Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The extension was not to protect consumers.

Those who did place orders were fully aware the program could be cancelled at any time. If not, they should of read all the details of the program before ordering. At some point the consumer has to take responsibility for their actions. In the case Tesla is doing the right thing and allowing all orders to be cancelled. It most cases no VIN was assigned so the buyer always had the option to cancel as soon as the program cancelation was announced on July 11th. AWD models were never part of the program so no buyer should of expected a rebate on those models.

“The extension was not to protect consumers.” - tell us something that we don’t know. This is actually kind of the point.

“Those who did place orders were fully aware the program could be cancelled at any time. ” - ditto for dealers.

“In the case Tesla is doing the right thing and allowing all orders to be cancelled.“ -oh then why not throw this back on the other manufacturers as well and tell THEM to look after their dealer networks rather than giving them a break and bending us over?

Face it, your argument is making Swiss cheese look solid.

Ontario could have also been a future home to EV manufacturing. Too bad the PC's couldn't have embraced this inevitable change instead of trying to artificially suppress is. They will succeed in slowing down adoption which means, when EVs are the majority, Ontario will be lagging in terms of infrastructure.
Cars yes, but physical infrastructure won’t be. They revised the electrical code this year that mandates all future buildings and detached homes to have the charging infrastructure. Along the lines for 20% of all parking spots to have ev chargers in a buildings and infrastructure to future install in the remaining 80% parking spots. All new detached houses will also have infrastructure to install ev chargers (200a panel...etc) So we will have tons of chargers but no cars

Reactions: Burlburt
Cars yes, but physical infrastructure won’t be. They revised the electrical code this year that mandates all future buildings and detached homes to have the charging infrastructure. Along the lines for 20% of all parking spots to have ev chargers in a buildings and infrastructure to future install in the remaining 80% parking spots. All new detached houses will also have infrastructure to install ev chargers (200a panel...etc) So we will have tons of chargers but no cars
Maybe - but there is a rumour Ford is looking at putting Coal Generators in all new buildings. This will help pay for repaving of the parking lots of Buick Dealerships so their owners can be out at Conservative Party Fundraiser Golf Tournaments

Last edited:
Ombudsman's Office just called me. Asked me a few questions. i reiterated that as a consumer why am I being treated different than other consumers regardless of how my purchase agreement was created. Below is a response from Christine Hogarth's office. I read this to the Ombudsman's office and explained that her answer depicts treating all Ontario taxpayers with fairness. This is not how I am being treated by this decision not to include Tesla. Also i mentioned that if the Ontario government has an issue with Tesla's business model then this is between them. Do not use the consumer.

Also Ombudsman's office gave me an email for all EHVIP complaints regarding this situation. [email protected]

please send emails to this address as well.

Good morning Kevin,

Thanks very much for your patience while we received direction on this from the Ministry.

As the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program was funded through cap-and-trade proceeds, it has been cancelled with an orderly wind-down. All vehicles that were delivered, registered and plated by July 11 will have the incentive honoured, provided the paperwork is submitted within 60 days of registration and plating. This approach is designed to provide fairness for all Ontario taxpayers, while minimizing the impact on consumers who have received and plated their cars, as well as dealerships, which generally tend to be small businesses in our communities, with orders on the way.

I hope this helps explain the situation, and I apologize that I cannot be of more help at this time.

All the best,

Stephen Warner | Constituency Assistant
Office of Christine Hogarth, MPP
933 The Queensway, Etobicoke
Toronto, ON. M8Z 1P3
Telephone: 416-259-2249
Fax: 416-259-3704

I'm talking to Ontario Ombudsman, can you please send me your screen-shot where you asked Doug and his team about this incentive? If you can please provide the date please.

The extension was designed to protect Ontario dealers with stock in transit (It was not to protect consumers with existing orders). This is not the case with Tesla dealers as they did not order cars for customers. There is no economic risk to the Tesla dealers as there is for traditional dealers with cars in transit.

Maybe they should of just cancelled it for everyone as of July 11th period? I think they did a wise compromise.

Although I disagree with the cancellation of the program there will always be those that miss out on the program as it winds down. Tesla has offered full refunds so there is not economic loss to consumers with Tesla's on order.

There were those with SR non PUP model 3's on order from day one and had deposits for years. They too will miss out on the program. Someone is always just past the end.

