Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG-20180831-WA0001.jpg
A friend of mine snapped this from his model 3 this morning on the DVP. Tesla is moving cars in! I hope ever one gets their rebate.

just spoke with Tesla for confirmation. If you cancelled you do not get the rebated car.

Background - Annujaan Karunanithy at inside sales told me in July I HAD TO either cancel or commit to the purchase. As I couldn't do it without the rebate I had to cancel. Annujaan said he needed a commitment one way or the other and I could not simply wait it out.

Today, Tesla Corporate was very clear: anyone who cancelled cannot be "uncancelled - their pre-July 11 order is gone"

So if you ordered pre July11 and didn't cancel you should be fine if your car is here on time. If you cancelled it's over.

Annujaan said he needed a commitment one way or the other and I could not simply wait it out.
They needed to demonstrate harm which means actual cancellations, IMO.

Tesla said it had 600 active customer orders when the government ended the program in July. At the time, the company had 34 unallocated vehicles on its lots plus 319 in transit on trains and trucks. The company said 175 customers had cancelled their orders since the program ended.
Ontario's PC government does U-turn, expands electric vehicle rebates for Tesla buyers | CBC News

Nice picture for everyone with vin’s.

Tesla also changed my delivery window from 4-8 weeks to Aug- Oct. my original delivery should have been no later than Aug 18th.

The lawyers better be working on a way to extend the date by 7 weeks. This is the time frame that all other manufacturers had till now.

Again, arbitrarily cancel it for Tesla then include them at the very end. Seem hardly fair to me.

This buck a beer is hard to swallow.

Nice picture for everyone with vin’s.

Tesla also changed my delivery window from 4-8 weeks to Aug- Oct. my original delivery should have been no later than Aug 18th.

The lawyers better be working on a way to extend the date by 7 weeks. This is the time frame that all other manufacturers had till now.

Again, arbitrarily cancel it for Tesla then include them at the very end. Seem hardly fair to me.

This buck a beer is hard to swallow.
I agree. Seems classless to add Tesla consumers right before the due date and announce it Friday afternoon before a long weekend. Extend it for the length of time we have been excluded. Thanks for the fairness Dougie.

They needed to demonstrate harm which means actual cancellations, IMO.

Ontario's PC government does U-turn, expands electric vehicle rebates for Tesla buyers | CBC News

Harm in this case depends on which side of the fence you sit... Due to the PC's cancelling the rebate on the M3 and some Ontarians not getting their EV with rebate = a summer of mental anguish ("oh think of the children and the future of the air they breathe!"), harming the air we breathe with micro PM particles ("I have COPD and I can't stand the smell of exhaust" [true story]).

I leave it to the creative lawyers to figure this out (p.s. This is perhaps why I'm not a lawyer - Better Call Saul!)

The buck a beer is saying we harm everyday Ontarian by proxy due to a Carbon Tax enacted by the previously government that many of us didn't even vote for. #buckabeerlogic###

Last edited:
Same here and I hope that the blue one is mine. But ths is is exactly 1% of all of the orders that need to be filled.

Based on what I've read, I recall somewhere around 600 orders were impacted by the abrupt rebate cancellation, since then 175 or so cancelled and 315 orders were pending as of the court proceedings. Which means approx. 110 were probably delivered over the last couple months.

Based on others' posts some people don't seem to have a VIN assigned, which means it's more than likely that only 200 or so cars are coming in prior to the Sept 10th date but that's just a logical guess.

Notes: above numbers are all approx. and based on last couple day of readings

Based on what I've read, I recall somewhere around 600 orders were impacted by the abrupt rebate cancellation, since then 175 or so cancelled and 315 orders were pending as of the court proceedings. Which means approx. 110 were probably delivered over the last couple months.

Based on others' posts some people don't seem to have a VIN assigned, which means it's more than likely that only 200 or so cars are coming in prior to the Sept 10th date but that's just a logical guess.

Notes: above numbers are all approx. and based on last couple day of readings

I think you're right based on what I've read. I am one of those without a vin. Called today and they didn't have one for me and said that they dont alter delivery or prioritize. Disappointing.

If it drops below $280,00 I will be back in. I have some cash in my account from selling at $320.00 back in early June.
I believe that demand position will not last long. Capacity problems will not be an issues very soon.
The problem will be once they get thru the AWD and P orders it will be tough to sell that many per week unless they build the SR base models with little or no profit. They already have lots full of unsold LR PUP RWD models.

The sedan market sucks right now for all car makers. If it was a small SUV it might be a different story.
The PC's were elected by the people of Ontario to make the rules and change them as they want. They could of just cancelled the program outright. They decided to help the dealers who were caught in the middle. Looks like they are well within law.
That "case" will get tossed out very quickly. Everything the Ford government did is within it's rights. A rebate program is not guaranteed to anyone and they are free to change it as they see fit. Tesla was the one who decided to do direct sales. Any other automaker doing direct sales is also be excluded from the wind down program.

Although I disagree with the program being cancelled (I think it should of been scaled back and the cap lowered again to $50.000). I did not vote for the PC's but totally respect Ford's right to govern as the elected party.
Well that pretty much guaranties any future programs will exclude Tesla. Don't bite the hand that may one day feed you.
Any bets on how long it takes for this frivolous lawsuit to be thrown out of court?
Don't worry I am sure they will be very well aware of the invalid Tesla applications that may be submitted.
AWD was never part of the program. There is no way the Ford government is going to go back and change it for Tesla owners AWD or FWD. The program cancellation wording was done for a reason. Calculated and legal.
That would be your opinion. The Honourable Minister is free to set policy as the elected government was given a strong mandate to do.

Last edited:
So, for those of you who previously cancelled and won't get your RWD by Sept 10th there is a very minor glimmer of hope:

Tesla will be included in rebate program wind-down after court defeat: Ontario

From the article:

"For customers who cancelled their orders as a result of the government's initial decision and now wish to renew, we hope the government will work with us to achieve a fair resolution," a company spokesperson said.

Now, IMHO this won't go anywhere as the govt won't be playing nice after getting their ass handed to them in court. Plus I do believe opening up the deadline may even cause other auto companies who couldn't deliver by the 10th to complaint they should get an extension too....not saying I agree, just that I predict this is what would will happen .

But, I didn't think the first court action would work, so I'm not batting 1,000 by any means :)

Also, it's at least apparent that Tesla is not done fighting this ;)

Last edited: