Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario green plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always wanted to own a roadster so now I do!

Wow. If anything I would have though @dj905's would have had the RDS "mistake" since he actually had a Roadster that he traded in on the Model S.

EDIT: I wonder if that's how they got you your Green Plates early on. Maybe the Model S was still not registering as an EV so they just used the Roadster designation to get the computer to comply.

Nope...as long as the VIN on your policy is correct...

Jaff, what do the insurance companies actually do with the VIN? Is it just treated as a kind of serial number to identify the car or do they actually perform some sort of lookup with the Ministry of Transportation database. If the latter, and the MOE database showed it as a gasoline car, wouldn't that be a problem?

The link between the MOT database and the insurance companies databases was only established recently...in the last few years...it exits mainly to help the police immediately identify people driving uninsured vehicles, but also can be used as an instrument to help with fraud detection.

Underwriters use the VIN to verify the information about the car to see that it matches the information declared on the application for premium (pricing) determination...it used to be done manually, but is now mostly verified at the time the quote is done...it differentiates models by engine type, trim levels, etc.

The most common use today is by Adjusters... to verify that the vehicle presented to an Adjuster in a claim, is in fact the vehicle insured by the policy in question.

Obviously, it would be important for the MOE to have it's own database correctly to differentiate between gassers and EV's...I really do not know if the MOE shares a database with the MOT though...

Jaff, what do the insurance companies actually do with the VIN? Is it just treated as a kind of serial number to identify the car or do they actually perform some sort of lookup with the Ministry of Transportation database. If the latter, and the MOE database showed it as a gasoline car, wouldn't that be a problem?

Obviously, it would be important for the MOE to have it's own database correctly to differentiate between gassers and EV's...I really do not know if the MOE shares a database with the MOT though...

Oops! I meant MTO when I asked.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla got me set up properly with Green Plates this morning. They actually ran over to the MTO office with my old plates and papers while I waited around the Lawrence Ave. store. My new registration form says:

BRAND - NONE
Make: TESL
Power: V
Model: MSS
Year: 13
Body Type: 4D
Cyl: <blank>

The fellow at Lawrence Ave. told me they are having similar problems again with 2015 models. The MTO database is showing them as gasoline cars.

Oops! I meant MTO when I asked.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla got me set up properly with Green Plates this morning. They actually ran over to the MTO office with my old plates and papers while I waited around the Lawrence Ave. store. My new registration form says:

BRAND - NONE
Make: TESL
Power: V
Model: MSS
Year: 13
Body Type: 4D
Cyl: <blank>

The fellow at Lawrence Ave. told me they are having similar problems again with 2015 models. The MTO database is showing them as gasoline cars.

I'm pleased to hear that Tesla was able to sort it out for you. i'm still wondering what the 4 cylinders are on my ownership certificate ;-)

Doug, Did you , and perhaps others with personalized Blue Plates ever check the ownership to see if the Model and Power is indicated correctly? I would imagine that if I had originally gone with blue personalized plates, I never would have noticed a problem until I got the Drive Clean Due notice!

Make TESL
Model RDS
Year 12
Body Type 4D
Cyl (blank)
Power V
Colour Red
Veh Wt (blank)

RDS? Apparently it's a Roadster?

Yep! It's a 4 door Roadster. Here's my Roadster ownership:

Make TESL
Model RDS
Year 10
Body Type 2D
Cyl (blank)
Power V
Colour Red
Veh Wt (blank)

These days they don't stick a probe in the tail pipe, they simply plug into the OBDII port and ask the car if it passes the emissions test. The Tesla will probably say, "what, huh???" and they will fail it.

That is essentially what I was told when I was at the MTO office last week. With a "Fail" or "No Test" status, they won't be able to renew your annual tag.

With the extention of the green plate use of HOV lanes for another year and the fact that july and august you need 3 people in the car to use the hov, (unless green plate then still 1 occupant)i swapped out my vanity TESLA D plate for green plates yesterday. My wife is working the pan ams and wants sole occupant use of the HOV. I will switch them back in the fall. Nifty upside. I also talked to Service OntArio today and they advised my $8,500 cheque was mailed 2 days ago. I had feared they had mailed it to the teachers union.