Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I definitely made the wrong career choice going into science/engineering/technology :)

Ditto, Tech Support ftl :)

*EDIT There was a entire fleet of Black M3's at Chariman Mills this morning. And there were always a dozen or two M3's of various colours sitting in that lot since I took delivery back in June. Deliveries are happening at a constant rate.

Last edited:
Only Tesla knows if they can reinstate your order so best to call them. I suspect the answer is “no” but it doesn’t hurt to ask. Also, there is no guarantee regarding rebates as we don’t know what the government is going to do about the phase out period yet. They said they are going to figure out a response in the next few days.

I have a sneaking suspicion the PC government will release a response on September 9th. At 11:59pm. Just one minute before the expiration. just my thoughts! :)

I already know a lot people got their VIN with their order date way after mine ! What can we do ? I almost calling them everyday but no one can tell what's going on ???

Yep, same here! I even sent them my order documents showing 4-8 week delivery. They said there is nothing they can do and that I have to be patient. I still do not have the VIN. Ordered June 21st.

Ok so we know Tesla's customer service is not the greatest but I wondering if there is something else I should be doing. I ordered my car on June 19th, not a word yet on the VIN the customer service reps seem totally ignorant as to what is going on in Ontario this latest one I spoke with knew nothing about the lawsuit let alone that Tesla Canada had won. The delivery advisor attached to my car was a tech support guy, which the rep said didn't make sense so he gives me a name of a local guy at the Oakville location, when I call and that person no longer works there and the young lady gives me the same standard answer all over again. It's beyond frustrating.

From the Tesla standpoint, yes....but then I would think one could argue that was then 'unfair' to the other EV manufacturers. I have believed all along this exclusion of tesla was mostly about cost containment/savings, so I doubt they will extend the deadline for Tesla, especially if it also meant more EVs from other mfgs got the rebate too.

Plus, if they really go through the whole month of sept and allow all telsa deliveries to get rebates, that will be a huge amount. I believe they delivered about 1,800 teslas last June when they rented the international centre....that's 25 million. I highly doubt they will be willing to pony up that kind of cash.....even though there is still a huge surplus letover from cap and trade that wasn't spent yet....

Per the lawsuit, there are approximately 315 Tesla customers who are expecting delivery of their car in time to benefit from the rebate. That works out to about 5.5 million, out of 1.4 billion collected through Cap and Trade. The province can afford that.

They are going to have to rush their response - not because of any fidelity to Tesla, but because right now all traditional dealerships (who they were trying to help out with their policy cancellation) are going to be uncertain as to how to proceed between now and September 10. They are going to have to do something that doesn't hurt them.

Per the lawsuit, there are approximately 315 Tesla customers who are expecting delivery of their car in time to benefit from the rebate. That works out to about 5.5 million, out of 1.4 billion collected through Cap and Trade. The province can afford that.

Agreed. They can actually afford much more for sure. My point however was whether they will willingly extend the rebate beyond the 10th (assuming they dont find some way out of that even)...if they allow all deliveries in september to qualify and Tesla delivers another 1,800 model 3's like they did in June, then it would be around $25 million....while they could afford that, I dont think Buck-A-Beer is humble enough to accept that sort of defeat...especially at the hands of Tesla owners, whom he obviously has a lot of disdain for...

I also believe his anger towards Tesla owners is rooted in the fact that after he made such a big stink about them all being millionaire's he will never get away with owning one....and he is probably super jealous and wants to own one more than anything. Kind of like the closet homosexual who is afraid to admit what they really are, and goes around hating even more.

Dougie: its called projection....look it up....assuming you know how to use a computer :D

Dual motor has never been a part of the rebate, and I would have no expectations that it will be now.
I just emailed yakabuski.... it is reasonable to assume the m3 dual motor would have been added in due course as it met the criteria. The rwd took a coupke weeks to be added to the list after orders opened up... jun 27 awd was an option..pcs took office on the 29 and scrapped ehvip on kuly 11th... i think theres a chance here

I just emailed yakabuski.... it is reasonable to assume the m3 dual motor would have been added in due course as it met the criteria. The rwd took a coupke weeks to be added to the list after orders opened up... jun 27 awd was an option..pcs took office on the 29 and scrapped ehvip on kuly 11th... i think theres a chance here

No chance

Better chance by Sep 11 I am premier of Ontario

Sorry but i would say there is zero chance AWD gets added. It was NEVER on the Ontario list of approved cars even though Tesla had the $14k rebate listed on their website and configuration.

Reactions: adaptabl
I wish you well and appreciate your optimism. The PC's will do as little as possible to move this rebate along much less add to it.

Agreed. They can actually afford much more for sure. My point however was whether they will willingly extend the rebate beyond the 10th (assuming they dont find some way out of that even)...if they allow all deliveries in september to qualify and Tesla delivers another 1,800 model 3's like they did in June, then it would be around $25 million....while they could afford that, I dont think Buck-A-Beer is humble enough to accept that sort of defeat...especially at the hands of Tesla owners, whom he obviously has a lot of disdain for...

I also believe his anger towards Tesla owners is rooted in the fact that after he made such a big stink about them all being millionaire's he will never get away with owning one....and he is probably super jealous and wants to own one more than anything. Kind of like the closet homosexual who is afraid to admit what they really are, and goes around hating even more.

Dougie: its called projection....look it up....assuming you know how to use a computer :D

You think Dougie sneaks out for 4am drives with his friends Tesla? No-one but him and his friend know he's got the extra key card! And he wears a ski mask while driving so as to not be recognized.

So we should all keep watch for a super fat guy with a ski mask driving a Tesla at 4am in Etobicoke.

• Funny
Reactions: pcons and PAWilson
Good that the ruling is in Tesla’s favour, but the damage is done. Most orders placed before July 10 have been canceled (including mine), and those 300 or so that remain are the ones which are likely to buy no matter what.

Tesla suffered damages due to the unfair policy due to the cancelations. For them to be made whole, everyone who canceled after July 10th should be given a chance to reorder their car and receive the rebate and Tesla has 60 days to make such delivery.

That is the only right thing to do.