Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Insurance Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are these quotes all comparable? Doesn't it depend on a bunch of things, like deductable, and amounts of liability coverage?

I don't think those things make a huge difference, percentage-wise. What really makes a difference is location, age, driving record and claims history (yes, even if you think you had "protection" from another company you will get burned for making claims).

Speaking from an insurance company perspectives to give some people an idea how premiums get factored:
  • Age of Driver
  • Gender of Driver
  • City (Brampton/Toronto the highest, Miss/Scar/Markham/etc is next, etc.)
  • Use of vehicle (commuting, uber, etc.)
  • Distance traveled
  • Speeding tickets in the past 3 years (surcharge for 1 unless ticket forgiveness, 2 or more - move to association)
  • At Fault Accidents in the past 10 years
  • Discounts:
    • Snow Tires
    • Associations

Hope this helps!

• Informative
Reactions: duanra
Make sure to get the Green Vehicle Discount if you are with TDMM

TD_Insurance.png

I’m about $840 with Aviva Traders through a corporate discount and bundled with a 2’nd car and house. Renewal coming July 10’th..........

When we moved from Scarborough to Cobourg in 2012 rates dropped about 40%.

I just got a letter from Aviva Traders that my Model X deductible has gone from $500 to $5000. Premium almost the same. No claims, no accidents, no tickets. Totally clean record.

Anyone else with X with a low deductible in Ontario - not sticking with Aviva.

I just got a letter from Aviva Traders that my Model X deductible has gone from $500 to $5000. Premium almost the same. No claims, no accidents, no tickets. Totally clean record.

LOL, that's insane... our insurance industry in Ontario has no shame. Profit profit profit.

Reactions: shellderp

I have Aviva through RBC and they’re the reason I started this thread. They’re trying to clean house I think. Agree with @5_+JqckQttqck Insurance is getting out of control in Ontario. It’s super cheap in
Quebec

Reactions: shellderp and bijan
Insurance in Ontario is a terrible ripoff and yes, rates continue to rise even though coverages continue to decline.

In September 2010, statutory benefits which we a part of EVERYONES basic coverage were stripped away by the Liberal government with the promise of rate reductions of 15%. It never happened and although insurers are not required to report profits, a professor at York U. did a study on the subject and said that Ontario insurers were making billions.

Fast forward to June 2016 and there was a further erosion to coverage and again, no rate reductions for Ontarians.

Last month the Provincial Tories said they were restoring one small area of lost benefits from 2016 but my fear is that was agreed upon to let rates continue to go wild.

I am with TDMM and my rates continue to rise every year even though I am claim free, ticket free and accident free. I bundle my home, U of T discount, EV discount, winter tire discount and my rates continue to go up. I also have a 2 million umbrella policy and enhanced accident benefits.

In my experience, in terms of dealing with insurers, Co-Operators stands alone as the best company. Intact probably second. A mish mash of others in the middle and then you have the Holy Trinity of garbage; Aviva, Wawanesa and State Farm/Desjardins. I’d pay more with another company but would not use any of those 3.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck