Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!

This journey in getting a Tesla (and the rebate) has been quite the emotional rollercoaster and many of us have spent many hours on this forum discussing and organizing. I think it might be a fun idea to organize a Model 3 get together in the new year for those of us who canceled and re-ordered - call it The Lazarus Club. Would there be any interest in this?

If so, ‘like’ this post and if there are enough then we can organize something.
For sure, as we are the last survivors of the EHVIP cancellation apocalypse!

Hopefully you mentioned that in your second email that you resend it because you didn't get a automated response from the first one.

Who knows, they may not like duplicate applications...

Hopefully it is like the home energy update rebate. I got paid twice. Was waiting for a letter and bill to refund the second rebate but it never appeared. Maybe the same will happen for this program.

Where do you recommend for wrapping and tinting?

If your in Markham you should have a look at Fabian Evelyn’s shop. He has done a ton of Tesla’s. I’ve been to his shop many times. Last visit there were 4 Model 3’s there being done. He did my full frontal PPF, Ceramic and tint on my 3. He uses high end products only and the result on my car was terrific. He is truly a perfectionist and it shows in his work.

https://evelynprotectivefilms.ca

If your in Markham you should have a look at Fabian Evelyn’s shop. He has done a ton of Tesla’s. I’ve been to his shop many times. Last visit there were 4 Model 3’s there being done. He did my full frontal PPF, Ceramic and tint on my 3. He uses high end products only and the result on my car was terrific. He is truly a perfectionist and it shows in his work.

https://evelynprotectivefilms.ca
Thanks! How much would that cost roughly?

I'll defer judgement till I pick up on Sunday :)

I was presuming I'd use Evelyn but he's booked out a while so I went back to where I had my windows tinted 6.5 years ago in hopes that was my best bang for the buck. We'll soon see!
I've asked Evelyn for a quote and I almost fell off my chair....!!!! It cost more than all of the accessories, charger, and winter tires combined... !!!

This glimmer of hope got me again.

I purchased an LR AWD in June before FordNation. I battled with converting that to LR RWD and at the advice of Tesla reps and my own risk adversity, I didn’t pull the trigger and cancelled my order. Then Tesla won the first lawsuit and it was too late to un-cancel my order and convert to RWD.

Now this. Another chance if I had converted to RWD. I spoke to Tesla Friday and they said they’ll look into it since I legit cancelled my order because of the government however, it’s probably best if I set the bar low and move on with my life. :(

I've asked Evelyn for a quote and I almost fell off my chair....!!!! It cost more than all of the accessories, charger, and winter tires combined... !!!

:) Any quality PPF/Ceramic work using premium materials with proper paint correction is expensive. Fabian is booked out a month or two for a reason. Like most projects it’s all about the prep work, materials and the skills of the technician. It really shows in his work.

This is the first time I’ve Done PPF and ceramic and I seriously regret not having done on our ‘14 Escape and my last track car. For me it will be budgeted for and the first ‘mod’ on any new car from now on. Costly but worth it to me.

10 years out, whether you had PPF, Ceramic Coating etc. won't have all that great an effect on ROI. For me, it's just worth it to hopefully be avoiding those moments where you anguish over cosmetic deterioration in the early years.

There was a 2017 Model S 100D on auto trader I was looking at prior to the incentive being available again. It was fully wrapped. I suspect his ROI (when comparing to similar non-wrapped 100D's) had already been cut in 1/2.

Maybe ask yourself what percent of the initial vehicle cost do you want to apply to aftermarket anything and budget accordingly and plan out how to best take advantage of that budget. With vehicles, there's an age old saying: You Play - You Pay. It's easy to go for the best at every twist and turn but all those one-off upgrades quickly add up. Make sure they are providing value and not just padding your ego.

We talk about things like ROI and ROE (Return on Equity) quite a bit. But at some point you have to unabashedly introduce a new metric - ROE: Return On Enjoyment.

Very likely this car will never break even money-wise with a new Honda Accord or Civic...and definitely not with a used one. But godddamnit I love this car and company - they are truly amazing. The ROE is incalculable (literally), and it is amazing!

• Love
Reactions: obryan20
For some people the ROI is there. I used to spend $500/month on gas, that has now been replaced with maybe $20-50/month electricity (I also have a free charger at work). I would rather pay the $500/month towards financing bills than buy a cheap ICE car and continue paying the gasoline bills and polluting the environment. Over the life of the car (I am assuming at least 6+ years) it is a worthwhile investment given the premium features of the car.

Reactions: champion1955
There are always people that want to spend every dollar on the toy, and are willing to spend the buck on it. Good for them.

ROI is not something we hope for when one buys car.

Modding itself can be an addictive, competitive endeavor. If it's your passion and you can make it work for your (healthy/balanced) lifestyle, all the power to you. Though I wouldn't expect Model 3 RWD owners buying with an incentive to be a demographic that's getting too carried away on that front :)

Willing and able aren't always co-joined. Being mindful at least of ROI as it factors in to your budget and your LT "plan" is never a bad thing. Not everyone guides themselves with that philosophy obviously and that's fine - each to their own - but there are many untold stories of people that sunk a huge amount of money into their vehicles and toys who later regretted doing so. You have to live within your means is all I'm saying and it's easy to get carried away and let your ego over-rule your sensibilities.

That said, it appears many people are doing some basics such as tinting, PPF, ceramic coating etc. It would be interesting to know what the numbers were. I would guess at least a few hundred M3's in the GTA have done one or more of the above. Of course being on forums such as this only increases the odds that you will. As a group we tend to have a strong confirmation bias and if many are doing it, others will follow suit and want to "keep up". Just make sure it works for you but by all means, enjoy your Tesla! It's an awesome vehicle and I embrace not only the techie features but the environmental aspects and the paradigm shift that is occurring.

The context in which I use ROI is not of course to see a return on what is obviously a deteriorating asset, just that there is a scale of economy when pursuing after-market upgrades.

Personally, I will save about $3k / year in gas with hydro factored in. A little more if gas prices rise.

Incentives work!

Reactions: champion1955