Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery estimate was the standard 4-8 weeks. Went with MSM and Aero. No EAP. I was not expecting the expedited timeline, but hey, looks like things are coming up Millhouse! Was a day 2 reservation holder. Not sure if they still prioritize your delivery based on when you put your initial deposit down though.

Reactions: Whisky
I don't think getting the rebate is guaranteed at this point. If Ford plays nice, orders that have already been placed will be grandfathered, but really there's no obligation on his part to honour the rebate. I'm at risk since I just placed my order this week.

Given the GreenON program cancellation was considerate of orders already placed and awaiting implementation, I would presume the same would hold for the EV rebates. I am guessing the EVIP program will be cancelled next Friday or soon after and any orders (not reservations) placed prior would be provided a rebate. What would be really nice of them is to also extend this to reservation holders that could get their vehicle plated before the end of the year but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Unpopular opinion, but I think EV rebates today are stupid. EV manufacturers need to be competitive with ICE without government subsidies in order for us to see a real revolution.

Someone buying a Tesla shouldn't be getting their luxury car purchase subsidized by taxpayers' money.

That opinion has been debated many times over. Depends I think on your orientation. If you focus on what you have said, it would seem legit however if you focus on what I think the intent of the programs are, to reduce CO2, it isn't (to me at least) a viable argument.

I'd rather someone that owned a luxury SUV was provided an incentive that prompted them to buy a luxury EV.

Given the GreenON program cancellation was considerate of orders already placed and awaiting implementation, I would presume the same would hold for the EV rebates. I am guessing the EVIP program will be cancelled next Friday or soon after and any orders (not reservations) placed prior would be provided a rebate. What would be really nice of them is to also extend this to reservation holders that could get their vehicle plated before the end of the year but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

I would not be counting on that. Ford has no like of incentives. I suspect it will be cancelled retroactively to his election or even earlier. If you don't have a cheque now don't count on one. Really if you can afford a $60,000.00 plus car, tax payers should not be giving you money.

That opinion has been debated many times over. Depends I think on your orientation. If you focus on what you have said, it would seem legit however if you focus on what I think the intent of the programs are, to reduce CO2, it isn't (to me at least) a viable argument.

I'd rather someone that owned a luxury SUV was provided an incentive that prompted them to buy a luxury EV.

True, but I think most people buying into Teslas aren't really considering other cars, and the rebate should not be a deal-breaker.

Really if you can afford a $60,000.00 plus car, tax payers should not be giving you money.

^ this +1. That said, Onterrible under Wynne seems to spend plenty of taxpayers money on terrible policies, so the EV program is not so bad, this will hopefully change with Ford. Example: Ontario electricity customers have paid more than $6 billion to cover the cost of exporting the province’s energy surplus

He's his brother. Most of us didn't vote for him. He got 40% of the vote. Rest was split between the two further left leaning parties.

With the multitude of parties running in each riding (there were 7 parties running in my riding) you are never going to see popular vote line up with seat count. The vote just gets split up amongst all these hopefuls. When Kathleen Wynne's Liberals reached a majority in 2014, they got 38.65% of the popular vote, and the time before (also a majority) the Liberals got 37.65%)

• Informative
Reactions: phigment
I would not be counting on that. Ford has no like of incentives. I suspect it will be cancelled retroactively to his election or even earlier. If you don't have a cheque now don't count on one. Really if you can afford a $60,000.00 plus car, tax payers should not be giving you money.

Yes, I get that Ford has no like of incentives. That's more than clear from the GreenON slashes though even there if you’re already signed up for a rebate, it will be honoured if:
  • You have a signed work agreement with a participating contractor for work that will be completed by August 31, 2018
  • Your rebate application is submitted by September 30, 2018
I suspect there are legal reasons for the approach above and if there are legal concerns about the proper ending of the EHVIP program, I could see something similar there as well. What Ford wants and what is legally prudent might not be the same. Though I would imagine he has more consideration for the trades people involved in the GreenON program than for EV manufacturers. So on that count you could be right that EVIP is cancelled more aggressively. Regardless, we'll soon know. Personally, if I had an offer I would have ordered this week. If many are wrongfully affected, I could see a class action being launched.

Also, form the MTO website, I believe this would be the intended spirit of the EHVIP program: (you'd think they'd be taking that down!)

To achieve its GHG reduction objectives identified in the Climate Change Action Plan (CCAP), the government is delivering a suite of initiatives aimed at increasing the adoption of electric and hydrogen vehicles. Together, these initiatives serve to reduce GHGs by replacing internal combustion engine vehicles with vehicles that have lower (or zero) tailpipe emissions and are powered by Ontario’s low-carbon electricity grid.

Accelerating the shift to low- and zero-emission vehicles will be crucial if Ontario is to achieve its climate change goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) to 15% below 1990 levels in 2020, 37% in 2030 and 80% in 2050.

That said, these incentives were likely intended to decline as EV costs came more in line with their ICE counterparts. So it's just providing an incentive that helped broach a temporary gap in costs. Not forever. Governments have often played a role in incentivizing change. That's not a particularly bad thing. Canada has signed international agreements in good faith. Will be interesting to see how things play out at the federal level. Watch our money go down the drain when Ford loses in court when he fights the federal carbon tax. The legal fees alone will probably be greater than all the EV rebates that could have happened.

My delivery estimate was the standard 4-8 weeks. Went with MSM and Aero. No EAP. I was not expecting the expedited timeline, but hey, looks like things are coming up Millhouse! Was a day 2 reservation holder. Not sure if they still prioritize your delivery based on when you put your initial deposit down though.

I reserved the 1st Day and config'ed on May 24th but still not getting the VIN yet ?

For those that filled out the charger incentive and have 2 owners of the car, what did you do on the form? It only gives you space to put 1 owner. I called the Ministry and they said they'd have to look into it and let me know.
I had the same situation and based on previous discussion on this form, I filled both names. First name comma second first name an the last name comma second last name. I had two names on my vehicle registration, however my invoices had only one name.

The idea was two be consistent with vehicle registration.

• Helpful
Reactions: Munch
I read some where that Tesla would let you get a refund on your order if the credit didn't apply. Do you know if that's true so that if I ordered today and when it was ready for delivery that the rebate is gone, can I refuse delivery and get money back?

I should have ordered before but was waiting for the regular range model...

That's an interesting timeline. I ordered my car 2 days after the election, and delivery date set for June 28th... eek! 8 days!! Did you opt for home delivery?

Holy crap that's fast!

I was told it didn't matter if I picked home delivery or not as when the VIN was assigned they'd call and confirm final pickup / drop off decision. I haven't heard anything since.... Still freakishly waiting impatiently.

I'm not a day 1 reservation holder though, I'm from Nov 2016... couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger day 1! :(

Well damn!

I'm still waiting on my delivery... Anyone know how quickly they submit the paperwork upon delivery? Or does it get processed from a VIN assignment preemptively?

I figure no matter what, as long as it's submitted before they cancel it, it'll be fine.... *fingers crossed*

You can't submit the paperwork for the rebate until getting the car despite having the VIN already is because you also need to provide a copy of the car registration / ownership slip along with the application, along with the license plate number, and you won't have that until the car is plated and delivered to you.
What you can do, which is what I did, is fill the form with everything you can now, and then when you take delivery of car, fill in the few missing pieces of information such as the license plate number, registration/plating date, and email it in the right after you get the car.

edyee