Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice to see some have received their rebate. I submitted for rebate on June 10th, 2018. I emailed OMF yesterday to check the status of the rebate and surprisingly they returned my email in a couple of hours (see below). Unsurprisingly they are pushing the refund date out. Although I gave my specific info including VIN#, it appears the response received was simply a standard issue reply. I would expect all those that qualify will receive their rebate by March 31st, 2019. Cheers. I'll post back in this thread once I receive it.

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding your EHVIP application.

Each application is reviewed for completeness and compliance. The Ministry is working very hard and making best efforts to complete application processing by the end of the fiscal year (March 31st).

Thank you for your patience.

Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EHVIP)
Ontario Ministry of Finance
Accounts Management & Collections Branch
Regional Tax Administration Program Delivery

After just over seven months, finally, received my $14,000CAD rebate from Ontario for EV rebate on my M3. Whoopee!! Best purchase I ever made.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
On another note, Tesla car buyers aren't the actual people the Ontario government's so called "orderly wind down" of the EHVIP ended up screwing over. The last couple pages here shows that people buying from other dealers have been having problems getting their rebates, with many being denied for not being on the Ministry order list that dealers were supposed to send in by July 16, that many people did not even know about until after the date had passed, smh.

Today's Toronto Star article regarding the denied Rebates for other EVs

Electric car buyers still fighting for rebates | The Star
The last sentence of the article - My advice: Don’t make a big-ticket investment based on government subsidies alone. Do it because it makes sense for you, even without the incentive.

Easy for her to say but $14k makes a HUGE difference on that decision.

I guess there is no discrimination after all. Ford Nation wants to screw every EV buyers, not just Tesla buyers. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
The last sentence of the article - My advice: Don’t make a big-ticket investment based on government subsidies alone. Do it because it makes sense for you, even without the incentive.

I guess there is no discrimination after all. Ford Nation wants to screw every EV buyers, not just Tesla buyers. :rolleyes:

Ford... built ford tough years ahead :D:p (sorry, couldn't resist).

I received a warning letter yesterday indicating I have to keep the car registered in my name and plated for 1 year or pay back the rebate. They said they do audits regularly. Funny it is 7 months after I bought the car. Only 5 months to go. HAHAHA

One important note is DON'T get into an accident within a year whereby your car is totalled. If you do, you will loss your rebate as you haven't keep the car for one year. It happens to other people. So DRIVE SAFE. :)

Reactions: adaptabl

I'm so glad that we buy DIRECT from Tesla, we didn't get a run around. Tesla tell us because the government cancel the program, you can cancel the order and get a full refund, in fact, you don't have to make a decision right away, you can cancel when we tell you your car is ready for delivery. Who else do that.

After we cancel, we get an email from Tesla saying we now are qualified for rebate if we re-order, here is the steps, by the way, you can still cancel before delivery. I double and triple confirmed with them I can get the rebate, and it's a affirmative YES.

>>Do it because it makes sense for you, even without the incentive. <<
This kind of comment is crazy, we should ask her if her car is $14,000 more would she still buy it? It got nothing to do with whether you can afford it, it is more like whether it's worth it if the rebate is not there.

The problem is, unlike Tesla, VW Canada (just as an example) won't go to court for the Ontario buyers because EV is not their major source of income, it may actually be a expense. They want to sell ICE.

I'm so glad that we buy DIRECT from Tesla, we didn't get a run around. Tesla tell us because the government cancel the program, you can cancel the order and get a full refund, in fact, you don't have to make a decision right away, you can cancel when we tell you your car is ready for delivery. Who else do that.

After we cancel, we get an email from Tesla saying we now are qualified for rebate if we re-order, here is the steps, by the way, you can still cancel before delivery. I double and triple confirmed with them I can get the rebate, and it's a affirmative YES.

>>Do it because it makes sense for you, even without the incentive. <<
This kind of comment is crazy, we should ask her if her car is $14,000 more would she still buy it? It got nothing to do with whether you can afford it, it is more like whether it's worth it if the rebate is not there.

The problem is, unlike Tesla, VW Canada (just as an example) won't go to court for the Ontario buyers because EV is not their major source of income, it may actually be a expense. They want to sell ICE.
VW Canada already sold the car to the dealerships so they don't give a s*** anymore... This just to show how the dealership model should be a thing of the past. I remember the experience I had with a particular Kia dealership where I was being pressured by like 4 guys in a room during a deal. I honestly hated that experience and decided that I will try everything to buy my next car without going through a dealership. Sure enough, it happened with my model 3 which was pretty amazing!

Last edited:
Anyone else get this unnecessary threatening letter recently from the Ford government?

Scan.jpg

Last edited: