Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EVIP rebates update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An interesting post was written by someone in the "Tesla Owners Club of Ontario" Facebook group today. I can't link to it but I've attached a screenshot. This individual was told that the MTO only be issuing rebates after they "evaluate each person's tax return to ensure they do not owe the government money". He was under the impression this meant the rebates wouldn't be received for another few months.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.36.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.36.20 PM.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 73
An interesting post was written by someone in the "Tesla Owners Club of Ontario" Facebook group today. I can't link to it but I've attached a screenshot. This individual was told that the MTO only be issuing rebates after they "evaluate each person's tax return to ensure they do not owe the government money". He was under the impression this meant the rebates wouldn't be received for another few months.
If this tax info check before payment is correct, it is concerning. Why are they making a new internal rule. So BS. Please file a complaint and make more noise.

If this tax info check before payment is correct, it is concerning. Why are they making a new internal rule. So BS. Please file a complaint and make more noise.

I don't get this - are they now working with a Federal Department (CRA) on a Provincial matter? It's hard to believe there is this level of correspondence between the Provincial and Federal departments. Often times, the left hand does not talk to the right within their own Provincial ministries let alone an entirely different level of Government, especially with something as minor as the EVIP.

The delay is likely attributed to the IMO stupid decision to shift things over (last minute) to an entirely new Ministry. There is training involved, vacations, etc..Its likely another short sighted management decision.

I don't get this - are they now working with a Federal Department (CRA) on a Provincial matter? It's hard to believe there is this level of correspondence between the Provincial and Federal departments. Often times, the left hand does not talk to the right within their own Provincial ministries let alone an entirely different level of Government, especially with something as minor as the EVIP.

The delay is likely attributed to the IMO stupid decision to shift things over (last minute) to an entirely new Ministry. There is training involved, vacations, etc..Its likely another short sighted management decision.
Agreed. Makes no sense to transfer staff program to a different ministry last minute. Definitely a factor in slowing things down.

I don't see how that's legally enforceable. It would have to have been included in the rules of the program when people applied.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Just an update. The Ontario obudsman (department?) actually called me back and they collected all the information that I had and are making inquiries. The response back was welcoming as they actually were unaware of this issue and were surprised that it's taken so long (7 months).

I mentioned that I was part of a larger group of people that are all in the same boat, and that this isn't a individual issue. I told him about trickling out money for chargers (approximately 1000 dollars) so that they could keep the larger sum for interest (assumption).

He mentioned that if more people are having this issue to encourage them to also file a complaint as more complaints about the same issue will flag this as a more urgent matter.

Please fill out the form here: Make a Complaint - Ontario Ombudsman

Hopefully this kicks the tires a bit and we get our money back. As I'm sure some of us are slowly bleeding from loans on this 14K.
Just an update. The Ontario obudsman (department?) actually called me back and they collected all the information that I had and are making inquiries. The response back was welcoming as they actually were unaware of this issue and were surprised that it's taken so long (7 months).

I mentioned that I was part of a larger group of people that are all in the same boat, and that this isn't a individual issue. I told him about trickling out money for chargers (approximately 1000 dollars) so that they could keep the larger sum for interest (assumption).

He mentioned that if more people are having this issue to encourage them to also file a complaint as more complaints about the same issue will flag this as a more urgent matter.

Please fill out the form here: Make a Complaint - Ontario Ombudsman

Hopefully this kicks the tires a bit and we get our money back. As I'm sure some of us are slowly bleeding from loans on this 14K.

Thanks Flexbomb for pursuing this.
Delivery June 6th, EVIP submission June 7th. Nothing received as of yet.
Complaint sent to Ontario Ombudsman and standard ``thank you for your complaint was received.
I suggest everyone follow suit and send in a complaint. There is strength in numbers.

Reactions: Flexbomb
It certainly is. Why would the gov't pay you out if you're in arrears?

It just sets them up for potential lawsuits. I have not read the fine print at all, I am not a lawyer, however - if you are in arrears with the Federal Government, what impact does this have on a Provincial Incentive? If you have met the inventive requirements as stated out in the application then you are entitled to the rebate.

Furthermore - if previous recipients of the rebate were NOT subjected to this check, then it could be filed as discriminatory to the ones who have not yet received the rebate.

This is why I do not believe that assertion, I could be wrong I just don't think its likely

• Disagree
It just sets them up for potential lawsuits. I have not read the fine print at all, I am not a lawyer, however - if you are in arrears with the Federal Government, what impact does this have on a Provincial Incentive? If you have met the inventive requirements as stated out in the application then you are entitled to the rebate.

Furthermore - if previous recipients of the rebate were NOT subjected to this check, then it could be filed as discriminatory to the ones who have not yet received the rebate.

This is why I do not believe that assertion, I could be wrong I just don't think its likely

It will probably be in the Tax collection fine print. It actually makes sense for them to check your tax status first. If you owe them money, they can deduct it from your incentive. Mind you, it will be a batch process. They have a list, just need to cross reference with tax collection and it won't take much time.

This is what I got:

Thank you for your inquiry. I can confirm that the Ministry has your EHVIP application. Please note the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EHVIP) has experienced significant uptake that have impacted application processing and payment timelines. We are dealing with a large volume of applications. Applications are processed on a first come first serve basis and each application is reviewed for completeness and compliance; only complete, compliant applicants can be processed and approved for payment. The Ministry will contact you if your application is missing information.

Regards,
Jackie

EHVIP Team

This is what I got:

Thank you for your inquiry. I can confirm that the Ministry has your EHVIP application. Please note the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EHVIP) has experienced significant uptake that have impacted application processing and payment timelines. We are dealing with a large volume of applications. Applications are processed on a first come first serve basis and each application is reviewed for completeness and compliance; only complete, compliant applicants can be processed and approved for payment. The Ministry will contact you if your application is missing information.

Regards,
Jackie

EHVIP Team

If you just received your email, I don't think the person who is responding is being 100% transparent. We know other forum members who submitted at the end of May and beginning of June received their rebates at the beginning of December. It has been a month since that time and no one on the forum who submitted after that time has reported receiving the rebate.

If the person who responded to you is being honest, what have they been doing for the last 30+ days?

Funny I got an email this morning asking to resend the email I sent on the 4th, so sent a screenshot. I think they lost my application during the shift to MTO. When asked for an status update to what's going on no response. Hopefully I am wrong and it's being worked on but seems like it to me. First asked what date I sent it, then asked did I get a confirmation, then was told it had been processed in Oct and money should be coming Nov and if nothing by then call them back. Called back was told no way of checking status just that all will be processed end of March. Now this nonsense...