TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Ontario EVIP rebates update

Discussion in 'Canada' started by rpm001, Oct 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rpm001

rpm001 Member

Took delivery of my S75D on June 10 2017. Submitted the EVIP rebate forms on June 12. I still haven't received my rebate, so I called the EVIP folks. They said they're still working through mid-April right now, so expect it will be another couple of months. That equates to roughly a 6 month wait... Just thought I'd share.

• Informative x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  2. Shaz

Shaz Member

Thanks for the info. Were you able to confirm with them whether they received your application?
    I had Tesla Lawrence SC submit it for me, though I am not sure whether they actually did or if it's still sitting in their office...kinda kicking myself now for now submitting it on my own..

3. rpm001

rpm001 Member

Yes, I was able to confirm. I was worried about the same thing! :)

• Helpful x 1
  4. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

I see that they haven't gotten any faster since I did it 3.5 years ago.

5. wayner

wayner Active Member

Imagine how it will be when Model 3s start shipping in real volume! But that might not be until about 2020 ;)

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

But as I mentioned, a lot slower than 4.5 years ago when my rebate took a whole 2 weeks to get to me.

7. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Note : Tesla may not be doing as well by purchasers as some dealers (not defending dealers, just FYI). When I bought my Smart ED in 2013, Mercedes gave credit for the rebate immediately on the purchase, and they followed up to claim the rebate. I didn't wait or do anything. Hoping this will be the case in a month when my new Smart ED is expected to arrive in Ontario.

8. Rogerroger60

Rogerroger60 Member

If conservatives or NdP win next election next year than the rebate will go

9. sitter_k

sitter_k Member

I'm Willing to pay full price.

10. SmartElectric

Ontario rebate may go, sure, but likely supplanted by a Federal EV incentive of some kind...if the Liberals actually follow up on their election promise.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes, dealers can apply the rebate at the point of sale,or do as Tesla does. Would be nice if they applied it at the time of sale because you wouldn't have to finance as much up front.

• Like x 1
  12. 11thIndian

11thIndian Member

I'm still waiting on the rebate for my A3 e-tron from May. Last I heard from someone they were processing applications for early April.

13. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

My GM dealer gave me the rebate right off the purchase price last year. Even back in 2015 I had to wait months for the rebate on buying our Model S. Definitely better to have the dealer do it.

14. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

The Ontario government must have a single person working on the rebates. At the rate they're going, is it possible that those who purchased with the rebate in mind can potentially lose the rebate if it takes until 2018 to process (or there's yet another Liberal change of heart)?

15. wayner

wayner Active Member

You're right - it is ridiculously slow. There are only about 600 EVs (BEV+PHEV) sold in Ontario each month or about 30 for every business day. How many people hours does it take to process 30 forms? Assuming that you could process 5 forms in an hour that would mean that one person could do this in six hours.

16. SmartElectric

FYI

My Mercedes/Samrt dealer phoned 10 minutes ago, my Smart ED has arrived in Toronto, yah!
    But they told me explicitly they will not apply for the rebate on my behalf, it's my responsibility, boo!
    But they are looking into a lease option which would force them to apply for the rebate, so I just pay a lease payment, yay!

• Like x 3
  17. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Yeah, but it's a government position, so you forgot the mandatory coffee breaks, smoke breaks, lunch breaks, the union meetings, and of course the bathroom breaks. That 30 forms is a week's worth of work then.

• Like x 1
  18. sakimano

sakimano Member

no, it's not possible. Your delinquency is not just cause for excusing yourself from your obligations under an agreement.

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

What they're not saying is, they don't apply for the rebate on your behalf because the government is a hassle to deal with and (probably more importantly) they take forever to pay.

• Informative x 1
  20. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Someone finally got off their coffee break - I just received the rebate. Car was delivered on May 5th, the paperwork processed by Tesla - roughly 5.5 months to complete.