Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Owners Ontario club is giving serious thought on a rally to Queen’s Park.
Please email me at [email protected] to indicate if you are interested in participating.
You can join the club here: Ontario.teslaownersclub.ca
How about suing Doug Ford and his government for damages. He understands that type of language.

Are there any lawyers in here? I'm surprised this is not a more discussed option.

I wish the article mentioned that other EVs delivered before September 10th will still get the rebate.
Too bad Tesla didn't offer a comment. The articled could have at least mentioned Tesla's Tweet to the MTO: "It is unfair to treat our customers worse than those who bought their car from a middleman. We have reached out to the ministry and hope they correct this. Discriminating against Ontario residents based on how they chose to purchase a vehicle is wrong."

You could always let him know that.

I wish the article mentioned that other EVs delivered before September 10th will still get the rebate.
Too bad Tesla didn't offer a comment. The articled could have at least mentioned Tesla's Tweet to the MTO: "It is unfair to treat our customers worse than those who bought their car from a middleman. We have reached out to the ministry and hope they correct this. Discriminating against Ontario residents based on how they chose to purchase a vehicle is wrong."

They do. The last paragraph. Proving it’s an ineffective article since no one reads the whole thing. That last paragraph is scant and yet contains the entire issue.

They do. The last paragraph. Proving it’s an ineffective article since no one reads the whole thing. That last paragraph is scant and yet contains the entire issue.
Oh, you're right, but they use the same confusing dealer/manufacturer terminology as the website, "The province announced last week that the electric vehicle incentive program will end on Sept. 10 for those who have their vehicle delivered, registered and plated if it was purchased from a dealer. But it ended immediately for those who ordered their vehicle directly from the manufacturer."

It should say "The province announced last week that the electric vehicle incentive program will end on Sept. 10 for those who have their vehicle delivered, registered and plated as long as it was ordered before July 11th. But if you ordered a Tesla, it ended immediately."

Oh, you're right, but they use the same confusing dealer/manufacturer terminology as the website, "The province announced last week that the electric vehicle incentive program will end on Sept. 10 for those who have their vehicle delivered, registered and plated if it was purchased from a dealer. But it ended immediately for those who ordered their vehicle directly from the manufacturer."

It should say "The province announced last week that the electric vehicle incentive program will end on Sept. 10 for those who have their vehicle delivered, registered and plated as long as it was ordered before July 11th. But if you ordered a Tesla, it ended immediately."
That made me laugh. It would be too much to expect Doug Ford to speak the truth.

I've had communication earlier this morning that to date, there has been no formal announcement that addresses whether Tesla might throw us a bone for our inconveniences. Not to us nor Tesla Ontario.

I can only presume Tesla is (as they have always except perhaps with Germany once) letting the market decide, which is understandable. I bear them no ill-will though I think they missed an opportunity and I'm sure some of their employees in Ontario feel that way as well.

It's up to the feds at this stage. Cabinet was re-shuffled this morning but Catherine McKenna remains as Minister of Environment and Climate Change. Her riding is Ottawa Centre so I'm sure she's well aware of this story line.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to send her a message asking if there will be any incentives at the federal level. She has a master's degree from the London School of Economics and a law degree from McGill University so you'd think she's aware of the issues and the economics behind them.

What will be the position of the feds and/or by what date can we expect an announcement on whether national incentives will be made available or not.

Let her hear your voice. It could make a difference.

Catherine McKenna | Your member of parliament for Ottawa Centre

We’re you told by Tesla Friday is a deadline? I’ve never received any communication from Tesla except take my money.

Until I hear different from them I’m staying status quo

Tesla isn't reaching out to customers to offer a refund. Not to my knowledge anyway. I had to call and inquire. Only then was I offered a refund if desired. Still, its probably more critical for the order to be cancelled before a VIN is given than anything else.

Are there any lawyers in here? I'm surprised this is not a more discussed option.

I have been informed by a lawyer that this is not a legal matter. In fact, the imperious majority government in Queen's Park can fulfil any campaign promise in whatever manner they wish, or not, based on their own internal ideological policies or spur-of-the-moment self serving conniving.

Reactions: adaptabl
Not sure if this has any merit but OMVIC replied to my email stating that Tesla is registered as a dealership (see image). I will keep the email as proof should anyone know how we can use this.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    53.6 KB · Views: 45
I have been informed by a lawyer that this is not a legal matter. In fact, the imperious majority government in Queen's Park can fulfil any campaign promise in whatever manner they wish, or not, based on their own internal ideological policies or spur-of-the-moment self serving conniving.
Can we not fight on the grounds that it is technically a dealership as per the email image I attached above?

I've had communication earlier this morning that to date, there has been no formal announcement that addresses whether Tesla might throw us a bone for our inconveniences. Not to us nor Tesla Ontario.

I can only presume Tesla is (as they have always except perhaps with Germany once) letting the market decide, which is understandable. I bear them no ill-will though I think they missed an opportunity and I'm sure some of their employees in Ontario feel that way as well.

It's up to the feds at this stage. Cabinet was re-shuffled this morning but Catherine McKenna remains as Minister of Environment and Climate Change. Her riding is Ottawa Centre so I'm sure she's well aware of this story line.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to send her a message asking if there will be any incentives at the federal level. She has a master's degree from the London School of Economics and a law degree from McGill University so you'd think she's aware of the issues and the economics behind them.

What will be the position of the feds and/or by what date can we expect an announcement on whether national incentives will be made available or not.

Let her hear your voice. It could make a difference.

Catherine McKenna | Your member of parliament for Ottawa Centre
Tesla isn't reaching out to customers to offer a refund. Not to my knowledge anyway. I had to call and inquire. Only then was I offered a refund if desired. Still, its probably more critical for the order to be cancelled before a VIN is given than anything else.

Just received this reply from Vic Fedeli's office (Finance) in regards to my email:

Thank you for your email. I have been advised it best you contact the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks for a detailed response. You can contact them at [email protected]

Kind regards,

Andrea

Andrea Stoppa, B. Soc. Sc.
Executive Assistant, Vic Fedeli, M.P.P. Nipissing
165 Main St. East
North Bay, ON P1B 1A9
T:705-474-8340
F:705-474-9747
[email protected]