Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EVIP rebates update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of rebates, PC party has officially announced their intention to scrap the Climate Change Action Plan and by extension EV rebates if elected. Had a feeling they were going to do this

Not good if the intention is to help adoption along

Recommended Policy Resolutions
Here is the quote:

R35. PC Party policy is to cancel the Liberal slush fund known as the Climate Change Action Plan, dismantle cap-and-trade, and withdraw from the Western Climate Initiative (WCI), and to return 100% of revenues from Trudeau’s Federal carbon pricing benchmark to taxpayers as verified by the Auditor General (Sponsored by the Environment PAC with input from the Eglinton-Lawrence and London West Ontario PC Riding Associations).

They also want to get rid of the Drive Clean emissions testings.

Drive Clean is pretty much worthless at this point. They don’t do “testing”. They just ask the car’s engine controller if it thinks everything is working properly. If it says “yes” they take it’s word for it.

Agree. In fact I think the gov't has tried to scrap it for a while now but got push-back from the private sector shops that administer the program. They complained that scrapping the program wouldn't let them earn back the initial capital expenditures they made setting up their shops to do the testing, or something like that.

So you are keeping us in suspense - did your car pass the test?

So when I picked up my car new in early March 2013, it just had plain old blue number plates on it. My delivery guy said something like they were "out of" green plates and that if I ever wanted them and there was some sort of fee, Tesla would pay it.

I didn't care because I rarely, if ever want or need to use HOV lanes and that was the only benefit as far as I knew.

But SO MANY people bugged me with questions about why I didn't have green plates that after about 2 years I decided to go in to a Service Ontario and get them swapped out.

I spent over an hour at the counter with the clerk, her Supervisor and the MTO on the phone trying to get the system to issue the green plates to no avail. Finally I asked them to grab my old blue plates out of the trash and I'd be on my way. That's when they said that because the car was set up in their system as a gasoline powered car, it was going to come up (eventually) for a Drive Clean Test and that a "Fail" or "No Test" would mean they couldn't renew my annual sticker!

Then it got even weirder: They said the only way to fix it was to get an original signed letter from the manufacturer (not a dealer) attesting that the car was electric. It had to be an original letter with an original signed-in-ink signature and could not even be a scan or a FAX. They could barely look me in the eye telling me this.

So I reached out to Tesla and they emailed me a scanned letter and told me to "trace over" the signature in ink so that it "looked original". By this point, I was pretty fed up and finally Tesla agreed if I brought my car in to Lawrence, they would "take care of it". I sat and drank their coffee for an hour or so, and when the guy came back with my car, it had green plates on it.

Turns out that there were a bunch of cars where Tesla set up the VIN data incorrectly in the MTO's system when the cars were brought in to Ontario. I know of one guy who's Model S was set up as a Roadster in the system. At least it's electric and won't come up for a Drive Clean test!

At least my car, with its GVAH-series plates looks newer than if it had the GVAA-series I would have got back in early 2013!

Great story Mike! Your car has newer plates than my P85D which delivered in Jan 2015 with GVAF plates. It would be nice if they would give us vanity plates in Green, but maybe they like the "failsafe" aspect of green coloured lettering plus a green-only number scheme - ie starting with GV.

So you are keeping us in suspense - did your car pass the test? Regarding the plates - that was the same thing with Roadster owners I believe.

Nope. My Roadster was good to go from day one. In fact I have the very first green vehicle plate ever registered in Ontario - GVAA 001. It's on my 100D now.

IMG_6250.JPG

My friend's Bolt have green plate in Ontario starting with VG... So it's not always GV..

Not quite - it's bilingual.

GV - Green Vehicle

VE - Vehicle Electrique

Got my $500.00 rebate check yesterday for installing my 40 amp charger in April. May have been slightly complicated because when I got my Model S I had a garage built and the Tesla charger installed. Also knew that we would get another ev in the future so I had the electrician install a NEMA14-50 plug as well. So when we got our Chevy Volt I bought a 40 amp SunCountry Highway plug in charger and applied for the rebate, with a letter explaining why I was not getting a new inspection and just enclosing the old one. I had given up on getting the rebate, so this was a pleasant Xmas surprise.