Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've reached out to more people than I care to recall at this point but have nothing to offer. This includes Tesla media contact and 2 others at Tesla (Fremont). Hopefully something breaks one way or another this week as the final nail in this entire debacle. Feel free to make your own inquiries and report back for anyone that cancelled.

I think it's highly likely any communication they have will be internal (them and the province of Ontario), and if external, through their legal team. Communicating with us in an uncertain environment like this only muddies the water, it accomplishes nothing.

Anyone who had to cancel, I'd say wait 3 months if you can and see what shakes out. That's the only way to know how this is going to go down.

For the people who purchased before July 11th and had to cancel, anyone considering going to small claims court?

I cancelled and will not consider going to small claims because 1) I am not out of pocket anything so I don't think I will have success (Tesla was out of pocket which is why they were successful) and 2) I would have no idea what I'm doing trying to take it to small claims.

Reactions: adaptabl
Holy Crapola Batman.
Thinking Mr. F might want to consult a constitutional attorney before bowling down that lane...
Pretty sure it's meant to be used for things that are just a teensy bit more important to the greater population of a jurisdiction.
Give a crazy person the keys to the car, this is where you get to go!

He's not listening to anyone, he's learned from trump. Get whatever it is you think the ppl want, push it through, justice be damned. Push hard till the courts/populace put you in your place. His thing has always been he was elected despite a hostile party establishment, so now he's listening to no-one except himself and a couple advisors. He's telling everyone what to do. He may be a buffoon, but he's not lacking in confidence.

Thank God the Canadian populace is more educated & enlightened than parts of America. It won't take us half the time it'll take our American cousins to put him in his place. Trumpism can succeed when you're dealing with a huge mass of zombies, but not here.

I think it's highly likely any communication they have will be internal (them and the province of Ontario), and if external, through their legal team. Communicating with us in an uncertain environment like this only muddies the water, it accomplishes nothing.

Anyone who had to cancel, I'd say wait 3 months if you can and see what shakes out. That's the only way to know how this is going to go down.

Response from Tesla Executive Support:

"I am unaware of any further interaction between Tesla and the MTO. Further, Tesla is not providing incentives for customers who may have been affected by the MTO’s tax incentives or changes thereof."

I think the only other thing that could possibly be considered is a small claims court action.

Otherwise, wait to see if the 2019 federal budget (typically Feb or early March) has anything in it. Though sometimes specific aspects of it are leaked ahead of time. Someone might want to inquire with their MP as to whether they thought anything might happen there. I've had no luck generating any responses on this from an entire cast of characters. This may only amount to a reduction of the GST though so less than 10% what the EHVIP incentive was though probably no limit on models it could be applied to.

Reactions: Amandeep
Correcting myself, if a GST rebate was offered at some point, that would amount to just under 30% of what the EHVIP incentive would have provided had you been allowed to apply that towards an AWD M3. A full tax rebate would be just over 10k.

Will be interesting to see 2018 quarterly sales figures for Ontario when they are posted in January and how Q4 fared in comparison.

Hi Everyone.. happy to report that I picked up my tesla this morning at Oakville. There were a few minor scuffs, but overall was in excellent shape. The car drives like an iphone on wheels - in other words, awesome.

The tesla DA did not give me the signed copies of my contract, he said they would be uploaded to my account. I can see it in my account but the agreement is not signed. Is this an issue? Also, as I understand, we only need to send the first 4 pages?

I was able to take delivery of my LR red PUP Car today. Had a little mixup with some paperwork but came back 3hrs later and signed everything.

They were very busy. 30 plus cars going out today(Oakville).

Anyways, it was hard to look over every detail as due to the weather. Asked to bring car inside but it was to wet to inspect the paint. Said that if there was anything that I noticed they would be happy to correct.

Very slow drive home tonight but I didn’t care. Still giddy from the ride.

I really hope that they were able to deliver all the customers that didn’t cancel their order.

I also wish all others the best at some resolution for canceling.

Lastly, for now, thanks to all for the support, research, and commitment to being treated fairly. Still an expensive car but the 14k really helps getting it within my budget.

Thanks again to all

Picked up ours tonight also in Oakville.
Trim on passenger door lifted out.
Wipers / controls suck (drove home in rain)
Side mirrors pretty poor.
Rear visibility not great either.
Car looks, handles, power - amazing !

I can so see how a performance model and awd would be awesome on this platform also - and probably glad I never drove one!

Reactions: felixculpas
My inspection lasted a while and I still find minor issues... apparently they do inspect before delivery but didn't fix all of them...look what I found while going through my car with my DA

Attachments

• 34D0C2DD-74A2-49D9-B118-775A2204F42C.jpeg
    34D0C2DD-74A2-49D9-B118-775A2204F42C.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 54
Does anyone know if the sales agreement is not signed whether this will impact the rebate application? The application says it needs to be signed. When I download mine, its all blank.
View attachment 333901

I wouldn't submit it unsigned. They can reject it for not being complete. I would get it signed tomorrow and have them date it as of the day you picked up the car (today). I doubt they will have an issue doing that.

Reactions: adaptabl