Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m frustrated from this...no communication, should I have cancelled? I would’ve loved to have this car with rebate....poor government decision but also very poor customer service from Tesla

If Tesla told you to go forward when you couldn’t afford it without the rebate, and then loses the lawsuit, then that would be grounds for you to sue them. So there’s no way they’d do that.

Reactions: champion1955
I don’t think those who comment on web sites are typical of the general population. The commenters seem to skew towards those who think Justin Trudeau is the anti-Christ.

Then you could say people on here are not typical either because you would think Doug Ford is the anti-Christ

Either way walk down the street in Hamilton and ask people what they think....not a whole lot of sympathy

If only there was similar outrage over this -- which make our EV rebates piddly in comparison...

Canada gives $3.3bn subsidies to fossil fuel producers despite climate pledge

Since that article was written, we've decided to even build the pipelines for big oil, whose pockets are lined with cash, yet a middle class family trying to buy a Tesla can't get a break federally or provincially in Ontario. While the forest in BC burn, we can't get away from the smoke, and I fear for my children's future if this is a sign of things to come. I've spent a lot of summers in BC but none like the last two. It's scary.

The commenters seem to skew towards those who think Justin Trudeau is the anti-Christ.

I would think they'd like him since he's firmly in the back pocket of big oil. Sure, he talks a good game on climate, but it's all talk, while he stabs us in the back. Even Trump's administration did not revoke the $7.5k federal rebate they have down there (that's $10k Canadian plus State rebates). Trudeau won't even bring one in despite leading us to believe he would just for our votes, while he lines his pockets with big oil money for his next election campaign. Shame on him! I almost prefer Ford since at least you know what you're getting. (Okay, I'm getting a bit carried away to make a point since I get so angry at the sell-out Trudeau ended up being, especially watching our forests burn while he clears them away to make room for pipelines and takes our tax dollar to pay for them.)

Not many people understand unless they are affected.

Take cancer for an example. Most of us, if not all, all have been touched by someone who suffered, but our passion will lie in the cause that has changed our lives by hurting those we love most (be it lung, breast, colon, childhood etc.)

This rebate is not a priority in my life but I made decisions in my life based on it. So yes I am hoping we get it. Pluse we have gone too far now to turn back. My kids are no where near being spoiled... Except with love ;) ... They were part of the planning process for this car and are very excited to get it. And we are in no way going to let them down at this point. They (and us) have been through a lot since 2012 and life is finally almost normal. We want to do this for them as well as us. So it means we have larger mortgage payments. We will survive. Always do. Plus my husband drives long distances to work so in time it will pay for itself. It is what it is.

I live with rose colored glasses and that has gotten us through the dark times. Will keep them on and hope to get some sort of reward at the end of it .. Kids smiling and laughter will put it all into perspective

I’m frustrated from this...no communication, should I have cancelled? I would’ve loved to have this car with rebate....poor government decision but also very poor customer service from Tesla

They were caught in an unwinnable situation. I imagine if Tesla wins the lawsuit they'd grant you your order back. They can't say that now tho, as too much liability for them. Once the win, then they can say something.

Consider the rebate gone, It doesn't look like they are fighting for the rebate as they are going after damages. Also, someone said in this forum that it takes 4 weeks from when you are assigned your VIN to get delivery. If you ordered before July 11 and still don't have a VIN, the chances of you getting your car plated and qualify for any potential rebate is slim right now. I am happy Tesla is going after the Ontario government and that they won't be pushed around or targeted. Good on them, I have called Tesla twice and have had my order cancelled and the customer service I received from Tesla has been nothing but outstanding considering their circumstances.

Consider the rebate gone, It doesn't look like they are fighting for the rebate as they are going after damages. Also, someone said in this forum that it takes 4 weeks from when you are assigned your VIN to get delivery. If you ordered before July 11 and still don't have a VIN, the chances of you getting your car plated and qualify for any potential rebate is slim right now. I am happy Tesla is going after the Ontario government and that they won't be pushed around or targeted. Good on them, I have called Tesla twice and have had my order cancelled and the customer service I received from Tesla has been nothing but outstanding considering their circumstances.

To be clear, you're just speculating. From what I've read, VINs to delivery can be day of, a week off, or later. I spoke today with a delivery rep at the Lawrence store and was told that Tesla is planning a large delivery of RWD 3's to Canada before the end of August. In the meantime, Tesla locations in Ontario are taking around 5 deliveries a day (I believe there are five locations in Ontario? So, around 25 a day to the province, x6 = 150/week?). Not a huge number, but at this point I believe they will get the cars to us.

