Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taxing the big polluters just increases prices which eventually get passed on to the end user as "cost of doing business". Taxes and emission targets must go hand in hand to reduce GHG and energy consumption.

Digging up, refining, transporting oil and gas contributes to GHGs. But the bulk of GHGs are actually other human activities like animal farming (separate but related topic in terms of climate change).

But like felix said earlier - any reduction is better than none. Starting with the way we move people and goods around is a good angle as everyone has to go from Point A to B - having the dialogue and questioning the status quo of fossil fuels at the policy level is fundamental to change. Until something is made legal/illegal (pot vs smoking in public - for example); behavior will not change - especially huge corporations that is raking in the $$ by pushing their harmful products on the masses.

Sugar is a great example; every major industry who does harm now employs the same tactics. Sow confusion and carry on with business as usual until the world burns. Lets see what the next 30 years hold (cynic out - smirk*).

I'm just going to out a limb and ask any charter rights lawyers here of these possible scenarios as I enjoy thinking and discussing such things.

Scenario 1 - ONPCs create Bill whatever # and says all pending rebates under Cap and Trade funds will be suspended due to it's not for the people; tacks on NWC to the end of the bill = All EV rebates not processed is now marked void and the Ontario Government owes EV purchasers nothing. > Question, can they do that with the NWC?

Scenario 2 - ONPCs create a Bill saying all people with last name Booodongle were unfairly treated by XYZ organization and entitled to all of the Cap and Trade funds under Bill # 123210-83, tacks on NWCs on this and calls it a day's good work. > Question, can they do this also with the NWC?

Seems like a final FU button that's way too overpowered at the moment.

Final question > Can the Federal Government step in with their own NWCs and override the province(s) NWC? Can't the original NWCs created by the province(s) be worded to say no level of government can interfere with this NWC? Where does it end?

Final question > Can the Federal Government step in with their own NWCs and override the province(s) NWC? Can't the original NWCs created by the province(s) be worded to say no level of government can interfere with this NWC? Where does it end?

Trudeau Can't Block Ford's Use Of Notwithstanding Clause, Experts Say

"Forget that," University of Toronto professor Nelson Wiseman told HuffPost Canada in an interview. "I'm not even sure it's technically possible. You'd have a major constitutional crisis."

Disallowance is what's known as a "spent power." Spent powers are technically on the books, but they're so old they cannot be used. A federal government last used disallowance in 1943.

"It's like thinking that the Governor General can decide she wants to appoint you the next prime minister and dismisses Justin Trudeau," Wiseman said. "The constitution says she can do that, can't she? But would anybody stand for it?"

• Informative
Reactions: champion1955
Trudeau Can't Block Ford's Use Of Notwithstanding Clause, Experts Say

"Forget that," University of Toronto professor Nelson Wiseman told HuffPost Canada in an interview. "I'm not even sure it's technically possible. You'd have a major constitutional crisis."

Disallowance is what's known as a "spent power." Spent powers are technically on the books, but they're so old they cannot be used. A federal government last used disallowance in 1943.

"It's like thinking that the Governor General can decide she wants to appoint you the next prime minister and dismisses Justin Trudeau," Wiseman said. "The constitution says she can do that, can't she? But would anybody stand for it?"

So now we have a alleged drug dealer tyrant running our province and the financial service heart of the country with no checks and balances to hold him accountable until four more years? Aweeeeesooome. . .

So now we have a alleged drug dealer tyrant running our province and the financial service heart of the country with no checks and balances to hold him accountable until four more years? Aweeeeesooome. . .
Hmmm as opposed to a ex-school teacher with nothing better than a famous last name running our country into the ground.... he has a lot better hair than me!

Intergovernmental Affairs Min. Dominic LeBlanc says there won't be any wiggle room on the imposition of a federal price on carbon on Jan. 1, 2019 if provinces/territories don't have their own plans in place.

Meanwhile, every Canadian unknowingly gives $100 a year to big oil and that’s before the Trudeau government blew $4.5 billion on the Trans Mountain pipeline.

