Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked the Ombudsman's Office for an update and received this:

"This Office is in ongoing discussions with the MTO. We cannot provide any timeline for the resolution of our inquiry, nor provide any indication of the result as we do not have the power to compel the Ministry to take any particular course."

Just to add on. We got our Model 3 last week (yay) and are at least eligible for a refund on the charger. However, there are no forms on the government website to apply for the refund now. We saved the old forms thankfully, but when I ask the MTO via twitter they keep telling me that there are new forms coming and they don’t when, etc. Been getting the same run around for a few weeks. It really feels like they’re trying to either not post the forms at all or are waiting till very close to the deadline to further screw people out of the incentive. Maybe something to add in to any future discussions with the powers that be.

Another negative segment from the CBC. They wanted to hear from a Model 3 customer who may cancel their order.
Tesla loses more money, but revenue increases | CBC News

Great job Kurtis!
But I’m still not happy with the overall message. This is an email I just sent to the producer:
“The consensus is we are not very happy with the segment. While Kurtis was well spoken you did not emphasize that Tesla has been singled out in the cancellation of the rebate. Why is no one reporting that?
When we spoke you weren’t even aware of that so I doubt the general public is.
In addition as usual it came across as quite negative with only the last portion showing a bit of optimism.
Why not talk about the number of Model 3s being delivered compared to the competition?
Why not ask people why they are buying an electric car and choosing a Tesla?
To focus on the small number being produced compared to GM is ridiculous. The Chev Volt is not the competition, it is a hybrid.
Everyone needs to understand how far Tesla has come in the past 6 years.
There is huge momentum with electric car sales. If Tesla wasn’t in the market the competition would not be offering the number of electric cars that they have now and coming down the road.
If CBC wants to be responsible it should show the other side of the equation and not just jump on the negative band wagon.
Has the reporter even driven a Model 3?
Please speak to all the people involved and do the right thing.”

Just to add on. We got our Model 3 last week (yay) and are at least eligible for a refund on the charger. However, there are no forms on the government website to apply for the refund now. We saved the old forms thankfully, but when I ask the MTO via twitter they keep telling me that there are new forms coming and they don’t when, etc. Been getting the same run around for a few weeks. It really feels like they’re trying to either not post the forms at all or are waiting till very close to the deadline to further screw people out of the incentive. Maybe something to add in to any future discussions with the powers that be.

Can you share the form you saved? I didn't get a chance to save it before they took it down

Just talked to the Ombudsman's office. They informed me that they have a meeting today with the MTO and may have more information after that, but they are not really sure. Their main purpose is to ensure the MTO implements policy fairly, something that is not being done in this case. The only problem is, they have no power to enforce. I also am trying to find out if we can even take delivery of the 3 before the September 10th deadline. Doesn't make much sense worrying about the rebate if the car comes in October. I will update as soon as I hear more, but if I don't hear soon, I will need to cancel my order.

• Informative
Reactions: Ludatik
No, just asking my Tesla Delivery Advisor - I've owned 2 Tesla's before...unfortunately I wasn't prioritized for my Model 3 delivery like we were told a couple of years ago :(.

Ok, let me know what he or she says. I ordered June 19th, changed to AWD on June 26th, then back to RWD on June 27th after realizing the AWD was NOT on the rebate list despite being listed on Telsa website. My order screen now says 'service not available' so i cannot see if I have a VIN or my edit button is gone. All of my trade-in/insurance/payment details are entered and green checkmark. I dont plan on cancelling and have installed a charger and would love to get the car before Sept 10th so i can at least take advantage of the charger rebate.

upload_2018-8-2_10-50-11.png

Reactions: Chanrhc
Just talked to the Ombudsman's office. They informed me that they have a meeting today with the MTO and may have more information after that, but they are not really sure. Their main purpose is to ensure the MTO implements policy fairly, something that is not being done in this case. The only problem is, they have no power to enforce. I also am trying to find out if we can even take delivery of the 3 before the September 10th deadline. Doesn't make much sense worrying about the rebate if the car comes in October. I will update as soon as I hear more, but if I don't hear soon, I will need to cancel my order.

I would caution anyone who's on the fence and who truly can't afford the vehicle without the rebate to cancel soon.

During my call to cancel, the Tesla agent mentioned that a recent memo changed their policy from "any time, even if you have a VIN" to "you can cancel as long as a VIN has not been assigned". VIN assignment is completely random as is Tesla's ability to change their refund policy. She mentioned that the grace period to cancel would also not be permanent and was due to end sooner rather than later although she couldn't give me a specific date.

I'd hate to see someone stuck with an $800+ monthly car payment that they legitimately cannot afford all because they waited for an Ombudsman's decision who holds absolutely no power to change policy. If this was day 2 of Ford's reign, I'd say stick with it! But we're week's into this and the issue is becoming stagnant. It has become very clear to me by the complete lack of communication and action by the powers that be that anything will change.

I personally have canceled and will be waiting for a concrete Federal rebate or incentive, however minuscule it may be.

Cancelling was not fun or easy to do, especially after waiting nearly two years for my dream vehicle. But I will say that I can breath a sigh of relief knowing that I won't have a massive car payment that I cannot afford in the next 2-3 months. The way I see it - in the coming months or year that it takes the Feds to develop an EV action plan, Tesla will only get better and stronger! Production will increase, issues will be ironed out and wait time will be reduced. I can only see the positive in this!

