Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that no lawsuit will be resolved until after September 10. I also think the Ombudsman investigation won’t conclude until after that point. Don’t forget that an advocacy group was also filing suit. Nothing will be resolved for many months, I believe.

So the bottom line is, if you are counting on the rebate, cancel your order. But folks who take delivery between July 12th and September 10th should follow closely.

Honesty, it’s a crappy situation because the rebate is designed to help people who can’t otherwise afford the car, but, ultimately, if the decision gets reversed, it will only benefit those of us who could afford the car regardless.

Reactions: Falkirk and mjavor
No VIN. My edit button is gone but no VIN. Ordered RWD June 11, changed to AWD June 28, then back to RWD when it I realized its not on the EHVIP on June 29th. When I originally ordered on June 11 the delivery window was 4-8 weeks, now its Aug - Oct.

Same here. Ordered June 21st with a 4-8 week delivery promise. Tesla changes that about 3 weeks ago to Aug - Oct delivery and couldn't guarantee anything. So I decided to change to AWD model. They are honoring the old pricing before the price increase.

Does anyone have a good Tesla contact? I ordered a LR RWD in mid-June and still do not have a VIN. Has anyone received their VIN on orders placed in June and before July 11th?

I ordered my M3 on June 19th so it's now over 8 weeks with no VIN number, I had a long frustrating conversation with the call centre rep and was amazed at his utter ignorance of the whole cancelled rebate issue and why there was some urgency to have deliveries before September 10th. I finally asked to speak to his supervisor and experienced much the same attitude, not sure why I did but I asked her to send me a written confirmation of our conversation. There does seem to be a disconnect between what Tesla is doing vis-a-vis a lawsuit and what their front line staff knows.

Reactions: Iggy663
I ordered my M3 on June 19th so it's now over 8 weeks with no VIN number, I had a long frustrating conversation with the call centre rep and was amazed at his utter ignorance of the whole cancelled rebate issue and why there was some urgency to have deliveries before September 10th. I finally asked to speak to his supervisor and experienced much the same attitude, not sure why I did but I asked her to send me a written confirmation of our conversation. There does seem to be a disconnect between what Tesla is doing vis-a-vis a lawsuit and what their front line staff knows.

I doubt it will be delivered before Sept 10th but it really doesn't matter anyways as there will be no rebate.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pittfall and dusdev

They won't ship you a car because:
- there aren't enough LR RWD orders to justify filling up a train or truck to get the car to your delivery center, and
- there aren't any AWD being built for Canada to fill the rest of the truck

My best guess is that Tesla will wait until there are a substantial backlog of Canadian orders to execute a bulk ship of AWD, P-AWD, and then fill in remaining space with RWD.

Reactions: vnanthacumar
They won't ship you a car because:
- there aren't enough LR RWD orders to justify filling up a train or truck to get the car to your delivery center, and
- there aren't any AWD being built for Canada to fill the rest of the truck

My best guess is that Tesla will wait until there are a substantial backlog of Canadian orders to execute a bulk ship of AWD, P-AWD, and then fill in remaining space with RWD.

They're doing this kind of thing everywhere, Australia New Zealand are seeing their first cars jut now, and Europe hasn't seen anything yet.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Hello Everyone,
I see this has been posted already but I will put it here officially.
A source at Tesla has confirmed to me that Tesla has now filed a lawsuit against the Ontario government seeking to overturn the decision to discriminate against Tesla and its customers during the wind-down of the rebate program.
I will keep you informed as I learn anything new.

Thanks,
John Dixon
Tesla Owners Club Ontario
President & Founder
[email protected]
ontario.teslaownersclub.ca

I cancelled my order last month because I didn't think there was a chance of this getting changed. I'm still driving my ICE vehicle and would like to know where's his 10 cent gasoline promise. Price today is $1.35, price on June 29 ~$1.34 (sworn in), price on June 7 ~$1.31 (election day). So gas is still higher than before the election!! Such BS

• Funny
Reactions: Ludatik
I cancelled my order last month because I didn't think there was a chance of this getting changed. I'm still driving my ICE vehicle and would like to know where's his 10 cent gasoline promise. Price today is $1.35, price on June 29 ~$1.34 (sworn in), price on June 7 ~$1.31 (election day). So gas is still higher than before the election!! Such BS
Buck a Beer Premier is using the .10 per ltr to pay for the legal fees for ending of the Cap and Trade. He is raising the 30 million needed by delaying the implementation of the .10 per ltr. By the way it will be more like .04 per ltr.

Ontario Cap and Trade Costs
  • 4.42 cpl on conventional gasoline
  • 5.63 cpl on diesel
  • 5.12 cpl on heating oil
So we are currently paying an extra .0442 per ltr for nothing. Maybe another class action law suite?

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
A source at Tesla has confirmed to me that Tesla has now filed a lawsuit against the Ontario government seeking to overturn the decision to discriminate against Tesla and its customers during the wind-down of the rebate program.

Thanks,
John Dixon
President & Founder
[email protected]

A link to the lawsuit would be fantastic.

Reactions: Chanrhc
Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
John Dixon
President & Founder
[email protected]

Useless ... I don't think Tesla will deliver the car before Sept 10th !