Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't a more concerning thing the potential trade war, and what just happened to Tesla imports to China?

Tesla hikes prices in China as trade war hits US cars

What is that happens in Canada? Ie, trump puts a duty on Canadian car imports, and in retaliation the government does a tit for tat?

I can handle knowingly risking getting the rebate, but not knowing if there will be a trade war here 3 months from now is making me very nervous....

Isn't a more concerning thing the potential trade war, and what just happened to Tesla imports to China?

What is that happens in Canada? Ie, trump puts a duty on Canadian car imports, and in retaliation the government does a tit for tat?

I can handle knowingly risking getting the rebate, but not knowing if there will be a trade war here 3 months from now is making me very nervous....
I'm hardly an expert on tariffs, but it seems to me that if you've ordered a car for a certain price and Tesla's costs increase between now and then because of import tariffs, Tesla would have to eat that difference for existing orders. New orders might go up but your existing order would be fine.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
I'm hardly an expert on tariffs, but it seems to me that if you've ordered a car for a certain price and Tesla's costs increase between now and then because of import tariffs, Tesla would have to eat that difference for existing orders. New orders might go up but your existing order would be fine.

I think you are right....

That is why Tesla has to charge more for order received after China impose the import tariff. If those Tariff are on top of the price that Tesla quote you (like tax and fee), then they don't have to worry about it.

I think you are right....

That is why Tesla has to charge more for order received after China impose the import tariff. If those Tariff are on top of the price that Tesla quote you (like tax and fee), then they don't have to worry about it.

Hmmm, that makes sense and makes me feel more at ease. Hopefully no trade war happens regardless since that would be horrible for both countries. But on a selfish side, right now I just hope nothing will prevent me from picking up the model 3 in three-ish months :)

Called Tesla today to ask about my wait time. When I ordered my M3 on June 23rd it clearly stated 4 to 8 weeks and even confirmed the timeline with a Tesla representative a few days later. Today they're telling me my wait has changed to from 4 - 8 weeks to 3 - 5 months. So they open the floodgates and the early adopters appear to be lumped in with the masses.

This massive delay all happens after I quickly order the car to to have the best chance of getting in on EVIP.

I think there's an almost a 0% chance of getting a rebate with the new timelines but we need god damn clarification from TrumpJr...

• Informative
Reactions: Anto and phigment
Called Tesla today to ask about my wait time. When I ordered my M3 on June 23rd it clearly stated 4 to 8 weeks and even confirmed the timeline with a Tesla representative a few days later. Today they're telling me my wait has changed to from 4 - 8 weeks to 3 - 5 months. So they open the floodgates and the early adopters appear to be lumped in with the masses.

Is there a delivery estimate on your account? Has it been updated to 3-5 months?

Well it’s getting more clearer everyday....“Of course there was the $14,000 rebate program for millionaires who were going to get that rebate to buy a Tesla or an electric vehicle. Those are the types of programs that were killed as a result of the cap-and-trade program,” said Smith.

PCs to end York strike and kill cap-and-trade law during rare summer session of the Ontario legislature | The Star

How incredibly short sighted. Oh well, nothing we didn’t already know. Let’s see how they wind it down.

Getting back to how much money is left in the EHVIP program, presuming it's allowed to wind-down as promised, here's an article
and charts from fleetcarma with some interesting numbers.

Taking from here I can only presume the lower limit of the fund range would be adhered to, $140M less $47M to end of '17 leaves only $93M with about $30M eaten in Q1-'18 leaves only $63M? That's a lot less that I was under the impression. That's only 4500 M3's. Thankfully the MX and MS are no longer part of this :)

So even if there is no end date and the program is allowed to run itself out, I don't see funds lasting much past Q3 unless they allow the full $160M (CCAP ‘Intended 5 Year Funding Range’: $140,000,000 - $160,000,000)

Would be happy to be shown I've miscalculated...

screen-shot-2018-06-08-at-4.10.00-pm.png

screen-shot-2018-06-08-at-4.08.59-pm.png

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Is there a delivery estimate on your account? Has it been updated to 3-5 months?

That's correct. My order was locked in on the 23rd of June and I couldn't make any further changes so when I called in to verify timelines I was told 3 to 5 months.

The Tesla representative unlocked my account to allow me the option to reconfigure to AWD (as I'm seriously considering it if I have to wait anyway and there's no EVIP left) however she said nothing will change with my order unless I actually make a change to the order. If I end up switching to AWD she warned me it would most likely take longer than my current RWD but had no idea as to how long either would be. She said pre-orders folks should get them first but didn't sound very confident.

Once my account was unlocked I logged in (making zero changes to the order) and sure enough it's right there at the bottom and says "Delivery in ~3-5 months".

She also confirmed my original order date would stay the same (it doesn't change unless you change full model types) so I should still qualify for the Internet etc. They (Tesla Reps) apparently we're given instruction today to tell customers that as many of us are calling in confused.

I'm guessing unless you had your order locked in before June you're in for a long wait with not great odds of getting EVIP. .

So now assuming EVIP is going away soon, think I should just upgrade to the base AWD model? It's not that much more. I'm curious to see any real comparisons to the RWD model though. How much better is it?

• Informative
Reactions: PAWilson
Well it’s getting more clearer everyday....“Of course there was the $14,000 rebate program for millionaires who were going to get that rebate to buy a Tesla or an electric vehicle. Those are the types of programs that were killed as a result of the cap-and-trade program,” said Smith.

PCs to end York strike and kill cap-and-trade law during rare summer session of the Ontario legislature | The Star

Damn, that kind of says it all. They're going to kill it as fast as they can. If there's money left in the coffers it will probably be repurposed elsewhere.

Reactions: Anto

I appreciate your anxiety, but that's just an extra reason to order now (Tesla can't retroactively change the price of your order). It's like a mortgage: "But rates might go up a lot!?!". If you want to reduce risk, lock in now. If you want the opportunity to get future options, wait. Nobody's forcing you either way. Unfortunately we can't have our cake and eat it too.

I appreciate your anxiety, but that's just an extra reason to order now (Tesla can't retroactively change the price of your order). It's like a mortgage: "But rates might go up a lot!?!". If you want to reduce risk, lock in now. If you want the opportunity to get future options, wait. Nobody's forcing you either way. Unfortunately we can't have our cake and eat it too.

I have ordered already 2 weeks ago, I went for the AWD model. No EAP :)

That's where my anxiety came from because I thought maybe if the tariff came in I might have to walk away from my deposit. However it does seem that the general consensus is the tariff cannot be applied retroactively, so that alleviates my worries.

Now I just have anxiety about waiting until October for delivery :)