Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario licence plate changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Remove Cap and Trade ~ $2-3billion annual revenue stream - scrapped because of Oil is good, energy efficiencies are bad?

This thread has gotten a little off topic, but I can’t resist commenting on one point, as cap and trade never made any sense to me.
Ontario cutting large checks to Quebec and California under Cap and Trade did about as much good for Ontario, as Fiat paying billions to Tesla did for Fiat.
By all means tax gasoline and diesel (even more ), and keep it revenue equal, subsidizing the move to EVs, but cutting checks to others to pay for our sins, seems like a fools game.

While I agree with most everything you said, the slight against Deco labels is a little off imo. While I do agree both public Ford's are highly incompetent, it would not be unusual for Deco to have failed, incompetent Ford's or not. The paper graphics business has been totally decimated by the home office and the internet. Any company with any kind of need now has their own in house custom label printer. There's simply no need for a label company anymore. Remember all those printing companies that you'd see every few blocks in the 90's? They're almost all gone, anyone who needs anything quick can just get it done at Staples. Deco only continues to exist cause they were an established business with an existing clientele, and with that advantage it's much easier to specialize and thereby stay in business. I'd also take an educated guess that their building is most likely paid off, so their overhead will be reasonable. Finally from what I understand the business is run by Randy, Dumb and Dumber had minimal to no influence.

That may be true, but he ran as a "successful business person" - that in a sense is a lie if he had nothing to do with the successful maintenance of a family business in a declining sector.

This thread has gotten a little off topic, but I can’t resist commenting on one point, as cap and trade never made any sense to me.
Ontario cutting large checks to Quebec and California under Cap and Trade did about as much good for Ontario, as Fiat paying billions to Tesla did for Fiat.
By all means tax gasoline and diesel (even more ), and keep it revenue equal, subsidizing the move to EVs, but cutting checks to others to pay for our sins, seems like a fools game.

I'm unsure of how Cap and Trade worked, but on a macro level - it was a system that had been bought in by Ontario industries that had yet yield any useful data before being scrapped without a backup plan. And here we are under the jurisdiction of the Fed's Carbon Tax. Dismantling something without a backup plan is imho irresponsible and shows lack of any foresight.

This government is running around like a dog chasing squirrels in the park. Consequences? who cares about that.

Reactions: corlaandstan
I recall when cap and trade was killed off, estimates were that we'd take a $3B hit over Ford's 4 years as some of the programs funded by cap and trade will still continue and there are significant costs to winding down the program.

So yet again, we have a new government wanting to do things their way and for no better reason and possibly worse while proclaiming they have a mandate to do so. So sad.

It was helping to cut Ontario's GHG emissions and now they are going up.

What Is Emissions Trading? | US EPA

https://www.ieta.org/Resources/Resources/101s/cap-and-trade-the-basics-101-april15.pdf

I think the real issue is whether the costs for polluting (regardless of what program is being used) are sufficient enough to drive change and reduce pollution.

OFF TOPIC: Honestly, we don't know if something will work until trying it out. I think putting a price on carbon emission is a good start regardless in the form of cap/trade or a simple carbon tax. All I know that is if we don't center our economy around the environment from now on, there will be no environment in the future for our kids and their kids. The old political parties have too much burden to make real changes, thus I think it's now time for other more progressive parties to step up...

ON TOPIC: I hope they should redesign the GREEN license plate also to match the overall look of this new plate. I like the new Ontario logo and blue background (since blue is my favourite colour :p). Applaused for the graphic designer involved, not the Ontario PC gov't obviously.

• Love
Reactions: TrevTremaine
OFF TOPIC: Honestly, we don't know if something will work until trying it out. I think putting a price on carbon emission is a good start regardless in the form of cap/trade or a simple carbon tax. All I know that is if we don't center our economy around the environment from now on, there will be no environment in the future for our kids and their kids. The old political parties have too much burden to make real changes, thus I think it's now time for other more progressive parties to step up...

ON TOPIC: I hope they should redesign the GREEN license plate also to match the overall look of this new plate. I like the new Ontario logo and blue background (since blue is my favourite colour :p). Applaused for the graphic designer involved, not the Ontario PC gov't obviously.

My hope is that they actually make license plates that last. The newer plates seem to be made of plastic that separates easily.

Does anyone know when the new design goes into production? I'm sure they'll have to answer green plate questions at that point.

My hope is that they actually make license plates that last. The newer plates seem to be made of plastic that separates easily.

