Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not publicized, but I got an email from MTO.

Thank you for your inquiry. If you ordered a vehicle on or before July 11, 2018, cancelled the order on or after July 11, 2018, and now wish to reorder the vehicle, the vehicle you originally ordered will qualify for an incentive as long as it is delivered, registered and plated in your name by January 3, 2019 and it was on the list provided to the Ministry of Transportation by Tesla Canada on September 6, 2018. If your vehicle is not on this list, it is not eligible.

You must submit your EHVIP application no more than 90 days from the date the vehicle was delivered, registered and plated in your name in Ontario, and meet all other program requirements.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,
Jackie
EHVIP Team

Hello I made a Model 3 reservation in 2016 and was about to order it in july but realized the incentive is gone so I cancelled my reservation. Am I still eligible for this or would have I had to put in a physical order?

Hello I made a Model 3 reservation in 2016 and was about to order it in july but realized the incentive is gone so I cancelled my reservation. Am I still eligible for this or would have I had to put in a physical order?
In this case, you won't be eligible for the rebate. It only applies to whoever placed the order (paid $3,200) on or before July 11th, then cancelled after July 11th due to the cancelation of the rebate. On top of all this, the purchaser has to be on "the list" in order to qualify. I've been told that there are people who fits the profile above but weren't on the list therefore not qualified.

Where do you recommend for wrapping and tinting?

I picked up my car on Sunday and am pleased with the results. Dealt with John Ng at Auto-Links.

This weekend is supposed to be nice so will go over it in detail when the sun is out and I have more time. Has anyone dealt with Pro Detailing Supplies in Mississauga?

Afterwards I did my first SC (to 80%). Saw a Midnight Silver satin wrapped X there that looked very nice.

Yeah, I agree the ROE - E for Enjoyment is 1,000% for this car!

LOL.

ROI = Return on Indulgence.

Lots of fun with this LR Model 3. Air is cleaner, music is great, it is so quiet inside, feel like I am in the future. The car is more like those one we played in the arcade when we were young.

Not to mention no more gas bill.

Modding itself can be an addictive, competitive endeavor. If it's your passion and you can make it work for your (healthy/balanced) lifestyle, all the power to you. Though I wouldn't expect Model 3 RWD owners buying with an incentive to be a demographic that's getting too carried away on that front :)

Willing and able aren't always co-joined. Being mindful at least of ROI as it factors in to your budget and your LT "plan" is never a bad thing. Not everyone guides themselves with that philosophy obviously and that's fine - each to their own - but there are many untold stories of people that sunk a huge amount of money into their vehicles and toys who later regretted doing so. You have to live within your means is all I'm saying and it's easy to get carried away and let your ego over-rule your sensibilities.

That said, it appears many people are doing some basics such as tinting, PPF, ceramic coating etc. It would be interesting to know what the numbers were. I would guess at least a few hundred M3's in the GTA have done one or more of the above. Of course being on forums such as this only increases the odds that you will. As a group we tend to have a strong confirmation bias and if many are doing it, others will follow suit and want to "keep up". Just make sure it works for you but by all means, enjoy your Tesla! It's an awesome vehicle and I embrace not only the techie features but the environmental aspects and the paradigm shift that is occurring.

The context in which I use ROI is not of course to see a return on what is obviously a deteriorating asset, just that there is a scale of economy when pursuing after-market upgrades.

Personally, I will save about $3k / year in gas with hydro factored in. A little more if gas prices rise.

Incentives work!

I will save about $3k / year

I'm actually close to $4K / year. My Mercedes uses premium gas and I do a of driving around for pleasure.

I will save about $3k / year

I'm actually close to $4K / year. My Mercedes uses premium gas and I do a of driving around for pleasure.

To be fair, when I say you won’t end up saving money buying a Tesla, I was comparing it against buying a second-hand, non-luxury vehicle. Even then, if you drive an INSANE amount then you might still end up saving money. However, my whole point in saying this is that I think none of us have purchased this car as the ‘economical choice’; we’ve purchased it either because it’s a super fun car, because of the environmental factor, or both. Of course, within the luxury car segment, the model 3 is probably the most affordable when considering running costs.

To be fair, when I say you won’t end up saving money buying a Tesla, I was comparing it against buying a second-hand, non-luxury vehicle. Even then, if you drive an INSANE amount then you might still end up saving money. However, my whole point in saying this is that I think none of us have purchased this car as the ‘economical choice’; we’ve purchased it either because it’s a super fun car, because of the environmental factor, or both. Of course, within the luxury car segment, the model 3 is probably the most affordable when considering running costs.
Don't think I would have bought it if charging costs were same as gas price.

Even if charging costs were much higher, with the incentive, I'd still have purchased. Too many upsides. Besides, if they were that high, anyone that could, would likely invest in solar.

Though you might see a road tax at some point.

Not under the PC's and big oil's watch. They want to sell more gas guzzlers. Road Tax = more mass transit and TTC hybrid busses.

But BEV's are not paying for gas so to even things out with those paying tax on gas which is going towards our roads, they would single us out. I could see it happening once the BEV numbers hit a certain point.

Globe and Mail:

Ontario road users driving cars, minivans, SUVs and light pickup trucks are paying 70 to 90 per cent of the costs of the road through fuel taxes, vehicle registration fees and tolls, to the tune of $7.5 billion a year.

Reactions: adaptabl
I doubt it. They can't single out BEVs and ignore the rest of the dinosaur juice fleet.

Oh yes they can. Just make plate renewals for BEV's the base amount plus the road taxes an average car would pay in fuel taxes. Right now it's about 40 cents per L. Average car at 10L per 100KM driving 20K per year equals about $800.00 /year. Very easy to do and fair to everyone.

In Michigan:
Additional Registration Fees (if applicable):
Beginning in 2017, owners of electric vehicles will pay a $30 to $200 fee (depending on your vehicle) with your renewal.

They pay much lower road taxes on fuel than we do in Ontario. PHEV's pay less and full EV's pay more.

Last edited: