Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Urghhh, just came back from a trip and see my rebate is gone. The more frustrating thing is that I ORDERED in May in anticipation of this and I still got screwed over. I'm seeing all over the forum of people ordering in June or July and have gotten a delivery or VIN within weeks yet I'm still here without a VIN 2 months later.

Screw this, since I'm not getting a rebate, I'm gonna get a base Model 3 Performance instead.

Sounds like an awesome car. I'd love one but then you are kinda knocking on the door of a 75D MX which would also be nice.

In the off chance you didn't see it, one other option is that you can cancel your order if you'd prefer to see if the feds do anything to pick up the slack a little.

In reference to the electric rebate please check out the site below. It allows you to send a video or email message directly to the Minister of Transportation. There are a lot of details and references here. We put a lot of work into this. I think reservation holders and people who already received the rebate should stress the importance of the rebate to their budgets etc.
Don’t dwell on the rebate going away, please focus on the unfairness to people who are waiting for their Model 3 vehicles. Please be respectful, on message and keep the videos to 30-45 seconds.
Electric Cars Ontario
John Dixon
President
Tesla Owners Ontario club
Ontario.teslaownersclub.

I'm confused why I've had no communication from Tesla. I ordered an AWD on June 28th, so why like many on this forum didn't I get an email about the option to get a refund? I wonder if there's a pattern: for example, my order says I will pay cash - is Tesla only promoting the refund offer to those who were leveraging Tesla's financing? Or is it because I ordered AWD? Or because I don't have a VIN yet? I suppose I could phone them, stay on hold for a while, and ask.

I'm curious. To all: did you get an email, and what's the state of your order?

Same here. I ordered 30th June

No email / no communication from Tesla

After A LOT of debate, we ended up deciding to go ahead and keep our order. If we decided to wait for the standard battery we would’ve lost our place in line and had to wait till it was even available to configure since they had to refund your entire $4200 deposit and the SB isn’t on the website to order now as an option. Not sure our car would make it. Model 3 should be here next week or the week after. I’m still nervous about the cost, but I’m assuming the car will be totally worth it. Will still get rebate for the charger now at least, small concilation I guess. We are still gonna submit all rebate forms (whenever they get posted, there are new ones coming they keep saying, feels like they’re trying to wait to post them till August so people will have less time to send them in) and see what happens anyway. Why not? Question: anyone who owns one, how much did your hydro bill go up if you plugged in every night and about 120km of driving in a day?

Reactions: Ludatik
Hopefully it was a good trip! Yeah, extra brutal for you with the May order and no VIN yet. Some of us are still fighting (see last ~50 pages of this thread). Good luck if you’re changing to the P3D! Sounds like an amazing car.

Yeah I'm hoping we'll still get a chance to get it. Fingers crossed!

What did you configure? I thought everyone who ordered in May got delivery.

I got the LR PUP in Red Multicoat.

After A LOT of debate, we ended up deciding to go ahead and keep our order. If we decided to wait for the standard battery we would’ve lost our place in line and had to wait till it was even available to configure since they had to refund your entire $4200 deposit and the SB isn’t on the website to order now as an option. Not sure our car would make it. Model 3 should be here next week or the week after. I’m still nervous about the cost, but I’m assuming the car will be totally worth it. Will still get rebate for the charger now at least, small concilation I guess. We are still gonna submit all rebate forms (whenever they get posted, there are new ones coming they keep saying, feels like they’re trying to wait to post them till August so people will have less time to send them in) and see what happens anyway. Why not? Question: anyone who owns one, how much did your hydro bill go up if you plugged in every night and about 120km of driving in a day?

Not sure about the efficiency of the M3 (waiting for mine) but having owned EVs for the past 5 years I would say 120km of range per day will be around $3/day charging from home on average. It will be more in the winter and less in the summer depending on how much heat/AC/how fast you drive.

In reference to the electric rebate please check out the site below. It allows you to send a video or email message directly to the Minister of Transportation. There are a lot of details and references here. We put a lot of work into this. I think reservation holders and people who already received the rebate should stress the importance of the rebate to their budgets etc.
Don’t dwell on the rebate going away, please focus on the unfairness to people who are waiting for their Model 3 vehicles. Please be respectful, on message and keep the videos to 30-45 seconds.
Electric Cars Ontario
John Dixon
President
Tesla Owners Ontario club
Ontario.teslaownersclub.
Thanks for setting this up. The system to send an email doesn't work. It asks for a ZIP code but you cannot enter a Postal Code. Also I believe there are other people listed on this thread that should be contacted.

Would be interesting to add a poll if you can to get a sense of #'s..

I too got this reply

Thank you for your email addressed to the Honourable John Yakabuski, Minister of Transportation. Your email is important to us. It has been forwarded to the appropriate ministry office for review.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to the attention of the ministry.

Thanks for setting this up. The system to send an email doesn't work. It asks for a ZIP code but you cannot enter a Postal Code. Also I believe there are other people listed on this thread that should be contacted.

Would be interesting to add a poll if you can to get a sense of #'s..
We are working on the zip code fix.
Unfortunately this is somewhat of a template and only one person can be sent the message

We are working on the zip code fix.
Unfortunately this is somewhat of a template and only one person can be sent the message

It also seems to be browser specific. Firefox produced issues for me. IE appeared to work...apart from the zip code issue.

I later got an email from countable asking to verify my email which I did and got another email saying my message had been sent. Not sure if it was manually pushed out or what...