As to the lawsuit - read the document. They directly appeal that the exclusion be reversed. This is entirely to get us the 14K rebate. But we certainly can't count on a fast resolution.

I just called to cancel my Tesla yesterday
What do I do here? Hold off?
I just sent my email back to Tesla and minutes later I see this..

Ouch! Sorry to hear that @llbean. Despite any declarations on this forum, I think we're all still guessing what the outcome might be.

I don't think anything that's happened will provide rebates to future buyers - as long as Ford's in power - in case you're thinking of cancelling your cancellation and buying a Tesla. The best the lawsuit might do, IMHO, is reimburse those who ordered prior to July 11th and still bought a Model 3, since they're out of pocket. For those who cancelled (and got a refund from Tesla), in theory, if it won in a lawsuit, and if Tesla recouped the rebate for the car you cancelled, and if you re-ordered your Model 3, and if Tesla chose to discount you the rebate amount on your re-purchase, you'd get the $14,000. But I think all those are big IFs. Unfortunately, in your situation, I don't think you'd be wise to expect anything.

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl
"It asks the Ontario Superior Court to quash the "arbitrary and entirely unreasonable" decision, which it says has already tarnished its reputation and caused financial harm."

This lawsuit will cause more harm to Tesla's reputation than the PC could of ever done. The optics are rich people who can afford Tesla's crying for a handout , how greedy.

I disagree. I agree most Ontarians think those who buy EVs are rich people. But I don't think most Ontarians care which EV they're buying (they hate Prius owners just as much, I'd reckon!). I don't think they realize one manufacturer was singled out. I think even working-class Ontarians wouldn't support the government picking on one vendor. The lawsuit puts the focus on the government for its biased policies, not on how special Tesla buyers are (or rich). Could help tilt the public sentiment if positioned right: "PCs getting in the way of business!!". Imagine.

We can even suppose conservatives / capitalists like Tesla, the company, and Musk, the entrepreneur, more than Tesla buyers. Musk is seen as a firebrand capitalist at least as much as he's perceived as an environmentalist. Could help the cause.

OK, maybe I'm being optimistic... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
To be clear, you're just speculating. From what I've read, VINs to delivery can be day of, a week off, or later. I spoke today with a delivery rep at the Lawrence store and was told that Tesla is planning a large delivery of RWD 3's to Canada before the end of August. In the meantime, Tesla locations in Ontario are taking around 5 deliveries a day (I believe there are five locations in Ontario? So, around 25 a day to the province, x6 = 150/week?). Not a huge number, but at this point I believe they will get the cars to us.

As to the lawsuit - read the document. They directly appeal that the exclusion be reversed. This is entirely to get us the 14K rebate. But we certainly can't count on a fast resolution.

I honestly hope that everyone that ordered a RWD Model 3 before July 11 will receive their car before September 11th and get the incentive they deserve.

That's not a good line to take. All that'll do is encourage Ford to say 'oops', then exclude certain Mercedes dealerships. Best to take the line they took, which is they're being discriminated upon.

It's direct evidence that they've been discriminated upon. Like, the most direct. Honestly, it's the smoking gun. If Ford hears this and then excludes MB, all that will do is cause MB to join the lawsuit or file their own. But he won't do that.

• Love
Reactions: sitter_k
Does anyone have a decent contact at Tesla? Ordered a LR RWD on June 9th. With a 4-8 week delivery window. Saturday it will be 11 weeks with not a word from Tesla. Does anyone know when the cars being delivered now, ordered? Repeated emails go unanswered. Frustrating customer service.

Why don't you try contacting your closest Tesla dealership (or non-dealership according to Ford). They should be able to track down who your sales adviser is. Alternatively, you can just call Tesla's customer service directly, though you may be on hold for some time.

• Disagree
Reactions: Abrew2014
It's direct evidence that they've been discriminated upon. Like, the most direct. Honestly, it's the smoking gun. If Ford hears this and then excludes MB, all that will do is cause MB to join the lawsuit or file their own. But he won't do that.

I think the most direct evidence is how they changed from dealership to franchised dealership, then how the minister called out Tesla as excluded in the house. But you're right as well, I see your point.

Reactions: sitter_k