Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EVIP rebates update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info. Were you able to confirm with them whether they received your application?
I had Tesla Lawrence SC submit it for me, though I am not sure whether they actually did or if it's still sitting in their office...kinda kicking myself now for now submitting it on my own..

Thanks for the info. Were you able to confirm with them whether they received your application?
I had Tesla Lawrence SC submit it for me, though I am not sure whether they actually did or if it's still sitting in their office...kinda kicking myself now for now submitting it on my own..

Yes, I was able to confirm. I was worried about the same thing! :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Shaz
Note : Tesla may not be doing as well by purchasers as some dealers (not defending dealers, just FYI). When I bought my Smart ED in 2013, Mercedes gave credit for the rebate immediately on the purchase, and they followed up to claim the rebate. I didn't wait or do anything. Hoping this will be the case in a month when my new Smart ED is expected to arrive in Ontario.

When I bought my Smart ED in 2013, Mercedes gave credit for the rebate immediately on the purchase, and they followed up to claim the rebate. I didn't wait or do anything. Hoping this will be the case in a month when my new Smart ED is expected to arrive in Ontario.

Yes, dealers can apply the rebate at the point of sale,or do as Tesla does. Would be nice if they applied it at the time of sale because you wouldn't have to finance as much up front.

Reactions: Jaff
The Ontario government must have a single person working on the rebates. At the rate they're going, is it possible that those who purchased with the rebate in mind can potentially lose the rebate if it takes until 2018 to process (or there's yet another Liberal change of heart)?
You're right - it is ridiculously slow. There are only about 600 EVs (BEV+PHEV) sold in Ontario each month or about 30 for every business day. How many people hours does it take to process 30 forms? Assuming that you could process 5 forms in an hour that would mean that one person could do this in six hours.

You're right - it is ridiculously slow. There are only about 600 EVs (BEV+PHEV) sold in Ontario each month or about 30 for every business day. How many people hours does it take to process 30 forms? Assuming that you could process 5 forms in an hour that would mean that one person could do this in six hours.

Yeah, but it's a government position, so you forgot the mandatory coffee breaks, smoke breaks, lunch breaks, the union meetings, and of course the bathroom breaks. That 30 forms is a week's worth of work then.

Reactions: mrElbe
The Ontario government must have a single person working on the rebates. At the rate they're going, is it possible that those who purchased with the rebate in mind can potentially lose the rebate if it takes until 2018 to process (or there's yet another Liberal change of heart)?
no, it's not possible. Your delinquency is not just cause for excusing yourself from your obligations under an agreement.

FYI

My Mercedes/Samrt dealer phoned 10 minutes ago, my Smart ED has arrived in Toronto, yah!
But they told me explicitly they will not apply for the rebate on my behalf, it's my responsibility, boo!
But they are looking into a lease option which would force them to apply for the rebate, so I just pay a lease payment, yay!

What they're not saying is, they don't apply for the rebate on your behalf because the government is a hassle to deal with and (probably more importantly) they take forever to pay.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe