Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EVIP rebates update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tomorrow is the last day to submit comments on vehicle emissions to:

[email protected]

I'm sure the more people they hear from the better. Tell them about how you were incentivized to purchase a BEV and how we need to adopt a strict emissions policy such as California’s light-duty GHG standards.

Canada begins consultations on vehicle emission standards - Canada.ca

Emails to Ms McKenna's listed email. Here's my two cents worth of words:

- - -

Hello Ms McKenna,

My name is Jack, and I was one of the "lucky" people who got to purchase an EV (specifically) Tesla Model 3 this past summer with the aid of the Ontario's EV incentive. I'm not a millionaire; just a young professional born in the early 1980's and have witnessed the vast technological change that has of the past three decades. I'm a first generation Canadian; my parents came here as refugees escaping the Chinese government's abuse of human rights. My parents weren't allowed to pursue higher education in their youth; instead were forced to farm or work overnight shifts in dirty factories. They came to Canada because was a beacon of freedom of expression, justice, and opportunity to thrive.

One thing that’s evident is how much snow there was growing up, and it would stay on the ground the entire winter. Now we have this cycle of freeze and thaw. The world is warming - any government that won't own up to that and enact green energy and pollution reduction policies deserve to be forgotten and relegated to the back benches.

I believe most Canadians and many millennials care for the environment and social justice. We need to do our part of creating a future Canada that is and will be that beacon of hope for the rest of the world to emulate. Take the lead - show the world that green policies that are sustainable and encourage innovation and create high tech and well-paid jobs. Skilled people want clean air, clean water, and high quality of life - provide such an environment through well planned and thoughtful policies will ensure a prosperous Canada for years to come.

It is in my hope that the Federal Government step up where others have failed. Local governments that have been lobbied to regress to the encourage fossil fuel consumption. The EV incentive in Ontario had a tremendous impact on helping middle-income families adopt the vehicles that reduce air pollution and create a healthy community for their kids. How do I know this? Well, for every 1 litre of gasoline, 2.3kg of CO2 is created! My 2017 Honda Civic at 6.1L/100km = 13.8kg of CO2 a day on my average commute. Scaled up to every car in Toronto and the amount of GHG pollution is astronomical - there are better solutions. EVs and better mass transit planning would put a dent into this mass of harmful gasses. Don't get me started on animal farming (that's another topic).

Ms McKenna, please help and propose a National Program to reduce GHGs and aid my fellow Canadians to change their mode of travel. The excuse of battery technology or energy infrastructure is no longer a valid case. The future is ever approaching along with devastating environmental challenges caused by climate change. We as a country can take the lead and thrive or fall behind and get trampled by good old mother nature via epic storms and polluted air. Do the right thing, not the easy thing.

Best regards,

Jack

Emails to Ms McKenna's listed email. Here's my two cents worth of words:

- - -

Hello Ms McKenna,

My name is Jack, and I was one of the "lucky" people who got to purchase an EV (specifically) Tesla Model 3 this past summer with the aid of the Ontario's EV incentive. I'm not a millionaire; just a young professional born in the early 1980's and have witnessed the vast technological change that has of the past three decades. I'm a first generation Canadian; my parents came here as refugees escaping the Chinese government's abuse of human rights. My parents weren't allowed to pursue higher education in their youth; instead were forced to farm or work overnight shifts in dirty factories. They came to Canada because was a beacon of freedom of expression, justice, and opportunity to thrive.

One thing that’s evident is how much snow there was growing up, and it would stay on the ground the entire winter. Now we have this cycle of freeze and thaw. The world is warming - any government that won't own up to that and enact green energy and pollution reduction policies deserve to be forgotten and relegated to the back benches.

I believe most Canadians and many millennials care for the environment and social justice. We need to do our part of creating a future Canada that is and will be that beacon of hope for the rest of the world to emulate. Take the lead - show the world that green policies that are sustainable and encourage innovation and create high tech and well-paid jobs. Skilled people want clean air, clean water, and high quality of life - provide such an environment through well planned and thoughtful policies will ensure a prosperous Canada for years to come.

