Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched the whole thing. It was pretty infuriating to watch. He just kept saying the same three things over and over again to every question asked even if it wasn't relevant. He said a lot without saying anything at all. I keep wondering what his plan is for what he is setting out to do but he hasn't provided anything worth of note yet.

Not surprised at all. Same rhetoric as his campaign messaging.

I think a lot of Model S/X buyers, especially early ones, fit into this description. And I think for many, it was probably the most expensive car, by a lot, that they had ever purchased. The incentive made it possible.

Prior my Model S, the most I ever spent on a car was about $42k so, you are exactly right. Most of my other cars were much much less, like our Honda Accord or our Honda CR-V, but I suppose now that I have the Model S, I am rubbing elbows with Jeff Bezos and Warren Buffet. LOL!!!

Directive from Doug Ford today according to the Toronto Star:
The directive stipulates “any expense that can be placed on hold without putting government service delivery or the public at risk” in terms of health, safety and security matters.
“Any planned expenditures that are not committed by contract and/or required to meet immediate legal obligations or address matters of health or safety are to be deferred pending further direction,” the directive states.

So would this not mean an immediate freeze on rebates?

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I visited the local PC office before the recent election and asked about their plans for the EV incentives.
They had no answer. They did say 'the new PC budget would be released in Jan 2019'.

Omg, a post relevant to the topic title! Is that even allowed on TMC? :D

Anyone else dare to post something that might actually answer the question?

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
And since you seem very happy about that, you can’t possibly comprehend the extent of the impact of man-made climate change on our kids and their future.

"Electricity production accounts for 38 percent of the total carbon dioxide emissions produced by the United States, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Transportation of people and goods accounts for 32 percent, while industry accounts for 14 percent."

Zero tailpipe is not zero CO2. The best solution is to reduce transportation needs. An EV is still part of the problem. Then there is the CO2 from the Tesla's that start on fire with no reason as just seen on the news.

"Electricity production accounts for 38 percent of the total carbon dioxide emissions produced by the United States, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Transportation of people and goods accounts for 32 percent, while industry accounts for 14 percent."

Zero tailpipe is not zero CO2. The best solution is to reduce transportation needs. An EV is still part of the problem. Then there is the CO2 from the Tesla's that start on fire with no reason as just seen on the news.

Wow, you are definitely trolling now.

Reactions: adaptabl
It’s pretty well guaranteed they will cancel the EV incentives given they are funded by Cap and Trade proceeds. Also someone in our EV club had asked the question of the administration via twitter and they had confirmed the planned elimination of incentives.

And a positive from all this talk of incentives going away is that EV sales in Ontario have skyrocketed. Tesla has probably delivered over 2,000 cars in Toronto over the last few weeks. Many other models are posting record monthly Canadian numbers for May. We have definitely reached a tipping point here in Ontario thanks to Tesla.

Reactions: Dr. J
As per CTV News...
BREAKING: Green Energy rebates shut down by Ontario government @GreenONfund confirms rebates will stop by end of August. All receipts must be in by end of September. Thousands in rebates for homeowners to "green" their homes ended by new @fordnation government

I don't believe this includes the green vehicle and charger programs (yet) - the list of cancelled incentives is here - https://www.greenon.ca/

This is all fine for us. While this program is not the EV rebate program, it's funded from the same cap & trade revenues. So when he shuts us down, it'll follow the same parameters. Note --

Contracts will be honoured if agreements have been signed with participating contractors for work to be completed by the end of August and rebate applications must be submitted by Sept. 30.

So in short, all submitted claims will be fine. Anyone who hasn't yet taken delivery should be very, very nervous. he gave till end of September here, I'd expect something similar for the EV programs.

Last edited: