Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Hydro charging network at 400 highway series rest stops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the news today.

Of course, there are no details as to the type of plug, charging rate, etc. The FAQ on the site gives a 404 LOL.

Anyone have any insight? I'm presuming it will be J1772?
IvyCharge typically installs 2-3 chargers per location at 50KW.

Some locations are special and get 150KW.

TORONTO, December 1, 2021 –Electric vehicle (EV) drivers will soon be able to charge at all ONroute locations along the province’s busiest highways, thanks to an agreement between Ivy Charging Network and ONroute and its partners, Canadian Tire Corporation(CTC) and the Ministry of Transportation (MTO).

Ivy’s Charge & Go level 3fast-charger locations will be open at 17 ONroute locations along Highways 401and 400 in time for summer 2022, with another three ONroute locations opening before the end of 2022. Each of Ivy’s Charge & Go level 3 fast-chargers at ONroute locations will support the charging of all current models of electric vehicles including charging ports for Tesla drivers.

Natural Resources Canada, through its Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative, invested $8-million to help build the Ivy Charging Network.

Don't forget that some of these sites are at the thin end of the grid as they are often in rural locations. It would be great if they could put in 30 or 40 L3 chargers but someone would have to spend a lot of money extending the grid.

I wonder how that problem will be solved for charging Electric Semis? You would need several MWs of capacity to charge a bunch of semis at a highway rest spot, or the electrical version of a Flying J truckstop. Or you would have to do a battery swap.

And what does this thread have to do with Ontario Hydro - which hasn't even existed as an entity for over 20 years.

Could they possibly have cables with Tesla connectors?
EvGo is the only third party to ever do this (at 50kw max) and they just attached a fixed chademo adapter into the station.

See image:

red-tesla-charging-1540x700.jpg

Kind of joke that Tesla is limited to 50KW? Ontario made a very poor decision not install Tesla superchargers and these side by side. Ohio Turnpike is adding Tesla Superchargers and Electrify America Chargers. Now that is a smart decision! Plus, they are only installing a couple ones too. Not very forward thinking of whomever is in charge of this.

How stupid is Ontario to not provide Tesla Supercharges too, since majority of electric cars are Tesla?

So, at 50kw, will not be much of a fast charge and not any type of gain for Ontario Tesla owners or travelers in Ontario.

Last edited:
Kind of joke that Tesla is limited to 50KW? Ontario made a very poor decision not install Tesla superchargers and these side by side. Ohio Turnpike is adding Tesla Superchargers and Electrify America Chargers. Now that is a smart decision! Plus, they are only installing a couple ones too. Not very forward thinking of whomever is in charge of this.

How stupid is Ontario to not provide Tesla Supercharges too, since majority of electric cars are Tesla?

So, at 50kw, will not be much of a fast charge and not any type of gain for Ontario Tesla owners or travelers in Ontario.
It is a strange decision but I bet there is an issue on who is going to pay for them. Tesla now has a pretty good network of Superchargers along the 400 highways so they probably said "we're not paying". And as a Tesla owner I am happy to stop at the existing SC sites which are generally close to Timmies or fast food sites.

But the other issue that may be keeping the sites from having Superchargers is the power grid. As long time forum member, and former electrical utility executive @mknox points out - many of these OnRoute sites are in rural locations at the thin end of the electrical grid. Who is going to pay to bring high capacity electrical wires for tens of kilometres to these sites? Tesla would have located their Supercharger sites where this wasn't an issue.

And this topic will become even more important when we talk about electrical semi trucks. How large will the grid have to be to allow a dozen or so electrical powered semis at truck stops like the OnRoute site or Fifth Wheel/ Flying J locations?

It is a strange decision but I bet there is an issue on who is going to pay for them. Tesla now has a pretty good network of Superchargers along the 400 highways so they probably said "we're not paying". And as a Tesla owner I am happy to stop at the existing SC sites which are generally close to Timmies or fast food sites.

But the other issue that may be keeping the sites from having Superchargers is the power grid. As long time forum member, and former electrical utility executive @mknox points out - many of these OnRoute sites are in rural locations at the thin end of the electrical grid. Who is going to pay to bring high capacity electrical wires for tens of kilometres to these sites? Tesla would have located their Supercharger sites where this wasn't an issue.

And this topic will become even more important when we talk about electrical semi trucks. How large will the grid have to be to allow a dozen or so electrical powered semis at truck stops like the OnRoute site or Fifth Wheel/ Flying J locations?
Very true. Have not traveled yet in Ontario yet with my Tesla, but looking froward to it. As long as Superchargers are by Timmies, Starbucks or Swiss Chalet, I am happy. :)