free pass on many issues. For everyone like you, there are 3 that will gladly take your vehicle.

When incentives are removed, sales drop like a stone. This is the reality of the situation.

Last edited:
Also on the fence now. Ordered AWD when it became available. I've seen the car (RWD) and based on other annoyance factors (like the lack of a key fob, lack of instrument cluster, lack of quality on the build, etc) - I'd put the value of the car around $50k. With the rebate that brings the MSRP of $70k inline. Without the rebate, there is no doubt this car is completely overpriced.

I love how people are shouting "take my money!!" about this car without considering it's short comings. I was willing to overlook these because the rebate brought the value back in line. Another huge potential problem is the low number of service centers in Ontario. I wonder what will happen if my car breaks down - it has to be towed, a rental arranged, repaired etc... this could take weeks or months if going by experiences in other threads. Again, was willing to overlook this - now I am more and more unsure.

No official comments by Tesla, very disappointing. No phone call, no e-mail, no update on my ordering page, absolutely zero communication. No mention of any goodwill gesture (hey, how about free EAP to make up for some of this?). I also have to shell out $3000 to upgrade my electrical service to support this vehicle.
It doesn't sound like you are on the fence at all :confused::)

Reactions: Vintre

Then don't buy it, but trust me, from a life-long BMW driver, this Model 3 is amazing. Key Fob is the only real issue, everything else is not really factors once you drive it

Then don't buy it, but trust me, from a life-long BMW driver, this Model 3 is amazing. Key Fob is the only real issue, everything else is not really factors once you drive it

As I said, on the fence. I know the driving aspect will be excellent. The build quality means that the depreciation will likely be very high (I pretty much will assume the car will probably be close to $0 after 5 yrs)... that means the present value should be much less than they're asking.

As I said, on the fence. I know the driving aspect will be excellent. The build quality means that the depreciation will likely be very high (I pretty much will assume the car will probably be close to $0 after 5 yrs)... that means the present value should be much less than they're asking.
Thanks for the laugh - I almost spit out my lunch laughing at that comment :D

Reactions: NoBeard and Vintre
The trunk is a little wonky with the inserts to awkwardly pull it down if you want to avoid putting your hands on the paint. I'd have preferred automatic closing but maybe the Y will have that.

At the end of the day, it's a relatively small auto mfg that's produced some amazing advancements and for the environment. If what they are doing speaks to your spirit, you will be inclined to support them.

USNews:

upload_2018-7-19_12-21-53.png

I went to Tesla Oakville today to ask a few questions regarding our situation:

I was concerned about not being able to get my deposit back if I have been assigned a VIN.

They told me that Tesla would give the deposit back. I am assuming as long as you cancel within a couple of days after.

I also asked if they have received any direction or status update from Tesla head office. They told me nothing as of yet. Head office is still working on the issue. They will give some sort of status update to inform the customers who have orders in place.

They told me to wait a few more days if I could. I said as long as I can get my deposit back No Problem. They gave me a number to call If i needed to cancel.

Side note: Tesla depreciation values have historically been very low compared to any in its class.
I have driven this vehicle a few times and Yes it is a game changer of a vehicle at the CN $50,000 mark.

Let me know when you sell your next car - I'd be willing to give you your assessed value any day and flip it for some great returns.

I've seen the car (RWD) and based on other annoyance factors (like the lack of a key fob, lack of instrument cluster, lack of quality on the build, etc) - I'd put the value of the car around $50k.

I read all those posts too before I got my 3. I would have never bought my S if I didn't have the basic understanding that when something goes wrong, people go to complain on a forum. You should have seen all the things said to be wrong with the S in 2013 when I bought. But I knew that when things work fine, few if any come to a forum to post "all is well". That's why you can't rely on anecdotal evidence on forums, regardless of how many people post about it because there's thousands more people out there not posting. So here's some facts for you:

Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction

If all your negative posts about Tesla are really true, it would not have the highest "would buy again" of any car maker -- 90% -- and that question is the best test of customer satisfaction. It's the highest by far -- as you will note.

But the fob issue was a concern, especially since my wife would be driving it a lot and she's not great at even knowing how to turn on blue tooth on her phone. But I showed her the card, how it works too, it's in her wallet, but it's not been needed since it's worked flawlessly with her iphone (knock wood). It works great too with my android too. I find it one of the best features of the car. I wish my S had it too.

I love how people are shouting "take my money!!" about this car without considering it's short comings.

I couldn't shout loud enough after having my S for over 4 years now and counting, and this summer so far has been great with our 3. It's an unbelievable car. I'm still looking for the shortcomings.

No official comments by Tesla, very disappointing. No phone call, no e-mail, no update on my ordering page, absolutely zero communication. No mention of any goodwill gesture (hey, how about free EAP to make up for some of this?).

Tesla rushes these cars up to us so we can take advantage of our rebates before they go away, and most of us here SHOUTED: jump in fast because the Ontario rebate can't last long regardless of who is in power. $14k to Tesla owners for an expensive vehicle was just too good to last. Heck, even $5k in BC is going away -- and the fact that we're all mortal, made me jump in and not wait for AWD, and I really wanted AWD.

Another huge potential problem is the low number of service centers in Ontario. I wonder what will happen if my car breaks down - it has to be towed, a rental arranged, repaired etc... this could take weeks or months if going by experiences in other threads. Again, was willing to overlook this - now I am more and more unsure.

The same was said here -- when I bought there was only one very small shop on Powell St. for everyone in Western Canada -- and they sold a ton of Teslas out here. Yet, I've never had better service from any other car maker, including BMW -- and it continues to this day. In fact, I have a couple of issues with my 3 (condensation in tail light and glove box latch) and they keep calling me to do a mobile repair, but I keep putting them off since I'm back and forth with it to my cabin and work -- and there's just no time in the summer for the fix. Too much fun with the car!

The build quality means that the depreciation will likely be very high (I pretty much will assume the car will probably be close to $0 after 5 yrs)... that means the present value should be much less than they're asking.

Same was said about the S. Again, the facts:

Tesla Model S retains its value better than gas-powered cars in its segment, losing only 28% after 50k miles

Plus, if you're concerned about money and resale value, how much is gas in Ontario? I've had my S over 4 years now, no oil changes, no new brakes, -- only wipers, washer fluid and new tires. I've saved huge on gas, etc, and I plan to keep it 8 - 10 years. By that time, it will have cost me about the same as a Camry, and that's without a $14k rebate on a less expensive car -- the 3. That's going to cost people a whole lot less when all is said and done for most of us who keep and cherish them -- but you seem to only think depreciation after a few years -- all cars do that -- and Tesla hold out better than others. Add the other savings and the comparison is out the window.

And people got $14k off on it in Ontario and waited for AWD and now blame Tesla when the rebate is gone? That gave me a really good laugh. We all shouted at you to order, and to Tesla to TAKE OUR MONEY!!!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. We are still struggling whether to go ahead or not. But our VW need expensive work done again. So we are going to need another car. Now it's deciding which route to go.

I feel you bro...i thought i would cancel.. i was in shock for a moment after the cancellation...

I looked at mercedes... audi... porsche...

I just cant do it. The model 3 is a statement piece. Sporty... stylish... and clean.

The 14 k works out to a couple hundred per month..

Let me know when you're selling ... I'll give you $1... better than 0
As EV's advance and become more popular (and Haters eat crow), ICE cars will be the ones depreciating, not EVs.

Reactions: lukex4 and Canuck