Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered my AWD Model 3 today, delivery estimate 3-5 months. The chance that the incentive survives that long seems pretty slim, but I hope the new government will also honor the locked-in orders similarly to yours. Although I do not really expect them to do so, but still hope nonetheless.

Do you think Ford will cancel EV rebate?
What are the chance that MTO will not honour EV rebate for Model 3 AWD model?

I got email that my M3 is ready to order. I had reserved on 22nd of April 2018. GTA in Canada. Is that normal, as i was told i will get car in around 12 months. How much time i have to configure the car?
Total price for all options is around CAD 84,000.00. In that case, am I still eligible for Ontario Rebate?
Can someone confirm if 14,000.00 Ontario rebate is still applicable for AWD Model 3 with long range battery, red multi coat paint, 19" sports wheel, enhanced autopilot and FSD capability. Total price comes out to be CAD 84,000.00. Plz confirm as only RWD long range battery is listed on MTO's website.
thanks

I ordered May 18 and got my email May 28th for a June 7th delivery. I ordered them because I was concerned about the rebate and gambled. I knew there were a ton of 3s going to the IC so I figured there was a good chance I’d get in on time. Submitted my application before the polls closed.

I finally got the call this morning at 10am, telling me if I get the paperwork filled out by 11, I can have it delivered today. It's on it's way from Toronto to Ottawa and will arrive by Midnight!

Also got the paperwork filled in for EVIP before 5PM since I had it already.

Looking forward to the long weekend! :)

• Disagree
Reactions: 03DSG and McFlurri
There are several threads in the Canada sub-forum about rebates - you should go read them. In any case, you answered the question yourself. The rebate is being issued by the Ontario government and their list of eligible vehicles only lists RWD. Therefore, AWD does not qualify.

99.999% sure :) The question is when. Summer session resumes July 11 so we'll probably know fairly soon.

If the rebate is cancelled, I would expect there will be a period where existing orders will be honored for a period of time but for how long is also unknown and anyone's guess. I would think at least 3 months from the announcement. Ideally till the end of this year.

Congrats Anto. I reserved and ordered in the same month so it will be a few months at minimum for me and unfortunately no further ahead today in understanding how long the rebate will be available for. So I took off EAP and FSD tonight to hedge my bets. Tried calling Tesla but the automated message said that due to high call volume from the release of reservations I would have to call back in a few days!

I was originally presuming delivery wouldn't be till the spring 2019 which would have suited me fine (with rebate that is) but gotta roll with it a bit. New government, new rules. I'm conservative but didn't vote for them. How you can say you are transparent on one hand but not have a plan on the other is beyond me but that's politics.

Summer session starts July 11 so I'm sure we'll know better how the rebate will be handled in the next couple of weeks.

What are the chance that MTO will not honour EV rebate for Model 3 AWD model?
There’s nothing for MTO to honour since AWD is not on their list...

Second that. The only Tesla that is currently available for an EHVIP (Ontario) rebate, is that which is on the EHVIP list which is the 2018 Model 3 Long Range + RWD.

AWD would need to go through the certification process to get on the list and I doubt Tesla is even trying to do that given the likelihood of the program being cancelled.

I think Free Ridership is unmeasurable in this current program, as opposed to a Cash For Scrap Program, where you get the Rebate only when you Scrap an ICE Car to buy an EV Car (Or SUV). (In B.C. that adds 50% to the EV Rebate, going from $5,000 to $7,500 if you Scrap an ICE Vehicle, as I understand!)

I disagreed with floating raising and shrinking the amount of the Rebate based on the Cars Purchase Price. In Concert with a T4 Earnings Statement, or a T1 Tax Return, it might have been meaningful, if, for example, Very High Incomes were actually Measured, as to the Rebate, and if a High Income ... No Rebates, if just adding another car to the Stables, but a Small Rebate if Trading off your ICE Car, but a Bigger one if you actually Scrapped it out. Point Being - to ensure the ICE Car was Replaced, by the EV Car.

What would be the Barrier for High Income? Well, that is the Challenge, and since Toronto, Ontario, has been said to be the home of over 180,000 Millionaires, not counting Homes and it's supposed Value, I would say, of the 2.5+ Million People, if only Millionaires (Those with Incomes of $1 Million a Year or More) were Excluded, Totally, there would be little Sympathy for them. If earning between $250,000 and $1,000,000 Per year, you could get a 50% of the Max Rebate, would still be reasonable, in my mind, if the Max was the $14,000 Figure, and you had to Trade it in to get $10,000 x 50% ($5,000); or Scrap it to then get 50% of the full $14,000 ($7,000), this would still have value.

Also - The Max Rebate, is - today, Quite High, compared to when it came out, with the Early LEAF and Volt, and has not raised the Floor for Minimum Battery Size, to then get the Max Credits, either! It probably should have been raised each year, to support Makers that upgrade, or up size, their vehicles Battery Capacity.

I also disagree with EV Purchase (& Rebate Qualification) before EV Charger for Home or Business (Rebate Qualification)! I think they should have been reversed - Get the Charging Station and Build the Charging Options for All, then Qualify for the EV Rebate! But, as one who got their first EV as a EV Conversion in 2006, I might be being a bit strange in my thinking, having faced extremes in Range Anxiety since 12 years ago!

