Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[25] There are approximately 600 customers in Ontario who had placed orders for Tesla Model 3 vehicles with Tesla Motors Canada ULC dealerships as at July 11, 2018. There were 34 unallocated vehicles on Tesla dealership lots at that time. While the government relies on Tesla’s website to say that Tesla cannot deliver its cars in time, Tesla has adduced evidence that there are 256 vehicles currently on their way to Ontario by train and 63 more that are currently headed here by truck.

Page: 15 [60]

As discussed above, if cabinet’s goal is to protect small to mid-sized dealerships from the risk of loss if customers cancel orders and if the dealers are left with cars on their lots or on order and if they cannot sell the cars to others or return those cars to the manufacturers for refunds, then including franchised dealers and effectively excluding Tesla from the transition is no answer. Including franchised dealers is grossly over-inclusive as it catches all dealerships other than Tesla whether they are huge businesses or small. Including all franchised businesses does nothing to determine if: a. any customer of a dealership cancelled an order; b. if an order was cancelled, whether the dealer could sell the car anyway; c. if an order was cancelled and the dealer could not sell the car, whether the dealer could cancel the order with the manufacturer; and d. if an order was cancelled and the dealer could not sell the car or cancel the order, whether the dealer could return the car to the manufacturer or otherwise deal with the manufacturer to protect the dealer in some other way (such as adjusting its incentives, rebates, and the like). That is, the discretionary decision to limit the transition to franchised dealers is not at all related to either protecting small to mid-sized dealers or to protecting dealers who may suffer losses to manufacturers. All it seems to do is to include in the transition all dealerships in Ontario who had eligible cars on their lots or on order except Tesla.

5 This conclusion is buoyed by the evolution of the program terms from the initial public announcement that included all dealers, to the letter to Tesla including only franchised dealers, to the affidavit filed herein that includes only “independently - owned” franchises. The evolution of the program terms propounded by the Minister lays bare the targeting of Tesla.

Page: 15 [60]

As discussed above, if cabinet’s goal is to protect small to mid-sized dealerships from the risk of loss if customers cancel orders and if the dealers are left with cars on their lots or on order and if they cannot sell the cars to others or return those cars to the manufacturers for refunds, then including franchised dealers and effectively excluding Tesla from the transition is no answer. Including franchised dealers is grossly over-inclusive as it catches all dealerships other than Tesla whether they are huge businesses or small. Including all franchised businesses does nothing to determine if: a. any customer of a dealership cancelled an order; b. if an order was cancelled, whether the dealer could sell the car anyway; c. if an order was cancelled and the dealer could not sell the car, whether the dealer could cancel the order with the manufacturer; and d. if an order was cancelled and the dealer could not sell the car or cancel the order, whether the dealer could return the car to the manufacturer or otherwise deal with the manufacturer to protect the dealer in some other way (such as adjusting its incentives, rebates, and the like). That is, the discretionary decision to limit the transition to franchised dealers is not at all related to either protecting small to mid-sized dealers or to protecting dealers who may suffer losses to manufacturers. All it seems to do is to include in the transition all dealerships in Ontario who had eligible cars on their lots or on order except Tesla.

5 This conclusion is buoyed by the evolution of the program terms from the initial public announcement that included all dealers, to the letter to Tesla including only franchised dealers, to the affidavit filed herein that includes only “independently - owned” franchises. The evolution of the program terms propounded by the Minister lays bare the targeting of Tesla.

Is there a link to the full pdf?

So my cancellation didnt go through...and I was just on the phone with Tesla. They offered me a date of Sept 7th delivery.
Thoughts? Worth the risk?

Not sure what other thoughts you're looking for as we've discussed all the potential outcomes and we won't have certainty until the government lays out the new phase out policy. You should confirm with your adviser if you're able to cancel (with full refund) right up until delivery. That will buy you some time to see what the government has to say. Your only chance to get the car with the $14k rebate is to go ahead with the order. Otherwise you forfeit any chance at the $14k and you wait until a federal program is implemented down the road.

Reactions: Iggy663
So my cancellation didnt go through...and I was just on the phone with Tesla. They offered me a date of Sept 7th delivery.
Thoughts? Worth the risk?
If you are willing to buy the car regardless of the rebate than you should take the risk. If not, like myself, you should cancel because by not taking the car, you're not losing the $14k rebate.

How did you get a rep?

The "Lead Delivery Advisor" for Toronto reached out to me last week indicating that my car would be here soon and that I should start getting the money and insurance together. I filled out the delivery information on my account and called them today to find out the exact date of delivery and VIN for my insurance. They told me the car is in transit and will be at my preferred dealer Wednesday. They setup a delivery appointment for me on Thursday to pick it up.

Tesla-lawsuit-outcome-quote.jpg

Bumper sticker slogans might work during a campaign, but they cannot substitute for legitimate policy.

“The court’s ruling casts doubt on the ability of this government to put its ideology aside and act with fairness and integrity for the people of Ontario,” said the Green Party of Ontario spokesperson, Stacey Danckert.

“The wind-down plan for EV rebates unfairly targeted people who used the program to purchase Teslas. It seemed mean-spirited and unnecessary at the time, and now the courts have agreed,” said Danckert.

In its first weeks in power, the PC government ripped up energy contracts and cancelled climate action with a swath of anti-business legislation. The Ontario Chamber of Commerce, Business Council of Canada and many on Bay Street all warned of the chilling effect these moves would have on investor confidence.

“Since taking office, the government has been closing Ontario off from the $7 trillion cleantech economy. The court’s ruling might bolster the efforts of other groups unfairly targeted by Ford’s anti-business and anti-environment actions,” said Danckert.

The people of Ontario are footing the legal costs of defending Ford’s back-of-the-napkin ideas. The chaos created this summer has led to lawsuits from parents, the City of Toronto, the cleantech sector, and most recently people who lost their guaranteed basic income.

“This government has only been in power for two months, and yet it’s already difficult to keep track of all of the different groups suing it for unlawful behaviour” said Danckert.