Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario inacted regulations mandating condo charges - Your experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Liberals in Ontario made it mandatory for condo boards to accommodate EV charging. As of May 1st, the condo board needs to respond within 60 days to requests for a charger. Anyone have any positive experiences yet? Thus far, in my condo, I have three owners that have requested a hook-up. The board is meeting later this month. The proposal moving forward in this condo board includes installing the infrastructure for 40 EV parking spots, and splitting it among current and future EV owners. I live in a big condo, with lots of parking spot, though. Any experiences to share?

They did not make it mandatory to accommodate; they made it mandatory to consider.

If your building/complex does not have sufficient electrical capacity, they will need to investigate getting one or more additional transformers. The cost of installing the transformer becomes important: if the required electrical upgrades exceed 10% of the current annual budgeted common expenses, the board is required to notify all unit owners. The unit owners can then requisition an owners meeting, as per the condo act, where they could block the installation by voting against it.

My own experience in getting a charger into my parking space has been going on a few months now. The installation of the sub-meter appears to be the final hurdle.

The board hasn't offered much direction atm so trying to feel my way through the process.

Our board meets once per month, near the end of the month. I was checking in with property management every two weeks to make sure the process didn't stall. Do you know any of the board members? Can you get a feel for their view of electric mobility?

In terms of what your fellow unit owners are asking, are you looking for a bank of common chargers, or chargers in your own parking spaces? Do you own your parking space, or is it an exclusive use common element?