Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,
I see this has been posted already but I will put it here officially.
A source at Tesla has confirmed to me that Tesla has now filed a lawsuit against the Ontario government seeking to overturn the decision to discriminate against Tesla and its customers during the wind-down of the rebate program.
I will keep you informed as I learn anything new.

Thanks,
John Dixon
Tesla Owners Club Ontario
President & Founder
[email protected]
ontario.teslaownersclub.ca
I am wondering if Tesla has a handle on how many customers have ordered before July 11th and would require delivery before September 10th to make this lawsuit the most useful for both the Tesla clients and the ehvip rebate? Are they even trying to make these deliveries?

I am wondering if Tesla has a handle on how many customers have ordered before July 11th and would require delivery before September 10th to make this lawsuit the most useful for both the Tesla clients and the ehvip rebate? Are they even trying to make these deliveries?

Of course they are. Every order cancellation of goods that have been shipped is additional costs and lost profits to them. That's going to be the actual damages of their lawsuit.

Reactions: Blu Angel
I cancelled my order last month because I didn't think there was a chance of this getting changed. I'm still driving my ICE vehicle and would like to know where's his 10 cent gasoline promise. Price today is $1.35, price on June 29 ~$1.34 (sworn in), price on June 7 ~$1.31 (election day). So gas is still higher than before the election!! Such BS

Most of the 10 cents was a future increase that won't happen now. No cut just no increase. So they say but what about the 3.7 cents already added?

If they don't win the lawsuit, it wouldn't make sense for them to deliver. I can only imagine (from reading this forum) that most people have canceled their order because it no longer makes financial sense for them to buy the car.

I can't afford the car but I'm still holding onto my order. :( Going to stick this thing out to the end.

If they don't win the lawsuit, it wouldn't make sense for them to deliver. I can only imagine (from reading this forum) that most people have canceled their order because it no longer makes financial sense for them to buy the car.

I can't afford the car but I'm still holding onto my order. :( Going to stick this thing out to the end.

I don't think you have a concept of how long lawsuits take. Realistically, this is going to be contested for a while. Tesla will or won't deliver for other reasons.

Reactions: adaptabl

They are making deliveries still. I've visited Oakville twice in the last month and a half and both times was told they were delivering 3-5/day.

Well that pretty much guaranties any future programs will exclude Tesla. Don't bite the hand that may one day feed you.
Any bets on how long it takes for this frivolous lawsuit to be thrown out of court?

EH????? What future programs? This is Doug Ford we're talking about LOL. Any future program will either be the Liberals/NDP, or will be past the next Ontario election. Doug Ford feeding Tesla lol.... not in my lifetime lol...

Last edited:
Excluding a single manufacturer was simply wrong. It's very clear. The lawsuit will bring this to light. Exclusion is a horrible and divisive approach to governance. It also sets a horrible precedence. Let them get away with discriminatory practices and it will only get worse in the long 4 years ahead.

"First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."

I don't think that matters. Court can modify the parameters of the winddown should they choose to.

That lawsuit is incredibly well written. Everything is backed up, they got all the key points.

The purpose was to protect the independent dealers with stock on the lot or in the order chain. This is not the case with Tesla as The dealers had no stock and no dealer orders in process.

This goes to show you that TESLA is in a wait and see mode with the vehicles ready for delivery. They probably have all paper work for the import ready to go. If this doesn't work they will distribute these vehicles elsewhere but I believe they are on a lot in Freemont.

adaptabl

Are you kidding me. One thing is for sure you won't see a provincial rebate or credit for EV in Ontario unless it is Liberal, Green or NDP.

Secondly, this is not a frivolous law suit. I agree with TESLA that this type of relationship sets a precedence for TESLA consumers. How do we as a consumer have faith that the Ontario Gov't won't remove TESLA from any future sales or service here. You buy today and the company is told to leave Ontario. All the current owners have no place to service vehicles.

It's about time someone started to stick up for us consumers.