Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EVIP rebates update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if someone can't afford the extra $14k in financing, they don't get the car. Simple as that, and I'm not going to shed any tears for them. If someone's finances are so *sugar* that an extra $14k on a 4 year car loan means they don't qualify, they shouldn't be buying the frigging car.

Why is everyone so entitled. Another case is people are doing everything they can to dodge the new mortgage rules...you know, the rules in place to prevent people from getting stretched in debt to buy a house that could see its value drop 20-30%...or that could see their mortgage renew at much higher rates.

Nobody heard of having a financial buffer in place?

I hear this argument often and it is very short sighted. The most I am comfortable paying for a car is $x. If a $14k rebate brings the price of car below $x, then I will buy it. If it the price of the car with the rebate remains above $x, then I will not buy it.

In my situation, the $14k rebate on the base model brings the final price of the car below my $x. Therefore I will not buy any options and I will not buy the car if I don't get the rebate.

This has nothing to do with buffer, this has nothing to do with financial management, this has nothing to do with entitlement, this has nothing to do with loan qualification. This is simply a matter of the rebate reducing the price of the car to a point where I am comfortable paying it.

Please stop throwing this argument around and making poor assumptions about others' financial decisions.

if someone can't afford the extra $14k in financing, they don't get the car. Simple as that, and I'm not going to shed any tears for them. If someone's finances are so *sugar* that an extra $14k on a 4 year car loan means they don't qualify, they shouldn't be buying the frigging car.
I can afford a fully loaded M3 without the rebate. I won’t buy one, though. If the rebate is gone, I’ll stick with an SR. Why? Because it’s not about “affording” for many of us, it’s about how much money we can justify for the purchase given what it will offer us and the various other things we want to spend money on.

“Opportunity Cost” is a real thing.

I can afford a fully loaded M3 without the rebate. I won’t buy one, though. If the rebate is gone, I’ll stick with an SR. Why? Because it’s not about “affording” for many of us, it’s about how much money we can justify for the purchase given what it will offer us and the various other things we want to spend money on.

“Opportunity Cost” is a real thing.
Not sure why you're replying to me, you're talking about something different.

I referred to people who don't qualify for financing the whole car rather than financing the car - $14k. The person I replied to seemed to indicate this system of reimbursement rather than discounting was unfair a sit could cause someone to not qualify. I suggested if someone can't qualify for financing unless the price is discounted by $14k , thats the world's way of saying 'you probably shouldn't buy this car' .

Not sure why you're replying to me, you're talking about something different.

I referred to people who don't qualify for financing the whole car rather than financing the car - $14k. The person I replied to seemed to indicate this system of reimbursement rather than discounting was unfair a sit could cause someone to not qualify. I suggested if someone can't qualify for financing unless the price is discounted by $14k , thats the world's way of saying 'you probably shouldn't buy this car' .
I see. I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification, and I agree with you.

I hear this argument often and it is very short sighted. The most I am comfortable paying for a car is $x. If a $14k rebate brings the price of car below $x, then I will buy it. If it the price of the car with the rebate remains above $x, then I will not buy it.

In my situation, the $14k rebate on the base model brings the final price of the car below my $x. Therefore I will not buy any options and I will not buy the car if I don't get the rebate.

This has nothing to do with buffer, this has nothing to do with financial management, this has nothing to do with entitlement, this has nothing to do with loan qualification. This is simply a matter of the rebate reducing the price of the car to a point where I am comfortable paying it.

Please stop throwing this argument around and making poor assumptions about others' financial decisions.
no, if you read the post I replied to you'd see it has everything to do with those things lol

he was saying what happens to people financing...you're now stuck financing a more expensive car than you thought and you have to wait for a rebate cheque in the mail. I'm not saying someone not buying the car at $75k instead of $61k is some loser. I'm saying if someone can't qualify to finance a $75k car that they thought they only had to qualify at $61k, perhaps they shouldn't be buying this car.

Reality is when your rebate comes in you just pay down the loan.

See? You didn't read the screen. Important element in internet arguing. But nice rant :)

• Informative
Reactions: akidesir
Just noticed on canadian Tesla's order page on the Loan option tab there is now a phrase under the Down Payment amount:
"Eligible for $11,700 Ontario EV incentive" (see the screenshot).
However, I can't find any information about this incentive.

Does anybody know what it is?

Attachments

• 11700_Ontario_EV.jpg
    11700_Ontario_EV.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Just noticed on canadian Tesla's order page on the Loan option tab there is now a phrase under the Down Payment amount:
"Eligible for $11,700 Ontario EV incentive" (see the screenshot).
However, I can't find any information about this incentive.

Does anybody know what it is?

Interesting find. I just checked and it shows an $11,000 rebate for me for the Model S. Same $11,700 for the Model X

BbZIFdL.png

no, if you read the post I replied to you'd see it has everything to do with those things lol

he was saying what happens to people financing...you're now stuck financing a more expensive car than you thought and you have to wait for a rebate cheque in the mail. I'm not saying someone not buying the car at $75k instead of $61k is some loser. I'm saying if someone can't qualify to finance a $75k car that they thought they only had to qualify at $61k, perhaps they shouldn't be buying this car.

Reality is when your rebate comes in you just pay down the loan.

See? You didn't read the screen. Important element in internet arguing. But nice rant :)

My apologies; it appears that I didn't pick up that your post was specifically referring to the APPROVAL from a financial institution rather than just an affording basis.

My rant still stands as I have seen that point of view expressed multiple times on this forum. It appears to have been misdirected at your comment though as I don't refer to the approval process.

Yeah, but it's a government position, so you forgot the mandatory coffee breaks, smoke breaks, lunch breaks, the union meetings, and of course the bathroom breaks. That 30 forms is a week's worth of work then.

Don't forget that we they don't actually work on Friday's. They might be in the building, but nothing ever really gets done on Fridays.

Trying to fill out the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive form, but it will not open on a Mac, got the latest version of Adobe reader but when I try to open "0177E.pdf" it tells me I need reader 8 or higher.
Anyone else have this problem?
Happens to me all the time. Download it first then open it and it should work. I had the same problem with CRA forms on my iMac and this process worked. Good luck.