Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The purpose was to protect the independent dealers with stock on the lot or in the order chain. This is not the case with Tesla as The dealers had no stock and no dealer orders in process.

Why is it relevant or fair to protect franchised dealers as opposed to corporate dealers? They're both operating under the law of Ontario, and they both employ Ontarians. And you're incorrect, Tesla DID have inventory both in Ontario, and in transit to Ontario.

The purpose was to protect the independent dealers with stock on the lot or in the order chain. This is not the case with Tesla as The dealers had no stock and no dealer orders in process.

Explain to me how 'independent dealers' are different than Tesla Canada which is also a motor vehicle dealer? Both are employers of Ontario citizens. Why treat one entity differently than another?

Stop defending the absurdity. Do you even hear yourself.

"Orders in progress"

I have an order. Do you? Mine was placed June 20th

So if i was a consumer and walked into:

Mercedes
With a 51,151 square foot facility located at 6120 Mavis Road in Mississauga. Mercedes-Benz Mississauga is part of the Mercedes-Benz Toronto Retail Group, a group of seven dealerships owned by Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc.

And purchased a SMART car. Would I be eligible for the rebate?

You are trying to tell me Mercedes would put up with that BS.

No they wouldn't.

Well that pretty much guaranties any future programs will exclude Tesla. Don't bite the hand that may one day feed you.
Any bets on how long it takes for this frivolous lawsuit to be thrown out of court?

@adaptabl
I just have one question for you - why are you being so negative on everything? Although I've surrendered and cancelled my order, I still hope that whoever kept the order will eventually get the rebate...

Future programs? DF's PC will never feeds Tesla... This is the sole reason Tesla was excluded in the first place...

So if i was a consumer and walked into:

Mercedes
With a 51,151 square foot facility located at 6120 Mavis Road in Mississauga. Mercedes-Benz Mississauga is part of the Mercedes-Benz Toronto Retail Group, a group of seven dealerships owned by Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc.

And purchased a SMART car. Would I be eligible for the rebate?

You are trying to tell me Mercedes would put up with that BS.

No they wouldn't.

I was thinking of the same thing. MB Toronto group was owned by MB Canada. So technically anyone with a MB plated after July 11 should be excluded as well.

Reactions: sitter_k
Excluding a single manufacturer was simply wrong. It's very clear. The lawsuit will bring this to light. Exclusion is a horrible and divisive approach to governance. It also sets a horrible precedence. Let them get away with discriminatory practices and it will only get worse in the long 4 years ahead.

"First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."

I agree that how they handled it was wrong but seriously F*** off with this....you are comparing yourself to the Jews who were murdered on mass by the Nazis..give me a break you couldn’t get a discount on a premium luxury car

Again it’s stupid comments like that is the reason Doug Ford got elected in the first place

I would think whatever damages Tesla receives from the lawsuit they would pass onto M3 Ontario buyers in future. But in general you're correct, nothing is certain...

I wonder if they would only share this with people who went through with purchase or give something to the people who were most “damaged” (in the legal sense) and cancelled because they could no longer afford to keep the order

• Funny
Reactions: felixculpas

That's a really excellent point, except, as others have pointed out, other car companies with dealerships that are not franchises were included in the wind-down (Mercedes being the most notable one, but there are others). Bottom line is that the PCs have really bungled this, and they are absolutely vulnerable to litigation based on what's happened in the past two months.

it will be a while before a decision will be made on the lawsuit.

If Tesla is successful, crossing fingers, what kind of remedy do you think we can see?

The logical and most beneficial outcome is those who qualify for the rebate will be able to claim the rebate provided that the car is delivered within a certain days after a decision is made, regardless of whether they cancel the order or not. This, to me, will be a fair outcome as if Tesla was allowed to get the rebate.

A upper court can over-rule any decision, so it will be a long process.

May be that is why Tesla is giving us a 30 to 60 business days to get a refund... Wishful thinking ...