Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario HOT lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They will...just read this from an email...

Here is the link to the Ont. Gov. website...

News Release

High-Occupancy Toll Lanes Pilot Coming to the QEW in Summer 2016

Newsroom : High-Occupancy Toll Lanes Pilot Coming to the QEW in Summer 2016

HOT lanes will complement other initiatives, such as GO Regional Express Rail that will increase GO Train trips by 50 per cent over the next five years with more stops serving more communities.

As is the case today, carpools of two or more, and vehicles with green license plates, can continue to use the lanes without a permit.

Single occupant drivers using the QEW HOT lanes will use a permit available for purchase. There will be a limited number of permits made available. Further details, including pricing and availability will be announced in spring 2016.
Over the past 13 years, Ontario has been ranked first or second for having the fewest traffic deaths and safest roads among all jurisdictions in North America.
Ontario’s population is expected to grow by approximately 40 per cent by 2041, placing additional importance on having modern infrastructure to support a growing population.

Last edited:
An aside, I do notice the 404 NB / SB green plate allowed signs are mostly gone. Only noticed 1 in NB.
Also, almost pulled over by a cop underneath the HOV 404/401W again. Makes my heart race whenever I go under there.

Yes, it is my understanding that it is extended for the life of this pilot project...

Newsroom : Ontarios Plan for High-Occupancy Toll Lanes

QEW Pilot Project

As part of the HOT lanes pilot project, 16.5 kilometres of the QEW -- in both directions -- from Trafalgar Road in Oakville to Guelph Line in Burlington, will be converted from the current HOV lanes to HOT lanes. This pilot project could last up to four years.

The QEW was selected for the pilot because it has the most free capacity available during peak traffic hours of the three existing HOV lanes on provincial highways in the Greater Toronto Area and would provide benefits in both directions throughout the day.

Highway 427

As the first part of broader HOT lanes implementation, there will be a 15.5 kilometre stretch of dedicated HOT lanes with electronic tolling in both directions on Highway 427, from south of Highway 409 to north of Rutherford Road starting in 2021.

No existing general purpose lanes on provincial highways will be removed for HOT lanes.

Ontario's HOT lanes will be provincially controlled. The Ministry of Transportation is continuing to work with the Ontario Provincial Police to plan enforcement.

Last edited:
Yes, it is my understanding that it is extended for the life of this pilot project...

Newsroom : Ontarios Plan for High-Occupancy Toll Lanes

QEW Pilot Project

As part of the HOT lanes pilot project, 16.5 kilometres of the QEW -- in both directions -- from Trafalgar Road in Oakville to Guelph Line in Burlington, will be converted from the current HOV lanes to HOT lanes. This pilot project could last up to four years.

The QEW was selected for the pilot because it has the most free capacity available during peak traffic hours of the three existing HOV lanes on provincial highways in the Greater Toronto Area and would provide benefits in both directions throughout the day.

Highway 427

As the first part of broader HOT lanes implementation, there will be a 15.5 kilometre stretch of dedicated HOT lanes with electronic tolling in both directions on Highway 427, from south of Highway 409 to north of Rutherford Road starting in 2021.

No existing general purpose lanes on provincial highways will be removed for HOT lanes.

Ontario's HOT lanes will be provincially controlled. The Ministry of Transportation is continuing to work with the Ontario Provincial Police to plan enforcement.

Good catch! I hope it can survive the pilot project too. I don't see HOV too crowded as of nowadays.

I wish the Green plates should only be for electric only vehicles. Hybrids should NOT be allowed to have green plates because they are still gas cars.
Another solution to the HOV lanes is to make ALL the lanes HOV or HOT and dedicate just ONE lane to normal traffic.
Perhaps this and only this will force people with one person in their cars who drive to work with only a laptop and that's it, to take public transportation.
A lot of us carry gear and cannot take the bus or subway for obvious reasons. It would be nice to have less traffic on the road so I can get to my destination faster in my Model S.
Another solution is to widen the Gardiner and DVP to 14 lanes as people will always take their vehicles. With my solution mentioned above, everyone will have to carpool on all the lanes except the one allocated for normal use and this lane could be congested but so what!
For the Gardiner to be widened, the condos built in the last 20 years would have to be torn down and I have no problem with that. They shouldn't have been built in the first place because of the congestion threat on the Gardiner.

It is only Plug in hybrids, not regular hybrids that can get green plates. For example the normal Priuses cannot get green plates, just the plug in Priuses. These cars generally consume very little gas so I really don't have an issue with this.

I wish the Green plates should only be for electric only vehicles. Hybrids should NOT be allowed to have green plates because they are still gas cars.

Actually, Hybrids are not eligible for Green Plates. Only plug-in vehicles can get them (or did you mean plug-in hybrids should be excluded?). Cars like the Volt can run almost exclusively on electricity (many people do) and this significantly reduces gasoline consumption and CO2 emissions. For many needing a longer range vehicle, but who can't afford a Tesla, cars like the Volt can make a meaningful difference. There is enough controversy over the HOT lanes already that we don't need snobbery. I see they're already being referred to in the media as the "Lexus Lanes".