Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Signing off of the site as I say g'bye to my car tomorrow. I wish you all well and hope @adaptabl gets the therapy needed. there are lots of books and courses on relationship building and anger management.

Who say's I need help? I get along perfectly with all my personalities. I just asked them and they all agree I am perfect in every way.

Should we consider file a complaint to Ontario Ombudsman, they oversees all Ministry of the Ontario government.
They investigate unfairness, maladministration etc. Example: Broken promises, Failure to provide information, Misleading or inaccurate statements, Inadequate consultation, Disparity in treatment, unfairness, Error, wrong advice/decision

If there is enough people file the complaint, they can make it as a urgent case.
Make a Complaint - Ontario Ombudsman

I did. Twice so far. I was thinking of sending one a day. For sh!ts and giggles at this point. I don't see anything happening in our favour.

By that logic I should have gotten a bonus because my province doesn’t have a rebate at all.

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING DONE BY TESLA. The ONLY reason Tesla would have to give freebies like that is if they screwed up. Tesla didn’t, this is ALL down to the bonehead elected who caused the whole issue. Go badger HIM if you want a freebie.

I'm not expecting any freebies from Tesla but I am expecting some communication to the effect of "Remember the $14k incentive we included in your order costing? It's no longer relevant." I haven't heard from them at all.

Having said that, if Tesla were to provide affected orders with some sort of gift in lieu of the government's discriminatory practices, the goodwill that would generate could be tremendous. They're already offering full refunds of deposits which is admirable. However, I want my car! Am I expecting Tesla to offer anything though? Absolutely not.

Reactions: Abrew2014
So after writing to the MPP's, the Ministry of Transportation, Consumers Ontario, I finally called the Ombudsman. I had an interesting conversation. I was first told I had to wait for a response from the Ministry before the Ombudsman could get involved, but after hanging up I received a call back 5 mins later where I was asked to send in the emails already sent to the Ministry of Transportation I suggest all those who are on the fence and pushing to be heard, send the email to the MTO and then call the Ombudsman.

I have included below the info:
Ministry of Transportation:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Ombudsman Tel No: 1800-263-1830

This is the email I sent to the Ministry of Transportation which someone else drafted here earlier. Please indicate in the subject heading of your email this is a time sensitive issue and to response at their earliest convenience. I also requested a confirmation of receipt.

Recently Premier Ford announced the cancellation of cap-and-trade, along with the green initiatives tied to it. Although I believe in climate change I understand that there are many ways to tackle this problem and Ontario’s Cap and Trade solution may not be the best of them. As such, my email today is not in protest to the cancellation of Cap and Trade and its associated green initiatives. Rather, it is in protest to the MANNER in which it is being cancelled, specifically in regards to the EHVIP program.

On July 11th, Premier Ford’s team announced the immediate cancellation of the program. The only way to still qualify for the rebate would be if one satisfied one of the following two conditions:

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
Although this gives dealers a ‘wind-down’ period, it offers no such consideration to consumers. I believe this was done specifically to target Tesla buyers as they buy directly from the manufacturer, especially as Premier Ford has referred to Tesla owners as ‘downtown liberals’ and ‘millionaires’. This is simply not true. The only Tesla that is currently on the list of approved vehicles (i.e. the Model 3) is aimed at middle class Ontarians. After the rebate, gas savings, and savings on maintenance, the pricing of the Model 3 is in-line with non-luxury brands, such as Honda, Toyota, and GM. For most of us, the rebate is the difference between affordability and non-affordability. Many of us have ordered this car in good faith, placing a $4,200 non-refundable deposit. We now face a no-win scenario; either cancel our orders and lose $4,200, or commit to buying a car that we can no longer afford.

All I am asking is that Premier Ford extend to us, his constituents, the same consideration he is offering to businesses (i.e. the dealers); honour those orders that were placed prior to July 11th providing the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10th. As it stands, it seems as though Premier Ford is intentionally targeting Tesla, but is really only hurting his people. We voted-in Premier Ford in good faith, so please don’t break faith with us now – wind down this program in an equitable manner.

I'm not expecting any freebies from Tesla but I am expecting some communication to the effect of "Remember the $14k incentive we included in your order costing? It's no longer relevant." I haven't heard from them at all.

