Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EVIP rebates update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure there are instructions to stall it out until their lawyers can find some loop hole to deny the payout. If they're okay with pulling money from the working poor with the minimum income pilot when they "promised" it won't get axed; halving welfare increases to match inflation - Payouts for "Millionaire elites" on a program they "mandated" to cancel is high priority for this backwards government.

Why we will have to wait a long time to get our rebates........
What we know... Q1 2018 there were 2244 eligible vehicles sold in Ontario (389 non eligible S, X, Porches, I8 & 740E). In Q2 estimates are 4808 eligible vehicles sold in Ontario. I don't think there were a lot sold between July 1 and 11, either way we have enough for a couple of calculations.

Total Jan 1 - Jun 30 2018 = 7052 eligible vehicles. Assuming rebate office has 3 staff working on rebates (probably plus 1 supervisor and 1 admin), and assuming each staff working of rebates can process 1 per hour (who knows how motivated they are now!), that means that they can process 24 (3 x 8) per day x 5 days a week =120 per week or 58.7 weeks to process all applications. I applied on June 22nd. If I receive my before July 2019 I will be pleasantly surprised. I was going to subtract vacation and sick time from the calculation but I think I have depressed you enough already.
You forgot to add the assumption that it's government and has to go multiple chains of approval. That is an unknown variable. LOL

Update:
Submission Date: April 24th 2018
Rebate Payment Date: August 15th 2018.

So about 4 months.

Rebate Application Submission Date: April 24th 2018
Rebate Payment Date: still waiting.

I’ve followed up twice(don’t want to bug them too much), application has been received, still working on older applications I’m told.

Just noticed that the Model 3 isn't even listed as an eligible vehicle on the MTO website anymore... wonder what that means.. Hope it doesn't affect those of us who've already submitted, and I wonder why it was removed?

upload_2018-8-23_16-10-21.png

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Just noticed that the Model 3 isn't even listed as an eligible vehicle on the MTO website anymore... wonder what that means.. Hope it doesn't affect those of us who've already submitted, and I wonder why it was removed?

View attachment 328247

No way, did the PC's do what I think they're trying to do :)? LOL!

EDIT: Just checked with a quick google. Your screenshot is an old one :)

Kind of fun to see how even the incentives were flawed. 28kW (200km) battery vs 75kW battery (500km) is the same rebate.

Eligible Electric Vehicles

I wouldn't say that's flawed as such. The goal of the program is to get ppl into EV's. The fact that a M3 is better and more expensive than a more utility type EV like the Hyundai Iconiq imo doesn't mean the M3 should get more. The goal is to get ppl into EV's, not the best EV, thereby changing their behaviour. Societal behaviour is the hardest thing to change...

Reactions: darkenergy
Well, I didn't complete my thought - The flaw representation of the entire program in the media and general public - likely created by big oil to quash emission standards.

The wind down language was to exclude Tesla while okay'ing all these inferior tech/vehicles imho. I check the 2018 Honda Clarity out cause it ironically popped up on a banner here in the forum.

The MSRP was close to 53K CAD before taxes to match what the M3SR with EAP would be. It's a no brainer the SR w/ EAP or even PUP is the better car - yet the same incentive. I agree that the program is(was*) great for getting people into cleaner vehicles, too bad it was short lived. PHEV are nice if you have a short commute and if it allows for full electric driving. So as a transition between ICE and BEV, I guess there's merit in that design. But still, with the available option of a M3 vs Clarity... I don't regret my choice.

My question is... Did PHEV / Hybrid sales increase during the program or was the Model 3 the blip? Even with the incentive, the Honda Clarity would still come close to 50K CAD after taxes in Ontario... Not a far stretch to 70K for M3 LR with the bells and whistles.

My question is... Did PHEV / Hybrid sales increase during the program or was the Model 3 the blip? Even with the incentive, the Honda Clarity would still come close to 50K CAD after taxes in Ontario... Not a far stretch to 70K for M3 LR with the bells and whistles.

Despite not receiving delivery until nearly the final month of Q2-2018, the Tesla Model 3 ‘rocketed’ to the most sold EV with 2,785, this is the most successful EV model introduction ever. Maintaining second-place for BEV models, recent model introduction, the Nissan Leaf increased to 1,808 unit sales. The Chevrolet BOLT dropped from first to third place for BEV models with 808 unit sales. Following in order were the Kia SOUL EV, Hyundai IONIQ, Tesla Model X, Model S, VW e-Golf, Ford Focus EV and Smart FORTWO.

Q2 2018 Canada:

To what degree did the introduction of the Tesla Model 3 drive Q2 sales?
Of course, the Tesla Model 3 contributed to a surge in EV sales this quarter. The car contributed to 19% of all EV sales across the Country. If we subtract those sales from the total, as if the Model 3 never happened and ignore that some consumers would have purchased other vehicles instead, we get the following. We still would have hit an all-time high for EV sales in a single quarter, albeit 19% lower (give or take a few bolts, and Model S’s). Instead of seeing a 214% increase compared to Q2 of 2017, Q2 of 2018 would have only seen an increase of 154% Nationally.