“These subsidies are in fundamental conflict with Canada’s commitment to the Paris climate agreement,” says study co-author Yanick Touchette.

While the federal liberals might be in a tight spot these days, after what's happened in Ontario, I'll be thinking twice before voting PC. Ever. Again.

Intergovernmental Affairs Min. Dominic LeBlanc says there won't be any wiggle room on the imposition of a federal price on carbon on Jan. 1, 2019 if provinces/territories don't have their own plans in place.

Meanwhile, every Canadian unknowingly gives $100 a year to big oil and that’s before the Trudeau government blew $4.5 billion on the Trans Mountain pipeline.

“These subsidies are in fundamental conflict with Canada’s commitment to the Paris climate agreement,” says study co-author Yanick Touchette.

While the federal liberals might be in a tight spot these days, after what's happened in Ontario, I'll be thinking twice before voting PC. Ever. Again.

I have to admit I was all Ford. Didn't get around to voting but was rooting for him. In the last few months I have learned so much from all of you and been exposed to how much of a baffoon he is and I am embarrassed to say how wrong I was. He wants change... Fine... But he's going about it all wrong. The thing that totally turned my head and left me with my jaw dropped was him using the notwithstanding clause. It's like a child who didn't get his way and decided to have a tantrum and bully others. Hope the legal system keeps fighting this ridiculous excuse we have for a leader. He's more of a child bullying people. Can't wait until his reign is over... And Trump. How did North America get so screwed up so quickly. I thought we were smart?

80 Canadian law professors pen open letter to Premier Doug Ford on the notwithstanding clause: "You are not simply invoking the notwithstanding clause to pass a law–you are challenging the core principles underlying our constitutional democracy."

Only in the Last Resort Letter to Premier Ford re s33.pdf
So now that the PCs aren't using the notwithstanding clause I wonder if anyone that was upset feels any better now?

• Funny
Reactions: RAM_Eh
So now that the PCs aren't using the notwithstanding clause I wonder if anyone that was upset feels any better now?

Twitter:
John Michael McGrath‏ @jm_mcgrath 16m16 minutes ago

1. Belobaba's decision was always unlikely to survive review, it broke with too much precedent.
2. The *government's* explicit precedent is now that no Ontarian has any local democratic right the Legislature is obligated to respect.

I have to admit I was all Ford. Didn't get around to voting but was rooting for him. In the last few months I have learned so much from all of you and been exposed to how much of a baffoon he is and I am embarrassed to say how wrong I was. He wants change... Fine... But he's going about it all wrong. The thing that totally turned my head and left me with my jaw dropped was him using the notwithstanding clause. It's like a child who didn't get his way and decided to have a tantrum and bully others. Hope the legal system keeps fighting this ridiculous excuse we have for a leader. He's more of a child bullying people. Can't wait until his reign is over... And Trump. How did North America get so screwed up so quickly. I thought we were smart?

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised at Ford's behaviour. This was how he acted as a city councillor, as the apologist for his brother and as a candidate for mayor. Everyone who's familiar with Deco and the business he's in has known for years that he was an incompetent and unethical blowhard.

I was very much against the Wynne government, but the PCs could simply have picked Christine Elliot and we'd have a competent, reasonable adult running the Province.

Prof. Tricia Wood‏ @pkbwood 1h1 hour ago

Bill 5/31 is reckless because it's a political experiment to cut the local government of the country's largest city, a city of 3 million people--based on no data, no comparator, and no study whatsoever.

You forgot two key points --
1/ Doesn't have the support of the people in the city at all.
2/ Wasn't campaigned on at all.

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised at Ford's behaviour. This was how he acted as a city councillor, as the apologist for his brother and as a candidate for mayor. Everyone who's familiar with Deco and the business he's in has known for years that he was an incompetent and unethical blowhard.

I was very much against the Wynne government, but the PCs could simply have picked Christine Elliot and we'd have a competent, reasonable adult running the Province.
100% agree
Ford was my (distant) 3rd choice for PC leader.