Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came home this afternoon and had a snail mail letter from Andrea Horwath, who is my MPP.

See attached

I don’t think anything will come of it but at least Yakabuski has tangible documents and support from the leader of the opposition party.

Your not being forced to lose $4,200 you can get a refund. misinformation like this will do nothing to change the program rules.

• Disagree
Reactions: mjavor
Just received this from my local MP:

Dear Iggy,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program.

On July 3, 2018, our government cancelled the cap and trade carbon tax as part of its commitment to bring gas prices down by 10 cents a litre and help reduce costs for Ontario families and businesses by $1.9 billion dollars per year.

As the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program and the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Programs were funded through cap-and-trade proceeds, these programs have been cancelled with an orderly wind-down.

All vehicles that were delivered, registered and plated by July 11 will have the incentive honoured. For more information please visit www.ontario.ca/electricvehicles<electricvehicles>.

As well, dealerships who have inventory on lots or have ordered vehicles by July 11, and deliver, register and plate to consumers by September 10 will also have the incentive honoured.

Our government does not believe it’s right to finance a program by imposing a carbon tax on every Ontario resident. And that’s why the cap and trade has been cancelled and its programs are winding down.

Our focus will be to give people lower gas prices, lower energy bills and a real break in their wallets in order to get our economy going and create jobs.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Gila Martow
Gila Martow
Member of Provincial Parliament for Thornhill
Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Labour
[email protected]
905-731-8462
Yup I got one of those from Gila today too, totally addressed all my concerns and was completely relevant. Must have been evip response day.

Picked up my Ford Fusion Energi today, I really love the electric feel, no it doesn’t have the same cool tech or the quick acceleration or full range battery, but I’ve been able to drive around my suburb all day on the battery alone and the price just can’t be beat at a top end setup at $28,000 compared to the $64,100 of the model 3. 35 KM range on full charge (plus regen braking) and the ability for 110 or 240 charge, great luxurious car as a daily driver. Got black rims with white car so it’s a sharp looking car too, similar to curves of Model S.

For anyone who cancelled that can’t afford the Tesla anymore I would highly recommend looking into one of these. Only a couple of more weeks left.

I will say the customer service working with a dealer was refreshing as well, no 90 minutes call wait time, no months to get refunds. Communication at all steps of the purchase....weird
Congrats. Ford has always been my fav. Never had issues. Driving a 10 year old Ford that has only had one issue aside from regular maintenance in all it's life. Can't wait for my Tesla though... But it's not replacing my Ford, will replace my newer VW piece of.... :)

If Tesla wins money from the lawsuit, I think they will take $14,000 off the final price of the car so we don't even have to submit a form for a rebate.
I think they will contact everyone who cancelled due to no rebate and let them know they can still order the car, $14,000 cheaper, even the AWD option. That explains why those who cancelled had to enter a reason a why before they got their deposit back.
I also really think I'll win the lottery one day. I'm not sure which of these scenarios has better odds.

Canada launches review of auto emissions

Barriers to electric car sales in Canada include affordability and availability. These issues are expected to be addressed by the federal government’s national electric car strategy expected before the end of the year.

That would be big news for us. It would suck for anyone buying a Tesla after July 11th 2018 or any other EV after Sept. 11th 2018 and the time any new program would start. These programs are never retroactive.

That would be big news for us. It would suck for anyone buying a Tesla after July 11th 2018 or any other EV after Sept. 11th 2018 and the time any new program would start. These programs are never retroactive.

Not hard to give a tax credit to people who've purchased an EV within the fiscal year and lost $14000 incentive due to draconian environmental and ideolotical politics.

Last edited:
No hard to give a tax credit to people who've purchased an EV within the fiscal year and lost $14000 incentive due to draconian environmental and ideolotical politics.

Any changes will have to be in the 2019 or later budget. I think at best they could apply to Jan 1 2019 and on. This is Canada, I don't see a tax credit but do see a HST exception and/or a rebate. Hopefully it will be for EV's under $50,000.00 as that is the part of the market that needs to be encouraged to increase mass EV adoption.

No hard to give a tax credit to people who've purchased an EV within the fiscal year and lost $14000 incentive due to draconian environmental and ideolotical politics.

You might want to mention that if commenting on the discussion paper on the mid-term evaluation of the Passenger Automobile and Light Truck Greenhouse Gas Emission Regulations.

I know there's a lawsuit in place but what is Tesla trying to get? An apology? Of course they do not like their loss in sales (cancelled orders) so the logical thing would be trying to get those sales back. If they win, and I understand it's just an if, would it give those cancelled orders opportunity to order and be eligible to apply for the incentive? Just taking a shot in the dark, not sure if there are facts in place.

I think they are looking for a lot more than an apology.

If a favorable court decision plays out, I would imagine Tesla being in a position to negotiate a successful outcome for us with the Ontario government though there could also be an appeal.

I'm sure Tesla would much rather choose the reinstatement of the rebate for their vehicles (while using damages as leverage) but in addition, could ask for an extension of the time frame by adding to Sept 10th, the number of days between the decision and June 29 for those affected (including those who took possession). Or just take it to the end of the year. So if that was tomorrow, add 54 days and you end up with October 15th. I can only presume that whatever they negotiated would be related to their ability to actually put vehicles in people's hands.

Of course what would be amazing - getting the 14k rebate on top of no tax if it overlapped with anything the feds roll out.

Then again, that might be flame bait :)

I know there's a lawsuit in place but what is Tesla trying to get? An apology? Of course they do not like their loss in sales (cancelled orders) so the logical thing would be trying to get those sales back. If they win, and I understand it's just an if, would it give those cancelled orders opportunity to order and be eligible to apply for the incentive? Just taking a shot in the dark, not sure if there are facts in place.

The lawsuit was pretty clear they are looking to be treated the same as every other car manufacturer. That is, the rebate should be available to Tesla purchases delivered until Sep 10th.

The lawsuit was pretty clear they are looking to be treated the same as every other car manufacturer. That is, the rebate should be available to Tesla purchases delivered until Sep 10th.

That's excellent news for those who didn't cancel and who are still in limbo but there's no guarantee they will win nor is there any guarantee customers will see anything from this. :(

I hope to hear from Tesla soon.

I think they are looking for a lot more than an apology.

If a favorable court decision plays out, I would imagine Tesla being in a position to negotiate a successful outcome for us with the Ontario government though there could also be an appeal.

I'm sure Tesla would much rather choose the reinstatement of the rebate for their vehicles (while using damages as leverage) but in addition, could ask for an extension of the time frame by adding to Sept 10th, the number of days between the decision and June 29 for those affected (including those who took possession). Or just take it to the end of the year. So if that was tomorrow, add 54 days and you end up with October 15th. I can only presume that whatever they negotiated would be related to their ability to actually put vehicles in people's hands.

Of course what would be amazing - getting the 14k rebate on top of no tax if it overlapped with anything the feds roll out.

Then again, that might be flame bait :)

I think the best case would be any Model 3 RWD ordered before July 11th, delivered by Sept 11th and on the list of eligible cars sent in by Tesla before July 16th. Even that would be a far stretch that is unlikely to happen.

Reactions: Kikkoman
We have no info from Tesla on what their plans are - what their timelines are - and how this would work if they won a lawsuit.
We are 2.5 weeks from Sept 10
Seems very unlikely to prevent any cancellations on Tesla's part unless they let potential owners (who have ordered before July 11th and still have not cancelled) know what is going on
the only way I see Tesla coming out ahead is if they win and they re-instate all the sales that we cancelled after July 11 announcement retroactively...