Last edited:
Not sure about the efficiency of the M3 (waiting for mine) but having owned EVs for the past 5 years I would say 120km of range per day will be around $3/day charging from home on average. It will be more in the winter and less in the summer depending on how much heat/AC/how fast you drive.

That is what I get from a website

Tesla Model 3: 23,7 kWh/100 miles – 14,73 kWh/100 km

Tesla Model S: 34,4 kWh/100 miles – 21,38 kWh/100 km

Tesla Model X: 36,9 kWh/100 miles – 22,93 kWh/100 km

at a rate of 6.5 cents/kwh off peak, it is around $0.95, not even a dollar per 100 km.

Amazing

• Disagree
Reactions: pcons
Apologies if this has been posted already. I haven’t seen it before:

Doug Ford Cancels Electric Car Rebate So He Can Lower Gas Prices

(Credit to Tesla Owners Ontario Club and John Dixon)

I've emailed the author the link to the Teslarati article that mentions as a potential correction:

"A bill to remove the 200,000-vehicle cap for electric car manufacturers and extend the $7,500 tax credit for new EVs until 2028 gained more supporters recently, with Rep. Darren Soto (D-FL) and Rep. James P. McGovern (D-MA) signing as cosponsors of H.R.6274, also known as the Electric CARS Act of 2018."

Hey guys/gals,
I called the minister of transportation, John Yakabuski and got his assistant today.
I explained the situation to her, and how it was unfair from a consumer perspective to allow rebates to other EV's but not Tesla's.

She seemed unaware of the situation (which concerned me), but she agreed that I had a point. I asked if the minister was considering changing his mind, out of fairness, and allowing the rebate for Tesla purchases until sept 11.

She said that she is away next week, and would not let this question linger. Tomorrow afternoon she said she would have an answer for me directly from the minister.

I will update the group as to what she says. So before anyone cancels for good, lets hope that consumer fairness prevails and they adjust their stance accordingly.

My biggest fear in continuing with current order is nothing happens from province/Tesla, I purchase for full price on Sep 1. As of Jan 1, 2019 federal govt introduces $8000 incentive for new purchases, now I miss out on both and have a large asset that is underwater in value almost immediately due to missed rebates.

This is where lack of communication from Tesla is frustrating as this is a major financial decision.

Reactions: adaptabl
Hey guys/gals,
I called the minister of transportation, John Yakabuski and got his assistant today.
I explained the situation to her, and how it was unfair from a consumer perspective to allow rebates to other EV's but not Tesla's.

She seemed unaware of the situation (which concerned me), but she agreed that I had a point. I asked if the minister was considering changing his mind, out of fairness, and allowing the rebate for Tesla purchases until sept 11.

She said that she is away next week, and would not let this question linger. Tomorrow afternoon she said she would have an answer for me directly from the minister.

I will update the group as to what she says. So before anyone cancels for good, lets hope that consumer fairness prevails and they adjust their stance accordingly.

Appreciate the effort but not likely changing anything, this is from 2 days ago in Toronto Star from that MPP

Meanwhile, Transportation Minister John Yakabuski said the government is sticking to its plan to end taxpayer subsidies for electric and hybrid cars despite complaints from motorists who have paid deposits on Tesla models that won’t be delivered until after the deadline.

The incentives of up to $14,000 will still be paid on eligible vehicles that have been delivered to buyers, registered and plated by July 11.

For motorists who agreed to buy vehicles on dealer lots or ordered vehicles before July 11, the subsidies will be paid only if the cars are delivered, registered and plated by Sept. 10.

“We extended it to Sept. 10 so that people would have an ample amount of time,” Yakabuski told the Star.

“Tesla does not have a dealer network. They deal directly with the consumer and our intention in extending it for the other models was to protect the dealer networks that provide jobs and work for people here in Ontario.”

That is what I get from a website

Tesla Model 3: 23,7 kWh/100 miles – 14,73 kWh/100 km

Tesla Model S: 34,4 kWh/100 miles – 21,38 kWh/100 km

Tesla Model X: 36,9 kWh/100 miles – 22,93 kWh/100 km

at a rate of 6.5 cents/kwh off peak, it is around $0.95, not even a dollar per 100 km.

Amazing

You can't just take numbers from the tesla website... Real world is different :)

You need to factor in wall efficiency to those numbers (about 15% more)...ie, to put 14.73kwh of useable charge into the car the wall plug puts out about 16.9kwh..

Plus, once you add in taxes, transport and other fees (at least where I am) off peak charging averages out to around 12 c/kwh.

Also, those numbers don't take into account driving in winter, which can drop range by 30 - 50%.

So take your m3 number's, which are basically for summer with no AC:

14.73 kwh/100km x 1.15 x 0.12 = $2.03 /100km

For 120km (OPs question) that's $2.44 in the summer. In the winter, add 30-50% depending on heat use and external temp so between $3.10 and $3.60.

Average over the year: about $3/120km....

Last edited:
My biggest fear in continuing with current order is nothing happens from province/Tesla, I purchase for full price on Sep 1. As of Jan 1, 2019 federal govt introduces $8000 incentive for new purchases, now I miss out on both and have a large asset that is underwater in value almost immediately due to missed rebates.

This is where lack of communication from Tesla is frustrating as this is a major financial decision.

How would tesla have any comment on whether the federal government would put a rebate program in place? I agree with you, its a risk that everyone taking delivery will be taking.

It's best to think of it this way: if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, the depreciation is only on paper... Averaged out over 8-10 years, the potential lost rebate of 8k you mention isn't that much.... I'm just trying to be glass half full because I've decided to keep my order and take delivery of the AWD, so in part this is me convincing myself :)