Having said that, if Tesla were to provide affected orders with some sort of gift in lieu of the government's discriminatory practices, the goodwill that would generate could be tremendous. They're already offering full refunds of deposits which is admirable. However, I want my car! Am I expecting Tesla to offer anything though? Absolutely not.
Tesla pulled mention of it from their website the day it was announced. They don’t have the manpower to call everyone, nor did everyone leave an email address for a mass email advisory. They rely on word of mouth, via sites like this one to disseminate information.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ludatik
Tesla pulled mention of it from their website the day it was announced. They don’t have the manpower to call everyone, nor did everyone leave an email address for a mass email advisory. They rely on word of mouth, via sites like this one to disseminate information.

I disagree completely. Perhaps you're not aware as you're from Halifax, but when we placed our orders in Ontario, the incentive was part of the total cost calculation provided by Tesla on the ordering page. Removing mention of it on the web page when the rebate program was cancelled is to be expected. That doesn't change the fact that they advertised it when we placed our orders.

Second, your Tesla account uses your email address so they have it. I'm not sure how you log in to your account or received confirmation of your reservation and order. It's a $64k+ purchase. An email notification is the bare minimum I would expect for a ~20% increase in expected price, particularly if they've received non-published communication directly from the government.

Also on the fence now. Ordered AWD when it became available. I've seen the car (RWD) and based on other annoyance factors (like the lack of a key fob, lack of instrument cluster, lack of quality on the build, etc) - I'd put the value of the car around $50k. With the rebate that brings the MSRP of $70k inline. Without the rebate, there is no doubt this car is completely overpriced.

I love how people are shouting "take my money!!" about this car without considering it's short comings. I was willing to overlook these because the rebate brought the value back in line. Another huge potential problem is the low number of service centers in Ontario. I wonder what will happen if my car breaks down - it has to be towed, a rental arranged, repaired etc... this could take weeks or months if going by experiences in other threads. Again, was willing to overlook this - now I am more and more unsure.

No official comments by Tesla, very disappointing. No phone call, no e-mail, no update on my ordering page, absolutely zero communication. No mention of any goodwill gesture (hey, how about free EAP to make up for some of this?). I also have to shell out $3000 to upgrade my electrical service to support this vehicle.

With all due respect, I think it is you that hasn't put in the time researching the car before making a decision. I personally dug into and got a proper understanding of every potential concern I had prior to purchasing, and there was definitely a lot of sorting between fact and fiction with all the noise online. I even went as far as waiting in -27C winter weather in a parking lot at 3am on a weeknight to test drive You You Xue's early build that passed through, because I had to know.

Having owned the car for many weeks now, I can say the lack of key fob is one of my favourite features. I also love the front visibility with the removal of the gauges in front of the steering wheel. The only nitpick I would have is the lack of powered trunk liftgate.

I did full comparisons against the C Class and 3 Series (gas savings are real, comparable cost of ownership), and even just the objective factors stack heavily in favour of the Model 3 without rebate. Subjective factors and personal preference can override everything else of course.

Yeh not true, your whole user account is based around your email...

And you’re not a real company of you rely on blogs to contact your customers lol

So after writing to the MPP's, the Ministry of Transportation, Consumers Ontario, I finally called the Ombudsman. I had an interesting conversation. I was first told I had to wait for a response from the Ministry before the Ombudsman could get involved, but after hanging up I received a call back 5 mins later where I was asked to send in the emails already sent to the Ministry of Transportation I suggest all those who are on the fence and pushing to be heard, send the email to the MTO and then call the Ombudsman.

I have included below the info:
Ministry of Transportation:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Ombudsman Tel No: 1800-263-1830

This is the email I sent to the Ministry of Transportation which someone else drafted here earlier. Please indicate in the subject heading of your email this is a time sensitive issue and to response at their earliest convenience. I also requested a confirmation of receipt.

Recently Premier Ford announced the cancellation of cap-and-trade, along with the green initiatives tied to it. Although I believe in climate change I understand that there are many ways to tackle this problem and Ontario’s Cap and Trade solution may not be the best of them. As such, my email today is not in protest to the cancellation of Cap and Trade and its associated green initiatives. Rather, it is in protest to the MANNER in which it is being cancelled, specifically in regards to the EHVIP program.

