Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario green plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if they'll ever come up with Green vanity plates? For that matter, I wonder if Green Plates will eventually be phased out once the HOV access goes away. AFAIK, the HOV access is the only real benefit to the Green Plate.
I think the HOV access is the only benefit - but hopefully the keep extending by a year. And I am looking forward to June 29 as the temporary HOV lanes on the 401 from Warden Ave to Pickering will be of huge benefit to me.

Good site, thanks. So, 401, etc., but not Gardiner, for example or city streets. Makes sense. Given that it's for athletes, frankly I'd feel somewhat guilty using them anyway :)

I actually feel guilty under any circumstance and have not used them yet. The idea of the HOV lane is to reduce congestion. One person in an EV doesn't accomplish that. Further, an EV in stop-and-go traffic has no negative environmental impact whereas an ICE is more efficient and less polluting when cruising at speed so it seems odd to allow single passenger EVs in HOV lanes under any scenario.

I actually feel guilty under any circumstance and have not used them yet. The idea of the HOV lane is to reduce congestion. One person in an EV doesn't accomplish that. Further, an EV in stop-and-go traffic has no negative environmental impact whereas an ICE is more efficient and less polluting when cruising at speed so it seems odd to allow single passenger EVs in HOV lanes under any scenario.

I see your point but here is another perspective. you not driving in the HOV lane actually adds one more car to the already congested non HOV lanes. Having an HOV lane actually increases congestion for the other lanes if the HOV is not utilized as there are only 3 lanes instead of a potential 4. The HOV lane is mostly under utilized so you should use it to reduce congestion in the other lanes.

Also If you looked at the HOV lane from an environmental perspective, like me, then you wouldn't feel as guilty. After all, the sole reason for green plates is to add the environmental component to the HOV lane. The HOV lane should be considered an incentive for reducing the number of polluting cars on the highway through increased carpooling and/or someone replacing an ICE with an EV. It's an incentive for being a good steward and setting a good example. The more EV's people see in the HOV lane the more they will know they are mainstream and be willing to buy one. I think it's important to set a good example.

Unless a secondary objective is to reduce pollution and GHG emissions.

But that's what I'm saying. Let the ICE cars run at a more efficient speed (vs. idling in stop-and-go) and have the EVs in the slower lanes. Pollution and GHG emissions reduced.

- - - Updated - - -

The more EV's people see in the HOV lane the more they will know they are mainstream and be willing to buy one. I think it's important to set a good example.

I do see your points, but I am also concerned about the "there goes another entitled 1 per-center in his expensive Tesla again!" sentiment.

Ok, who can look up this green plate... GVAC 586... (I dont think this was a X-mule)
green-p.jpg

Guy entered 407 at Mavis and proceeded to do around 150km and gone. Does not reflect well upon the rest of the "green" community. Maybe he traded his leaf in and kept the plates :)

Ok, who can look up this green plate... GVAC 586... (I dont think this was a X-mule). Guy entered 407 at Mavis and proceeded to do around 150km and gone. Does not reflect well upon the rest of the "green" community. Maybe he traded his leaf in and kept the plates :)
Sorry, I don't understand the issue. Are you saying that he shouldn't have green plates? The 2015 Cayenne PHEV appears eligible for green plates. It is on the list here.

Realize it's an old thread, however I can confirm from my experience using the HOV on the 403 through Mississauga this morning, that flying solo, in the epitomy of a green production vehicle, without a green plate will result in a $110 ticket. Law is the plate must be a green one. Constable explained that he nails hybrids quite often, however even though he agrees our Tesla is green, the legislation is the plate must be green too. What is the chance our savvy Min of Transportation will ever issue Green Vanity plates. It would most likely cost more to fight the ticket, anyone know if someone has been successful in doing so though?