Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my vin last week and was told delivery was on Sept 9th/10th. They were still going to expedite it just in case. I’ve also heard from two different sources (dealers) that there are large shipments comings in end of August. So don’t give up yet!

Thats pr
The PC's were elected by the people of Ontario to make the rules and change them as they want. They could of just cancelled the program outright. They decided to help the dealers who were caught in the middle. Looks like they are well within law.

You sir, are a moron. Look at the number of dislikes for each and every single of your comments.

Lets do the math here. The PCs were elected by 40% of people in Ontario and somehow got a majority to piss off six out of ten people. The system is broken.

People whose party of choice wins a parliamentary majority are usually happy with the system. They're unhappy if their party doesn't win. Witness the Federal Liberals backing away from their proportional representation / electoral reform campaign promises as soon as they were the beneficiaries of a majority government with 39.5% of the vote.

The point of our current FPTP parliamentary system is that it's very hard to win a majority of seats, and the winner therefore has a strong mandate to govern. I don't think that's altered by what looks to be a relatively unfair distribution of seats vs. votes.

If you're honest, would you be unhappy if the liberals had won a majority with 40% of the vote and kept the incentives in place?

People whose party of choice wins a parliamentary majority are usually happy with the system. They're unhappy if their party doesn't win. Witness the Federal Liberals backing away from their proportional representation / electoral reform campaign promises as soon as they were the beneficiaries of a majority government with 39.5% of the vote.

The point of our current FPTP parliamentary system is that it's very hard to win a majority of seats, and the winner therefore has a strong mandate to govern. I don't think that's altered by what looks to be a relatively unfair distribution of seats vs. votes.

If you're honest, would you be unhappy if the liberals had won a majority with 40% of the vote and kept the incentives in place?

I would slight happier since Cap and Trade (taxes) are good for society as a whole. But I didn't vote for the Liberals either, so therefore I am unhappy either way if that's the logic we're going with.

From a progressive and environmental standpoint though.. I would be happier with the Liberals vs PCs since some past Liberal policies align with my values (most have been scrapped ASAP by the PCs). Unfortunately the Liberal fiscal policies were not the best (i.e. Hydro, Transit planning, Solar and Wind above market rates). I'm not surprised at why people decided to give the reigns to a party with no fiscal plan vs one with a bad track record. And by people, I mean the 40% minority who ushered in their preferred party of choice with a broken gerrymandered system :). I can sit here all day and repeat myself that the system is broken but that'd be like our premier spewing buck a beer while he and his friends do back room deals that he promised not to dismantle during the campaign.

Action speak louder than words. I'm voting with my CAD to support a capitalistic company who's mission is to transform transportation and create a sustainable future. Our Ontario Semi-Public funded Corporation is going the other way to create inequity and educating our young about their bodies back to pre 2000 policies without any thinking into the ramifications it will have on society.

A meme on instagram said it best - "Legalize pot and make alcohol a buck a beer while teaching 20 year old sex ed at school... what could possible go wrong?".

Last edited:
How to block someone on this forum:

Step 1: At the top of the webpage, click on the icon that represents your user profile. (Because I don't use an image at this point for my icon, mine looks like a white silhouette on a grey background)

Step 2: Select "Preferences." This will take you to a new page that has a User Profile Index on the left side of the screen.

Step 3: Three down from "Preferences," on the Index you will see the option to select People You Ignore. There, you can type in a name, such as Adaptabl - or just copy and paste it from my post here.

Step 4: Save your changes. You won't even see that he's posted something, nor will you see his comments if he is quoted by someone else. I'm disappointed to learn that it doesn't stop him from seeing your posts because that would be a hell of a setting, if we all ignored him and it appeared to him that people had just stopped posting. Oh well.
Love.... Thanks for sharing.

Tesla taking no responsibility for customers who ordered before July 11th while their website advertised the 14k?

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread before but has anyone got legal help this misleading advertisement on their website?

I believe this has been addressed already many times. In a nutshell... Tesla removed the mention fairly quickly after the cancellation. I know when I check a day or two after the announcement, it was gone for Ontario.

Also, its was clearly stated prior to the cut off that Tesla themselves weren't offering a rebate. It was a government incentive used to illustrate the cost savings at the design stage.

After you order, the final price does not include the incentive. It's external to the company. That was my experience after ordering.

I got my vin last week and was told delivery was on Sept 9th/10th. They were still going to expedite it just in case. I’ve also heard from two different sources (dealers) that there are large shipments comings in end of August. So don’t give up yet!

When did you put your order in ? I ordered mine on June 7 before Ford was officially elected and I still haven’t received my VIN number. At first my delivery estimate was 4-8weeks. Now it says Aug-Oct.

Tesla taking no responsibility for customers who ordered before July 11th while their website advertised the 14k?

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread before but has anyone got legal help this misleading advertisement on their website?

