Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that both estimated deliveries of Sep - Nov and Oct - Dec are now the same Aug - Oct. Can't help but wonder if there's more to that than simply adjusting timelines based on previously established, standard operating practices for producing these estimates.

If Dougie can allow the "retirement" of Hydro One CEO to appear like a victory for taxpayers in avoiding a $10.7M severance while in fact he's now able to collect his incentives (yes, INCENTIVES) estimated around $9M - you'd think there would be a way to quietly dispense EHVIP rebates up till Sept 10 now that he's captured the optics of having dismantled it.

Yet we are the alleged millionaires who don't need this rebate. What a crock.

Reactions: lukex4
My Tesla guy called me with the news today and said I could get a full refund on my deposits but I really want my Tesla 3. I can’t do it without the rebates so I wrote MTO and copied the MPP explaining I have a VIN number, expect delivery within the next 2 weeks and have already had the charger installed. I hope this government finds some compassion on this.

Ouch. That's tough. Hope you get some good news!

I called ministry of finance here
‭1 (866) 668-8297‬, when promoted for what program by the boy, say electric Vehicle.
The person seems perplaexed by the exclusion of Tesla, but cannot give me a straight answer or explanation. Was told to take contact info down and someone will contact me. I would encourage you guys to do the same.

My Tesla guy called me with the news today and said I could get a full refund on my deposits but I really want my Tesla 3. I can’t do it without the rebates so I wrote MTO and copied the MPP explaining I have a VIN number, expect delivery within the next 2 weeks and have already had the charger installed. I hope this government finds some compassion on this.

When was your Config Date ? I configered on May 24th and I believe will get the VIN very soon. I also ordered the Charger online couple days ago ! We will be on the same boat !!

I called ministry of finance here
‭1 (866) 668-8297‬, when promoted for what program by the boy, say electric Vehicle.
The person seems perplaexed by the exclusion of Tesla, but cannot give me a straight answer or explanation. Was told to take contact info down and someone will contact me. I would encourage you guys to do the same.
done
It's also a good idea to write to your MPP and express how you are feeling. I personally feel that the current government costing me 14K means that I'm going to be putting at least 14K into making sure they never get elected again.
You can find your mpp's email here Current MPPs | Legislative Assembly of Ontario

Reactions: Ludatik
done
It's also a good idea to write to your MPP and express how you are feeling. I personally feel that the current government costing me 14K means that I'm going to be putting at least 14K into making sure they never get elected again.
You can find your mpp's email here Current MPPs | Legislative Assembly of Ontario

I’ve done this many times already and haven’t received any response from anyone yet. I included the screen capture that was in this thread where Ford said all purchases made before June 29 would be honoured.

Ordered a LR AWD on 6/27/2018. Very disappointed that the rebate is cancelled for this configuration. I was a day 0 reservation holder, waited in line for hours. I would have ordered the RWD but I've been in enough close call winter situations to know that AWD can save the day sometimes on very icy roads. The timing is unfortunate. I have saved money to buy this car for the past 2 years and I was counting on the rebate. Now I have to find another source of funds, if possible.

I require a car for my daily commute. Public transit is not an option. I dislike having to use gasoline. I need to commute so that I can earn a living, pay taxes, and save for retirement. I'm an Ontarian tax payer and believe that I should be treated with reasonable respect from my elected officials. They are not our dictators. In good faith I made a choice for an electric car partially based on the incentive - a program that was very clearly in place for the past few years with what I would consider an expectation that the Model 3 AWD would be added to the rebate list. Now I am being treated like a piece of garbage from the government because what I consider an environmentally sound choice.

• Love
Reactions: mahagala
If Dougie can allow the "retirement" of Hydro One CEO to appear like a victory for taxpayers in avoiding a $10.7M severance while in fact he's now able to collect his incentives (yes, INCENTIVES) estimated around $9M - you'd think there would be a way to quietly dispense EHVIP rebates up till Sept 10 now that he's captured the optics of having dismantled it.

I've been wondering about this. how did the CEO who was entitled to at $10M payout walk away willingly with only $400k? There has to be more to this story than is being reported from the few news sites I've read this story on. Can you provide some sources for the extended incentives? Thank you.

Reactions: 03DSG
I have been waiting and dreaming about the Model3 since I placed my reservation 2 years ago. Although no one could predict if and when the rebate ended, I feel Tesla’s production delays and also their roll-out strategy of LR model first made me put off ordering. I have always been looking for the SR model - as we don’t need the extra range. So after waiting, and with the rebate now gone, the price of the model3 is now hard to justify for our family. I am not saying it’s Tesla’s fault entirely...however, I do think that if they delivered on time and offered the SR battery on day 1, then I would currently be proudly driving a Model3 (instead of the crappy EV I had to settle for at the last minute).

My dreams of driving a Tesla one day are not over...but they have been seriously delayed.

I've been wondering about this. how did the CEO who was entitled to at $10M payout walk away willingly with only $400k? There has to be more to this story than is being reported from the few news sites I've read this story on. Can you provide some sources for the extended incentives? Thank you.

I believe it was a Toronto Star article...may be pay walled. If you google "ontario hydro CEO $9M" you'll probably find some articles.

So he gets his incentives but we don't get ours? Difference being, he was smart and ensured they were in his contract while we are mere peons at the mercy of a regime change.

When they are done with the Trump balloon in England maybe we can have it modified to a Ford balloon and buy it for pennies on the dollar :)

I believe it was a Toronto Star article...may be pay walled. If you google "ontario hydro CEO $9M" you'll probably find some articles.

So he gets his incentives but we don't get ours? Difference being, he was smart and ensured they were in his contract while we are mere peons at the mercy of a regime change.

When they are done with the Trump balloon in England maybe we can have it modified to a Ford balloon and buy it for pennies on the dollar :)

Yes, by not terminating him he was able to walk away with his stock options. So he got paid either way, but Ford lied about it.

Doug Ford used legislative threat to oust Hydro One CEO, board

Faced with the potential loss of Hydro One stock options and other equity compensation that are currently worth about $9-million, Mr. Schmidt opted to “retire” on Wednesday with a $400,000 lump sum payment, while the 14-member board resigned. One source familiar with the talks said the government used the nuclear option, telling Mr. Schmidt and the board members to negotiate or see their contracts shredded.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Yes, by not terminating him he was able to walk away with his stock options. So he got paid either way, but Ford lied about it.
He would have got 10 million more if he was terminated or would have his contact terminated but he retired.

Not sure why Ford would allow this guy and the board to stay after they voted themselves to have more termination pay right before the election, speaks to the culture. To me that's a dereliction of duty to protect stakeholders, they're not supposed to be protecting themselves financially.

He would have got 10 million more if he was terminated or would have his contact terminated but he retired.

Not sure why Ford would allow this guy and the board to stay after they voted themselves to have more termination pay right before the election, speaks to the culture. To me that's a dereliction of duty to protect stakeholders, they're not supposed to be protecting themselves financially.

Don't disagree at all however the optics matters to me and why Ford played this as he did is beyond me. He gave the illusion that he'd pulled a miracle and avoided a $10.7M expense for taxpayers. A little more transparency would be appreciated, Mr. Ford.

Faced with the potential loss of Hydro One stock options and other equity compensation that are currently worth about $9-million, Mr. Schmidt opted to “retire” on Wednesday with a $400,000 lump sum payment, while the 14-member board resigned. One source familiar with the talks said the government used the nuclear option, telling Mr. Schmidt and the board members to negotiate or see their contracts shredded.
Thank you.