Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our car on March 28, 2017... still no rebate has come in. Wow, they must be swamped! A few years ago when we got our Leaf we got the rebate included in the price of the car. That seems like a much better process.
You're right - it is a way better process. Hopefully Tesla adopts that, they would be wise to do so as it should help to sell cars as it lowers the cash that you have to come up with. But Tesla has always been able to sell more cars than they can built - when that changes perhaps they will have to think about things like this.

The incentive is a HUGE draw for me and the realistically, the deciding factor in me reserving my Model 3. Really hoping it's still available once it's time for me to purchase. All this wait and planning would be for nothing if they scrapped/significantly reduced it. *fingerscrossed*

I think if an election were held today, the current Liberal government would be out and the EV incentives would end shortly thereafter.

The next scheduled election will happen on or before June 7, 2018 so unless there is a huge swing in popular opinion, I'd say you have until about then.

• Informative
Reactions: rypalmer
I think if an election were held today, the current Liberal government would be out and the EV incentives would end shortly thereafter.

The next scheduled election will happen on or before June 7, 2018 so unless there is a huge swing in popular opinion, I'd say you have until about then.
I'm not getting my hopes up. This is always the case approval ratings and polls start off good for the opposition bad for the current government then level out closer to election time.

Liberals have also done a good job of pandering. Min wage, rent control and hydro rates reductions are all misleading policies that the average voter absorbs at face value. Ask the average voter what the gas plant, deleted email, scandal was, Say what you will about the Liberals they're great at winning elections. I'm willing to put my 14k incentive on the line....

All,

Since conversations on this topic has been spanning across multiple threads, I have decided to create a new thread where we can discuss this and have the most up to date information posted here.

What we know:

The Model 3 meets all of the qualifications set out by the EHVIP program and thus SHOULD qualify for the maximum rebate of $14,000. As it stands, the Model 3 is NOT listed on the EHVIP's list of eligible vehicles. EVIP Eligible Vehicle and Incentives List

Tesla shows the Model 3 as qualifying for the $14,000 rebate in the Model 3 configurator but has worded things vaguely across multiple sections of their website. Nobody wants to put down a non-refundable deposit for $3,200 only to have vague wording come back to bite them in the end. We need a definitive answer on this.

What I have done so far:

On Saturday March 24th, I called Tesla Customer Care for Model 3 and asked about the status of their application. The person I spoke to did not have any information and said he would check with his management on Monday morning (March 26). He said he would then call me back as soon as possible, he starts his shift at 7am PST. If you would also like to put some pressure on Tesla to get an answer, you can call in and raise the issue as well. 1-888-518-3752 Option 3

I took it upon myself to reach out to the Ministry of Finance today. After being transferred to a few people, I ended up landing at a voicemail box. I left a detailed message for the person regarding the situation and asked for a call back. Their voicemail greeting was dated March 22nd and they stated they were in the office that day. I hope they listen to my message today.
You can also call to help bring their attention to this issue, I imagine the more voices they hear on the matter, the less likely it is for them to leave it on the back burner.

Ministry of Finance person responsible for the EHVIP program: 1-866-668-8297 Ext: 14713

I would ask that any persons interested in the Model 3 please help pursue these channels so that we can finally put this important issue to rest. Please post here if you have called either number, their response and anything you may have learned.

Thanks!

-Tony

Tony,

I think you should call MTO because MTO is responsible for reviewing and providing the approved list. MOF is only responsible to reimburse whatever on MTO's list.

The contact number provided on the EHVIP page says to call the Ministry of Finance.

"Note: A vehicle with a model year older than those listed below would be eligible for an incentive, provided the vehicle is new. If you have any questions regarding a vehicle’s eligibility please contact the Ministry of Finance by Phone: 1 (866) 668-8297 or Fax: (905) 433-5939."