On July 11th, Premier Ford’s team announced the immediate cancellation of the program. The only way to still qualify for the rebate would be if one satisfied one of the following two conditions:

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
Although this gives dealers a ‘wind-down’ period, it offers no such consideration to consumers. I believe this was done specifically to target Tesla buyers as they buy directly from the manufacturer, especially as Premier Ford has referred to Tesla owners as ‘downtown liberals’ and ‘millionaires’. This is simply not true. The only Tesla that is currently on the list of approved vehicles (i.e. the Model 3) is aimed at middle class Ontarians. After the rebate, gas savings, and savings on maintenance, the pricing of the Model 3 is in-line with non-luxury brands, such as Honda, Toyota, and GM. For most of us, the rebate is the difference between affordability and non-affordability. Many of us have ordered this car in good faith, placing a $4,200 non-refundable deposit. We now face a no-win scenario; either cancel our orders and lose $4,200, or commit to buying a car that we can no longer afford.

All I am asking is that Premier Ford extend to us, his constituents, the same consideration he is offering to businesses (i.e. the dealers); honour those orders that were placed prior to July 11th providing the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10th. As it stands, it seems as though Premier Ford is intentionally targeting Tesla, but is really only hurting his people. We voted-in Premier Ford in good faith, so please don’t break faith with us now – wind down this program in an equitable manner.

Did the ombudsman actually open a file on you?

Did the ombudsman actually open a file on you?
I think it’s a good play to contact the ombudsman but I don’t find the letter, as written particularly persuasive. Just like the globe and the CBC articles. Yeah they sort of get there but aren’t compelling reads.

There’s a sledgehammer in this and no one is using it. It’s not a dealers vs consumer issue. It’s a consumer vs consumer issue.
Someone ordering a bolt on June 7 has until sept 10 to get the car and the rebate while a Tesla purchaser gets tough *sugar*. Both cars were on the list as advsertised by the government. That is not fair. Your neighbour gets the rebate and you don’t while the both of you ordered the same day from the same list.

That’s the issue. First paragraph worthy. In any article or letter.

I don’t mean to be critical and I think the effort is a wise move. I’d like to see someone scream it for once though and I’ve got no skin in this.

With all due respect, I think it is you that hasn't put in the time researching the car before making a decision. I personally dug into and got a proper understanding of every potential concern I had prior to purchasing, and there was definitely a lot of sorting between fact and fiction with all the noise online. I even went as far as waiting in -27C winter weather in a parking lot at 3am on a weeknight to test drive You You Xue's early build that passed through, because I had to know.

Having owned the car for many weeks now, I can say the lack of key fob is one of my favourite features. I also love the front visibility with the removal of the gauges in front of the steering wheel. The only nitpick I would have is the lack of powered trunk liftgate.

I did full comparisons against the C Class and 3 Series (gas savings are real, comparable cost of ownership), and even just the objective factors stack heavily in favour of the Model 3 without rebate. Subjective factors and personal preference can override everything else of course.

On a semi related note a very positive review today from the WSJ on the performance model 3.

Urghhh, just came back from a trip and see my rebate is gone. The more frustrating thing is that I ORDERED in May in anticipation of this and I still got screwed over. I'm seeing all over the forum of people ordering in June or July and have gotten a delivery or VIN within weeks yet I'm still here without a VIN 2 months later.

Screw this, since I'm not getting a rebate, I'm gonna get a base Model 3 Performance instead.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Urghhh, just came back from a trip and see my rebate is gone. The more frustrating thing is that I ORDERED in May in anticipation of this and I still got screwed over. I'm seeing all over the forum of people ordering in June or July and have gotten a delivery or VIN within weeks yet I'm still here without a VIN 2 months later.

Screw this, since I'm not getting a rebate, I'm gonna get a base Model 3 Performance instead.
Wow. I ordered May 18 and received the car June 7.

Reactions: BrianZ

Hopefully it was a good trip! Yeah, extra brutal for you with the May order and no VIN yet. Some of us are still fighting (see last ~50 pages of this thread). Good luck if you’re changing to the P3D! Sounds like an amazing car.

What did you configure? I thought everyone who ordered in May got delivery.