It is in my hope that the Federal Government step up where others have failed. Local governments that have been lobbied to regress to the encourage fossil fuel consumption. The EV incentive in Ontario had a tremendous impact on helping middle-income families adopt the vehicles that reduce air pollution and create a healthy community for their kids. How do I know this? Well, for every 1 litre of gasoline, 2.3kg of CO2 is created! My 2017 Honda Civic at 6.1L/100km = 13.8kg of CO2 a day on my average commute. Scaled up to every car in Toronto and the amount of GHG pollution is astronomical - there are better solutions. EVs and better mass transit planning would put a dent into this mass of harmful gasses. Don't get me started on animal farming (that's another topic).

Ms McKenna, please help and propose a National Program to reduce GHGs and aid my fellow Canadians to change their mode of travel. The excuse of battery technology or energy infrastructure is no longer a valid case. The future is ever approaching along with devastating environmental challenges caused by climate change. We as a country can take the lead and thrive or fall behind and get trampled by good old mother nature via epic storms and polluted air. Do the right thing, not the easy thing.

Best regards,

Jack

Nicely stated Jack...You can also add to the stats that annually the oil and gas industry gets around $5.3 trillion in subsidies (that's $168,000 PER SECOND...wow....). That's also more than the entire world spends on healthcare in a single year.

Now, lets look at Ontario EVs and assume EVERY EV got a $14k rebate (not true since in the early days the rebate was $8k, and many EVs did not qualify for the full $14k...my 2017 volt only qualified for $12k/$14k...but I digress....). So, I've seen licence plates down to GVBR-XXX to date, so lets assume that is 34,000 EVs on the road. That's 34,000 * $14k = $476 million over 8 years spent on EVs (and that's a huge over estimate as per my comments above).....

476 million / 5.3 trillion = 0.0000892, or 0.0089%......so in 8 years, even the largest over estimate of what Ontario has spent on EV incentives is 0.009% of what is spent PER YEAR on oil and gas incentives worldwide.....seems like a fair and totally unbiased system, doesn't it? o_Oo_Oo_O

I got my M3 on the first day of deliveries on May 11 and they have started processing my claim. Unfortunately, my documents were incomplete so I think I got bumped back a little as I have to search for the right ones and resubmit. :-(

At least the clerk from MOF replies quick to e-mails now that he is processing my claim.

That is comforting to hear that they are on May 11th.

Reactions: navguy12
I got my M3 on the first day of deliveries on May 11 and they have started processing my claim. Unfortunately, my documents were incomplete so I think I got bumped back a little as I have to search for the right ones and resubmit. :-(

At least the clerk from MOF replies quick to e-mails now that he is processing my claim.

Nice to know that they don’t categorically throw out your application just because it’s incomplete. Out of curiosity, what document(s) were you missing?

Nice to know that they don’t categorically throw out your application just because it’s incomplete. Out of curiosity, what document(s) were you missing?
The docs posted on my account are incomplete. “Final Price Sheet” and “N.V.I.S.” are missing. My buddy who got the car in June has those pages online.

I found the missing pages in an email from my DA so I'm submitting those.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Here's what I had:

The docs posted on my account are incomplete. “Final Price Sheet” and “N.V.I.S.” are missing. My buddy who got the car in June has those pages online.

I found the missing pages in an email from my DA so I'm submitting those.

Thanks for the info.

The NVIS was not included in my MVPA hard copy package I received at delivery, which is what I submitted in my rebate application as it was signed by Tesla. When I check MyTesla today I see it there, last page.

That's annoying, because section F of the rebate application doesn't mention anything about including the NVIS specifically.

Thanks for the info.

The NVIS was not included in my MVPA hard copy package I received at delivery, which is what I submitted in my rebate application as it was signed by Tesla. When I check MyTesla today I see it there, last page.

That's annoying, because section F of the rebate application doesn't mention anything about including the NVIS specifically.

That Analyst that's processing my claim is quick. He got my missing docs this morning and already replied that it is what he needs and will complete my claim today! Whoo hoo!

Same here, just checked it out as well.

The rebate process indicated if we didn't hear from the ministry by the next business day, then one was to assume that they had all the forms that they needed........

Reactions: 03DSG