Well, I have to disagree. You simply can't generalize that all people buying a Model S/X are independently wealthy. For a lot, and I include myself in this category, the $14,000 rebate was the basis of a go/no-go decision.

And your argument misses the whole point of the incentive: to provide money to make up the difference between an EV and whatever ICE they were considering in it's place. If a Leaf purchase displaces at Sentra, what is wrong with a Model X displacing a Range Rover when the whole point is carbon reduction through higher EV sales. It's not meant to be some sort of social equity program. It has nothing to do with "rich vs. poor". Your argument would also seem to suggest a "rich" person should not get any rebate if they decide to buy a less expensive EV either.

I will say this, however. The program was very poor at measuring actual effectiveness. I was heavily involved in the saveONenergy programs run by the electric utilities a few years ago. We did all kinds of effectiveness measurement including calculating the "free ridership" levels each program saw. (Free ridership is the percentage of those taking advantage of a program who would have made the same decision without the incentive anyway). You will never get free ridership to zero, but until it is actually measured and evaluated, I don't know how anyone can say one class of car "needs" the rebate while another doesn't. For all we know, free ridership levels may actually be higher with less expensive cars. Results are often counter-intuitive.

I got email that my M3 is ready to order. I had reserved on 22nd of April 2018. GTA in Canada.
Total price for all options is around CAD 84,000.00. In that case, am I still eligible for Ontario Rebate?
Can someone confirm if 14,000.00 Ontario rebate is still applicable for AWD Model 3 with long range battery, red multi coat paint, 19" sports wheel, enhanced autopilot and FSD capability. Total price comes out to be CAD 84,000.00. Plz confirm as only RWD long range battery is listed on MTO's website. AWD long range is not in the list at the moment :-(
thanks

Second that. The only Tesla that is currently available for an EHVIP (Ontario) rebate, is that which is on the EHVIP list which is the 2018 Model 3 Long Range + RWD.

AWD would need to go through the certification process to get on the list and I doubt Tesla is even trying to do that given the likelihood of the program being cancelled.
I agree with it, but hope its not true
HAs anyone tried to contact Tesla to check if they are trying for AWD Long range to be on the list?

There are several threads in the Canada sub-forum about rebates - you should go read them. In any case, you answered the question yourself. The rebate is being issued by the Ontario government and their list of eligible vehicles only lists RWD. Therefore, AWD does not qualify.

Also - when the Model 3 First was orderable in Canada - Tesla Was Not on the Ontario Rebates List anymore (Since in March they Capped it at the $75,000 Limit, and the S & X were all above that), the Model 3 got listed later as it was likely in process at the time, but not yet Priced so could not be listed, until the Canadian Price was settled, first. The Dual Motor might well be in the works. What do Tesla Reps at the Stores Say?

I got email that my M3 is ready to order. I had reserved on 22nd of April 2018. GTA in Canada.
Can someone confirm if 14,000.00 Ontario rebate is still applicable for AWD Model 3 with long range battery, red multi coat paint, 19" sports wheel, enhanced autopilot and FSD capability. Total price comes out to be CAD 84,000.00. Plz confirm as only RWD long range battery is listed on MTO's website. AWD long range is not in the list at the moment :-(
thanks

No one can confirm that. No one knows if they will add AWD to the list of vehicles. In fact, most people think it WILL NOT be eligible because, why update a program with new cars if you are about to end the program altogether?

Also - when the Model 3 First was orderable in Canada - Tesla Was Not on the Ontario Rebates List anymore (Since in March they Capped it at the $75,000 Limit, and the S & X were all above that), the Model 3 got listed later as it was likely in process at the time, but not yet Priced so could not be listed, until the Canadian Price was settled, first. The Dual Motor might well be in the works. What do Tesla Reps at the Stores Say?

All of this has been discussed ad nauseum in the Canada sub forum. @Amandeep has been bombarding the same post all over these forums and not reading the extensive existing discussions on the subject.

If the Libs were still in power in ON, then of course the rebate program that THEY designed would continue to operate and AWD would go through the qualifying steps and eventually appear on the eligibility list. No one is debating that. The problem as you are hopefully aware is the new PC government sworn into power just yesterday and their stated mandate to dismantle programs designed to fund the rebates. They’ve already begun executing this agenda by canceling the GreenON incentives. Similatly, the EV incentives aren’t likely to survive much longer.

I contacted the Ontario Ministry of Finance yesterday and they confirmed AWD is NOT on the list of eligible vehicles so if it was processed today it wouldn't be covered. She said the list is kept current by the MTO and if Tesla has applied AWD would be added in future "unless the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EHVIP) is canceled".

Doug Ford has made a commitment to cancel EHVIP so its a $14,000 gamble to order AWD. I'm going to place my bet elsewhere

Hi everyone, I emailed evip yesterday and got this quick reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. There is a longstanding protocol in Ontario that after the election concludes and prior to formal swearing in of the new government, the business of government continues in the role of caretaker role. We will be pleased to follow up with you at a later time.

The vehicles are approved for the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle (EHVIP) eligibility list are based on applications the Ministry receives from the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) such as Toyota, Honda, GM, Ford etc. I would encourage you to consult our website for any updates.

Thank you once again for your interest in Ontario’s Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program.

Jackie
EHVIP Team