Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario green plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
doesnt that mean the green plate program will end as well? Not much point in having the, with no benefits. The web page describing them would be pretty bre if not for the HOV lane explanation.

Probably not. They are a kind of "vanity plate" after all. I think a lot of people already get them even if they never come near an HOV lane highway. FWIW, I just have plain old blue numbered plates on my Model S. The reason is that when I picked up my car, the MTO had some sort of mix-up in their system and listed the Model S as a V6 gasoline car, and wouldn't issue it "green" plates. I just never bothered to change them over.

You would get a ticket. Only Ontario EV plates are acceptable. (Same in Quebec for Ontario plates.)

I don't believe there is any HOV access for single-occupancy EVs in Quebec. In November 2013, the transport Ministry was to study if this was feasible for a limited number of highway segments. An update was expected last Spring, but there has been no news for over a year now.

My sources at the MTO tell me the HOV access will end as planned.

Personally, I do not use the HOV lanes when alone because I am concerned about what others may see as a "rich person driving a Tesla" getting another free benefit. I also believe that ICE cars are more efficient and emit less pollutants when operating at speed vs. idling, whereas there is no environmental disadvantage to an EV "idling" in the slow lane.

Two weeks ago I was on the 404 heading into the city during morning rush hour. Cruise set at 114. The pickup behind me was PISSED. He wanted to go 120ish, and the traffic in the other lanes was slower. He illegally passed me and slammed on his brakes to make a point. Gesturing wildly that I should move over. I anticipated his dick behavior so I just slowed down before he hit the brakes. But he obviously thought I was doing something wrong by being in the lane. I had a laugh at his expense, I suppose. I don't feel bad when ignorant fools act like idiots.

One advantage of the green plates is they seem to be better made. The current crop of standard plates are really low quality - the paint starts flaking off after a couple of years. The vanity plates on my Model S ate starting to disintegrate, while the older GVAA 001 plates on my Roadster - the oldest EV plates in existence - are in pristine condition.

The reason is that when I picked up my car, the MTO had some sort of mix-up in their system and listed the Model S as a V6 gasoline car, and wouldn't issue it "green" plates. I just never bothered to change them over.

The saga continues: Last Friday, a Volt owner approached me and asked why I didn't have Green Plates. So many people have asked me this that I decided then and there to head over to the ServiceOntario storefront and get them. Well, I spent about 2 hours with the clerk, her Supervisor and the MTO on the phone and there was no way the computer was going to allow it. I even had to go out and confirm the car's VIN in case it was recorded wrong (it wasn't). Frustrated, I said I'd just stick with the blue plates, but the MTO told me that eventually I'd come up for a Drive Clean test, which they wouldn't be able to do, and they wouldn't be able to renew my tags! They said I would have to get an original, signed letter from the manufacturer (not the dealer) with a bunch of details in order for them to re-register the car. The letter has to be an "original copy" and not a FAX or a scan.

They pulled my blue plates out of the trash, I put them back on my car and left. I went in to Tranmere and spoke to them about this. I need to follow up because it seems that Tesla incorrectly identified the car when it was new and imported into Ontario.

Hmm... have blue vanity plates on my Model S. I wonder if it's also a ticking license time bomb...

Take a look at your green permit form. On the Vehicle Portion side, there is the word "Power" with a single letter typed on to the form. If it is a "G" (for gasoline), you're in trouble. I think it's supposed to be "E" (for electric).

EDIT: I believe it has to do with the Model Name on the registration. Mine says simply "S", but Tesla is saying for the Ontario MTO it needs to be "MSS". That might be another clue.

- - - Updated - - -

did you try switching your car to metric beforehand ;~?

That might be it! :smile:

I got my car in Feb. 2013 and was not able to get green plates at the time. Eventually Tesla got me my green plates (or I went to get them, I can't remember) a month or so later. I wonder what they were able to do that you could not given that our cars are the same vintage?

At least they didn't scrap your plates first then tell you you couldn't drive your car without plates! ugh govt bureaucracy

Seriously. I recall years ago that the plates were stolen off of my mother's car. She called the police who told her she'd have to come in and file a report in person. When she drove over, they almost arrested her for driving without plates! I guess that is somewhat obvious, but she is a senior and they did tell her to come in to the station.

- - - Updated - - -

I got my car in Feb. 2013 and was not able to get green plates at the time. Eventually Tesla got me my green plates (or I went to get them, I can't remember) a month or so later. I wonder what they were able to do that you could not given that our cars are the same vintage?

What I'm hearing is that there were a bunch of early cars registered incorrectly. They did tell me when I picked the car up new that if I came back, they'd fix me up, but I didn't really care one way or the other at the time and never bothered. Fast forward 2+ years and I'm probably the only guy who never went back and had it dealt with (didn't think about the whole Drive Clean thing!).

I've been forwarded a scanned letter from Tesla, but it doesn't have everything the MTO told me to get in writing. Further, they say to write over the signature to make it look original 'cause the MTO is picky about that. I think I'm going to ask them to deal directly with the MTO and let me know when it's done or else at least mail me the original signed letter.

I am also one of the first 2013 model year cars that couldn't get Green plates at the start. As I recall, the problem was the 2013 Tesla Model S had not been registered in the MTO database as an EV, so they did a workaround initially to allow me to plate the vehicle, but I couldn't move the green plates over from my Roadster. After a few weeks, Tesla made a change and re-issued the ownership and I was able to put the green plates onto my Model S. The info on my ownership is as below:
Make: TESL
Model: MSS
CYL: 04 (yes, that's what it says)
Power: V
Body type: 4D

David

I am also one of the first 2013 model year cars that couldn't get Green plates at the start. As I recall, the problem was the 2013 Tesla Model S had not been registered in the MTO database as an EV, so they did a workaround initially to allow me to plate the vehicle, but I couldn't move the green plates over from my Roadster. After a few weeks, Tesla made a change and re-issued the ownership and I was able to put the green plates onto my Model S. The info on my ownership is as below:
Make: TESL
Model: MSS
CYL: 04 (yes, that's what it says)
Power: V
Body type: 4D

Interesting that you and Duckjybe both have P85's but yours is Model MSS and his is Model RDS.

There is apparently someone at the Lawrence Avenue store with experience dealing in this, and I have an appointment next Saturday to get my situation dealt with.

Interesting that you and Duckjybe both have P85's but yours is Model MSS and his is Model RDS.

There is apparently someone at the Lawrence Avenue store with experience dealing in this, and I have an appointment next Saturday to get my situation dealt with.

Please let know what you find out. Hopefully Duckjybe and/or I don't need to change ours too.