Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EVIP rebates update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope your rebate comes faster than mine...
I picked up my Model S on Sept 30
Rebate was approved Jan 3
I was told yesterday that it takes 3 weeks to issue the payment and 3 more weeks for it to reach your direct deposit account.....and they have already missed the target for issuing the rebate!
Another example of Ontario government inefficiency.
I picked up mine on the same day as you and I haven't heard from them at all. Were you notified by email when your rebate was approved?

Hey - I dug around on the ontario website but couldn't find a number to call in to check on the status of my rebate. Like many of you, I bought Sept 30th. Just want to make sure its still in the queue. All I found was [email protected]
The FAQs give a contact number for the Ministry of Finance. That's who I called - ask for the EV Rebate program.
  1. Who do I contact if I have a question?
    Please contact the Ministry of Finance at:
    Phone: 1 (866) 668-8297
I'm still waiting for the rebate, in spite of my application being approved on Jan 3.

Just curious, Tesla does not deduct the rebate amount directly from the payment and you guys need apply for it your self (wait couple of month before getting the check)?

When I pick up my Nissan Leaf, the rebate amount is directly deducted from my payment. I don't need fill any paper work but only signature on my application form.

Just curious, Tesla does not deduct the rebate amount directly from the payment and you guys need apply for it your self (wait couple of month before getting the check)?

When I pick up my Nissan Leaf, the rebate amount is directly deducted from my payment. I don't need fill any paper work but only signature on my application form.
Tesla submits the paperwork on our behalf, but we have to wait - in my case 5 months - for the rebate.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
They are definitely getting a lot faster. I submitted my EVIP application by email on Jan 17, 2018, and they transferred the funds into my account just over a month later (Feb 21, 2018).

Kind of weird though: they didn't send me an email confirming that my application had been approved, so it was a nice surprise to see an extra $14,000 in my account when I logged in today :)

Got today, took delivery on Dec 5, 2017

I submitted my rebate for charger as well at the same time, but still not received yet.

Yesterday I spoke to a person at the Ontario Ministry of Finance regarding the EVSE rebate, specifically the wording used in section E5 of the "Confirmation of Eligibility" and it's effects on the stipulation that the ESA inspection certificate can only be a maximum of 90 days old.

The wording indicates "past tense" regarding the EV rebate prior to application for the EVSE rebate:

Capture.PNG

The ministry person was insistent that I could not apply for the EVSE rebate until I had the EV rebate "cash in hand".

The ESA inspection must happen within 90 days of applying for the EVSE rebate as well as one must have the EV rebate cheque cashed.

YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
How finance going to work then? Ppl finance means the couldn’t pay that many cash upfront, will they pay those 14K or also finance it?
if someone can't afford the extra $14k in financing, they don't get the car. Simple as that, and I'm not going to shed any tears for them. If someone's finances are so *sugar* that an extra $14k on a 4 year car loan means they don't qualify, they shouldn't be buying the frigging car.

Why is everyone so entitled. Another case is people are doing everything they can to dodge the new mortgage rules...you know, the rules in place to prevent people from getting stretched in debt to buy a house that could see its value drop 20-30%...or that could see their mortgage renew at much higher rates.

Nobody heard of having a financial buffer in place?

• Love
Update to the Ontario EVSE rebate program:

One no longer needs an actual EV rebate under their belt.

They only need to own and/or be leasing an EV (as listed in the Ontario Ministry of Finance "list of approved EVs") and have purchased the EVSE within 90 days of applying for the EVSE rebate.

Electric vehicle charging incentive program
that's so annoying..that change happened literally 3 days after my 90 days ran out.

• Informative