TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ontario HOV access for single passenger EV's expires June 2016

Discussion in 'Canada' started by FourBucks, Mar 28, 2016.

1. FourBucks

FourBucks Member

Green licence plates

Not advertised to the general public:

Your green licence plate is a sign of your commitment to a cleaner Ontario. Until June 30, 2016, electric vehicles with green plates will be granted access toHOV lanes on 400-series highways and the QEW, even if there is only one person in the car. HOV lanes are otherwise reserved for vehicles carrying two or more people.

Please contact the Minister of Transport to request the date be extended.

Hon Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation
    Ministry of Transportation
    3rd Floor, Ferguson Block,
    77 Wellesley Street West
    Toronto, Ontario M7A 1Z8

[email protected]
    [email protected]

2. mikec8

mikec8 Member

3. wayner

wayner Active Member

So far the HOT lanes are only for the QEW and there are still HOV lanes on the 403 and 404, to name only two other highways. And there is no reason why green plates couldn't get a free pass for the toll charges.

4. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

I have a green plate but what happens to those of us with a Tesla with regular blue plates who drive on the HOV lane?
    I wonder if they would be pulled over. After all, the Tesla is a "Green'" car!

5. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

The 404 signs specifically state "Green Plate". Even if I could use the HOV lane I refuse to because inevitably there is some slow poke ahead and I have more options in the rest of the lanes. In stop-and-go traffic there might be a slight advantage.

6. Wide Awake Games

Wide Awake Games New Member

The HOT lane announcement includes Green Vehicle plate access and that project won't be ready before the HOV June 30th 2016 expiration. It's likely that HOV access will continue and that MTO will update the site as they did last year.

7. kizagjo

kizagjo Member

The signage says 'green plates', not green car. So if you drive a Tesla with blue plates, you run the risk of getting pulled over.

8. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

It's also Ontario Green Plates only. For instance, Quebec Green EV plates don't qualify. Provinces should cooperate on this. Someone who lives in Ottawa may drive a lot in Gatineau and vice-versa, so cooperation towards a common goal would really help in such cases.

9. wayner

wayner Active Member

For Ontario/Quebec it makes sense but if this becomes too widespread it becomes a problem coordinating. OPP officers will now have to learn the characteristics of green license plates for the 60 or so other jurisdictions in North America. Is that realistic? And do Sask and Florida always get a free ride since all of their license plates are green?

10. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

What they should do is make the HOV and HOT lanes strictly for Electric only vehicles, not hybrids.

11. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

Ontario will probably restrict the HOV lanes to EVs under $75,000 ;)

• Funny x 3
  12. sitter_k

sitter_k Member

and EV rebates will exclude companies beginning with the letter T, Toyota will be given special consideration because they manufacture in Cambridge.

• Funny x 1