As champion said, this was brought up many, many times by people trying to claim Tesla 'owes' the 14k to them because it was shown on their website....but in the fine print it clearly states to check with your local government to determine eligibility on the rebates, so that's their out.

They removed the mention of the 14k the day after the confirmation that they were excluded, so were very pro active.

This is no different from how it works even in the US, where the rebate is a tax rebate. If you dont pay enough taxes (ie, earn enough) in the US, you dont get the full 7500. This is a case where the buyer has to do their research, I mean would you make a 70k purchase without reading the fine print? I certainly wouldn't....

Congrats Samina
What specs hav you ordered.

I ordered LR AWD Red 19" Wheels EAP FSD for crazy 84,000.00
Now sent them email to reduce it to 80,000.00 by going for standard black & 18" Aero.
Trying hard not to cancel but its getting difficult

Lets do the math here. The PCs were elected by 40% of people in Ontario and somehow got a majority to piss off six out of ten people. The system is broken.

PC's were ELECTED, or Liberals / NDP were REJECTED by people?
They got elected as they seemed to better than the worst who had been ruling.
As someone said above, system is broken n needs to be fixed.
My two cents

I would slight happier since Cap and Trade (taxes) are good for society as a whole. But I didn't vote for the Liberals either, so therefore I am unhappy either way if that's the logic we're going with.

From a progressive and environmental standpoint though.. I would be happier with the Liberals vs PCs since some past Liberal policies align with my values (most have been scrapped ASAP by the PCs). Unfortunately the Liberal fiscal policies were not the best (i.e. Hydro, Transit planning, Solar and Wind above market rates). I'm not surprised at why people decided to give the reigns to a party with no fiscal plan vs one with a bad track record. And by people, I mean the 40% minority who ushered in their preferred party of choice with a broken gerrymandered system :). I can sit here all day and repeat myself that the system is broken but that'd be like our premier spewing buck a beer while he and his friends do back room deals that he promised not to dismantle during the campaign.

Action speak louder than words. I'm voting with my CAD to support a capitalistic company who's mission is to transform transportation and create a sustainable future. Our Ontario Semi-Public funded Corporation is going the other way to create inequity and educating our young about their bodies back to pre 2000 policies without any thinking into the ramifications it will have on society.

A meme on instagram said it best - "Legalize pot and make alcohol a buck a beer while teaching 20 year old sex ed at school... what could possible go wrong?".

Can't agree more

As champion said, this was brought up many, many times by people trying to claim Tesla 'owes' the 14k to them because it was shown on their website....but in the fine print it clearly states to check with your local government to determine eligibility on the rebates, so that's their out.

They removed the mention of the 14k the day after the confirmation that they were excluded, so were very pro active.

This is no different from how it works even in the US, where the rebate is a tax rebate. If you dont pay enough taxes (ie, earn enough) in the US, you dont get the full 7500. This is a case where the buyer has to do their research, I mean would you make a 70k purchase without reading the fine print? I certainly wouldn't....

Not true on this, the discussion hasn’t been that Tesla owes us $14,000. It’s that Tesla should have communicated a change in the program and that their car was no longer eligible.

Pro active is sending an email to affected consumers telling them about program change

Proactive is telling people affected that they have sued the Ontario government

Proactive would be refunding to credit card within fair time frame instead of 2 months as they currently state (I’m 3 weeks and waiting) 60 seconds to receive, 60 days to refund

Tesla is not the hero here...they are a business that is poorly run that has designed some great cars that they have trouble building and delivering

Not true on this, the discussion hasn’t been that Tesla owes us $14,000. It’s that Tesla should have communicated a change in the program and that their car was no longer eligible.

Pro active is sending an email to affected consumers telling them about program change

Proactive would be refunding to credit card within fair time frame instead of 2 months as they currently state (I’m 3 weeks and waiting) 60 seconds to receive, 60 days to refund

Tesla is not the hero here...they are a business that is poorly run that has designed some great cars that they have trouble building and delivering

From my perspective, your expectations are unrealistic. The onus is on the consumer to follow the government sources that are responsible for the administration of the EHVIP program. This is not Tesla's responsibility.

Rarely do companies advertise their legal disputes.

I don't consider myself a Tesla fanboy and am more than willing to call them out on their many issues but as I've mentioned in the past, they are a very young company among industry giants that have been in operation for over 100 years. They are experimenting with new ideas and concepts as they go. This is what people love about them but there will be some hiccups along the way. I believe they are dedicated to continuous improvement. I've been very impressed with my interactions.

If this is how outraged you are about Tesla, what are you doing about robbing hood Doug Ford and the PC's?

Reactions: champion1955

As I wait on hold to find out where my money is I hear that Tesla has added a message on their waiting loop that says refunds may take up to 45 business days, this is new from 3 weeks ago....I also challenge you to find ONE big business that would make a customer wait 45 business days which is 9 weeks!!