I wouldn't count on the Liberals doing anything federally until 2020. Things are not looking good for the Liberal's re-election federally next fall. Although it is not true, public perception is that Tesla buyers are elite 1%er's. Pushing EV credits now is not a politically wise decision at this time if you have hopes of re-election. I would not want to be an Ontario MP running next fall an the headlines are that Ottawa fights Ontario in court to increase gas prices to give rebates to rich Ontario buyers. You know how the fake news agencies spin things to get reader clicks.
Well I am shocked to read you disagree with the cancellation of the program. Most of your 'disagree' clicks spin a different view of not being in favour of the current program or even EV incentives in general.
At least you provided some additional information of your opinion, so thanks for that.

Reactions: adaptabl
I just spoke to the Ombudsman's office after a couple days of phone tag. Nothing really new to report - similar conversation as to what others had. He asked me what efforts I had made to date towards a resolution. It sounds like the Ombudsman office has already started their inquiries as he was quite aware of the entire situation, the fairness issue, and the time sensitivity. He says he will contact me when he has answers. I'm not feeling hopeful.

Feel hopeful. They just called me and I went over the situation with them. They mentioned all the obvious routes: Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Finance, MPPs, etc that I've already done. Apparently complaints are piling up into the 3 digits.

Adaptabl... this forum is about the impact on consumers who have been UNFAIRLY impacted because of Doug Ford’s personal biases. You arguing here is obviously irrelevant to most of the consumers. So please, my suggestion is to go promote your buddy Ford elsewhere. Thank you!
Samina - I suggest you don't give Richard the time of day

Samina - I suggest you don't give Richard the time of day
I agree - judging by his responses, he’s not stupid. Given his extreme negativity and desire to twist everything, that only leaves two possibilities; either he’s psychologically disturbed or he’s a troll. Personally, I think it’s the latter.

Well done Adaptabl - you did some good trolling. Hat’s off to you.

Adaptabl... this forum is about the impact on consumers who have been UNFAIRLY impacted because of Doug Ford’s personal biases. You arguing here is obviously irrelevant to most of the consumers. So please, my suggestion is to go promote your buddy Ford elsewhere. Thank you!

That's one way to spin it. The title is "Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018" I see nothing about the impact to consumers in the title. Some are upset about how the changes affect them financially but others are concerned how it effects the environment and still others about the future of EV's in Ontario and there are others for different reasons. Not everyone is concerned about some people not getting government money from a cancelled program. I don't think this is personal in any way from Ford.

P.S. I did not vote for the PC party in the last election. I actually voted NDP and my candidate won.

FYI I mentioned a few days ago that after I made changes from my RWD to AWD order my date had changed even though I was told it wouldn't (June 23rd to July 23rd). I called Tesla today and spoke to a helpful rep. He stated that although my new order agreement was dated July 23rd, I should still qualify for the free LTE as on their records they have my original date listed. I was a bit skeptical so kindly asked him to e-mail me confirmation of the above and he did within 5 minutes.

Reactions: adaptabl
I agree - judging by his responses, he’s not stupid. Given his extreme negativity and desire to twist everything, that only leaves two possibilities; either he’s psychologically disturbed or he’s a troll. Personally, I think it’s the latter.

Well done Adaptabl - you did some good trolling. Hat’s off to you.

All my friends in my head agree that I am brilliant.

That's one way to spin it. The title is "Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018" I see nothing about the impact to consumers in the title. Some are upset about how the changes affect them financially but others are concerned how it effects the environment and still others about the future of EV's in Ontario and there are others for different reasons. Not everyone is concerned about some people not getting government money from a cancelled program. I don't think this is personal in any way from Ford.

P.S. I did not vote for the PC party in the last election. I actually voted NDP and my candidate won.

The title was chosen, I believe, by the moderator when merging threads so arguing about the title is a little silly.

What is incredulous is for someone to be so engaged in a thread when they have no skin in the game. That's just sad.

Forums: Forums are made for discussing topics with like-minded people, but every once in a while, a troll will come in and start spewing negative words all over the place. If forum moderators don't ban them, other members will often respond and before you know it, the thread gets thrown completely off topic and becomes nothing but one big pointless argument.

I called Tesla today and spoke to a helpful rep. He stated that although my new order agreement was dated July 23rd, I should still qualify for the free LTE as on their records they have my original date listed. I was a bit skeptical so kindly asked him to e-mail me confirmation of the above and he did within 5 minutes.

Sadly, having it in writing still won't guarantee anything. They can just say that rep was misinformed and they will do better to train their reps in the future. That's what happened to me in another situation.

Also, a member here posted a screenshot where Doug Ford himself wrote that all orders placed before June 29th will be honored. We all know how that turned out...

Lastly, the troll was identified way back, bottom of page 134. =)