Losing $14,000 sucks, it really does. But there's no sense in pining for the past or crying over spilled milk. The incentive is gone and the bone head who killed it will do everything in his power to make sure it stays dead...

I would caution anyone who's on the fence and who truly can't afford the vehicle without the rebate to cancel soon.

During my call to cancel, the Tesla agent mentioned that a recent memo changed their policy from "any time, even if you have a VIN" to "you can cancel as long as a VIN has not been assigned". VIN assignment is completely random as is Tesla's ability to change their refund policy. She mentioned that the grace period to cancel would also not be permanent and was due to end sooner rather than later although she couldn't give me a specific date.

I'd hate to see someone stuck with an $800+ monthly car payment that they legitimately cannot afford all because they waited for an Ombudsman's decision who holds absolutely no power to change policy. If this was day 2 of Ford's reign, I'd say stick with it! But we're week's into this and the issue is becoming stagnant. It has become very clear to me by the complete lack of communication and action by the powers that be that anything will change.

I personally have canceled and will be waiting for a concrete Federal rebate or incentive, however minuscule it may be.

Cancelling was not fun or easy to do, especially after waiting nearly two years for my dream vehicle. But I will say that I can breath a sigh of relief knowing that I won't have a massive car payment that I cannot afford in the next 2-3 months. The way I see it - in the coming months or year that it takes the Feds to develop an EV action plan, Tesla will only get better and stronger! Production will increase, issues will be ironed out and wait time will be reduced. I can only see the positive in this!

Losing $14,000 sucks, it really does. But there's no sense in pining for the past or crying over spilled milk. The incentive is gone and the bone head who killed it will do everything in his power to make sure it stays dead...

Totally agree

Reactions: adaptabl

I spoke with Tesla yesterday after seeing your post. I was on hold a few times while the agent double checked for me. At first she was saying that when VIN is assigned you will not be able to cancel and receive a refund. However after some more discussion she went back to her co workers for further discussion and returned with" When you get assigned a VIN your delivery adviser will be contacting you. They are the only ones to be able ti cancel and issue a refund after a VIN is assigned. They will accommodate us in Ontario." But I would have to say they won't be giving much more time after that. That is what transpired during my conversation with Tesla yesterday.

• Informative
Reactions: BKR1986 and Ludatik
I’ve got to imagine even if they assigned you a vin you’ve got that first contact to still be able to cancel.

They sold you the vehicle including the $14,000 in the monthly vehicle price. They’ve never contacted you and told you that it is no longer available. Until they contact you for payment saying your order is arriving soon then I think you have good reason to cancel with no penalty.

I know people will say “it’s not their fault” but they sold people something promising a large incentive and it is their responsibility to inform their customers that it is no longer available.

I’m personally going to decide by the end of the week. I’m very on the fence still

I’ve got to imagine even if they assigned you a vin you’ve got that first contact to still be able to cancel.

They sold you the vehicle including the $14,000 in the monthly vehicle price. They’ve never contacted you and told you that it is no longer available. Until they contact you for payment saying your order is arriving soon then I think you have good reason to cancel with no penalty.

I know people will say “it’s not their fault” but they sold people something promising a large incentive and it is their responsibility to inform their customers that it is no longer available.

I’m personally going to decide by the end of the week. I’m very on the fence still

They did not promise anything. It is an estimated savings and beyond their control. Blame the Ford government, not Tesla. 14K is a fortune. Many new cars are 14K. This incentive did not have a chance of staying for the long term.

I have received my refund. Contrary to what I was told, my CC was debited instead of a cheque in 2-3 months. Two line items, both showing Canadian / Toronto references. One for $1k and one for $3.2k.

I am interested in hearing from anyone that ends up plating a LR RWD M3 as to what your order agreement date was and on what date it was plated. Please PM me or post a message when you have that information. Even if it's in a month or two, doesn't matter. Thanks.

I have received my refund. Contrary to what I was told, my CC was debited instead of a cheque in 2-3 months. Two line items, both showing Canadian / Toronto references. One for $1k and one for $3.2k.

I am interested in hearing from anyone that ends up plating a LR RWD M3 as to what your order agreement date was and on what date it was plated. Please PM me or post a message when you have that information. Even if it's in a month or two, doesn't matter. Thanks.

Oh wow! When did you cancel? I did so yesterday and they told me just that - a cheque would be mailed to me in 30-60 business days.

If the rebate fight is over...
I want to wait for the regular battery - will Tesla return my 3200 and keep my 1000 deposit and let me stay in line?
Will I drop to the bottom of the line again?

I don't think your reservation will do anything. I have one from December but don't think it will matter. Those willing to pay the highest price are top of the list. Those of us who want the base version will wait until demand falls. Look for early 2019 for this to happen.

I don't think your reservation will do anything. I have one from December but don't think it will matter. Those willing to pay the highest price are top of the list. Those of us who want the base version will wait until demand falls. Look for early 2019 for this to happen.

This is a fact.
I was told by the Tesla rep that they are doing away with all reservations. If you're a day one res holder and order an AWD with all the trimmings, you're going to get it at the same time as someone off the street ordering the same car. Which, in this example is 2-4 months.