I feel like they cheaped out on the manufacturing process and as a result the plates start to peel after a few winters. Plus they get the added bonus of people having to pay for replacements when their plates are no longer legible.

This is nothing but conjecture.

Reactions: Vawlkus
That's the exact lines "Putting the money in the front lines" I heard 4x during an interview on CBC this morning. Dodge, deflect, repeat canned lines and never answered the host's questions.

We're in a money crunch (Liberals spent and spent, fine). But the policies to get us out of this mess is not being made. We need to raise revenues while cutting costs. Not cut to both. Realistically, should be small tax raises to keep up with inflation while introducing Toll roads, higher taxes while finding those efficiencies in the public sector. Not just a single minded approached - pissing off all the public servants won't do you any good as a political entity.

List of PC disasters:

1. Remove Cap and Trade ~ $2-3billion annual revenue stream - scrapped because of Oil is good, energy efficiencies are bad?
2. On a related note, wasting $30million to fight a loosing battle vs Fed Carbox Tax (Yes, I'll use their words).
3. 6million dollar man turned out to be 120+ million penalties we're on the hook for.
4. Talking about penalties, 100's of millions of penalties for breaching Beerstore/Lcbo contract (again, breach of contract - not a great businessman).
5. Wants our kids to get high, drunk, and make uninformed life and sexual choices because of reasons?
6. Scrapped the Clean Air/regulations that required emission testing - remember them smog days a decade ago? Lets bring that back!
7. Scrapping at 90% complete clean energy with a Global energy firm while making into law that they cannot sue/recoup their loses while declaring "Open for Business" - optics here are whacked. No sane business organization will invest money in Ontario (also see 6million dollar man and Avista Energy)

One of my favorite quotes to live by "You're as good as your last job/project"... Deco labels has been in decline ever since their father died and Ford took over. How do we elect idiots to run our public organizations is still mind boggling.

I'll leave it at 7 points for now. Saving #'s for 3 more years of entertainment.
Responses.
1. Cap and Trade was a disaster. All it did was raise prices with questionable impact to the environment. How does sending money to California solve anything
2. Bigger issue here, it's about protecting the provinces powers against a federal government gone bonkers. I could go on for ever about Liberal money wasting here . Next.
3. Liberals got us into this mess in the first place. He is cleaning up the corruption and liberal backroom deals.
4. The contracts are BS to begin with. Needs to be done. Ontario is still in the archaic dark ages when it comes to alcohol. Time to fix it
5. As opposed to the Liberal way of "knowing what is best for everyone and imposing their views on everyone"? Trudeaus requirement to have non-profits attest to supporting abortion in order to get jobs grants?!?
6. Drive Clean was a scam that outlived its usefulness. At the end it was a check for a "Check engine light" that had nothing to do with emissions.
7. You mean the contract that was ****ing over Ontario?!?

If the Liberals didn't **** it up in the first place, he wouldn't have to clean up their mess.

He is doing what he said he would do.

I was originally for a carbon tax that was revenue neutral as was the case in BC. The problem is that Government can't help themselves when it comes to taxes. A few years ago they abandoned the revenue neutral pledge and stated using it as a cash grab,

Reactions: Kmartyn
Responses.
1. Cap and Trade was a disaster. All it did was raise prices with questionable impact to the environment. How does sending money to California solve anything
2. Bigger issue here, it's about protecting the provinces powers against a federal government gone bonkers. I could go on for ever about Liberal money wasting here . Next.
3. Liberals got us into this mess in the first place. He is cleaning up the corruption and liberal backroom deals.
4. The contracts are BS to begin with. Needs to be done. Ontario is still in the archaic dark ages when it comes to alcohol. Time to fix it
5. As opposed to the Liberal way of "knowing what is best for everyone and imposing their views on everyone"? Trudeaus requirement to have non-profits attest to supporting abortion in order to get jobs grants?!?
6. Drive Clean was a scam that outlived its usefulness. At the end it was a check for a "Check engine light" that had nothing to do with emissions.
7. You mean the contract that was ****ing over Ontario?!?

If the Liberals didn't **** it up in the first place, he wouldn't have to clean up their mess.

He is doing what he said he would do.

I still think he is a numpty but overall you have made some very good points

Hey folks

no offence, but this is getting WAY too political......
The forum is not supposed to be a politics sounding board. We've all got our views - please keep those comments to the National Post, Globe and Mail or Toronto Star.

Totally agree, however there has been no mud slinging and no overheating and good points have been made, which is exceedingly rare and thus far been good natured. I applaud all the posters for keeping the whole thread in check whatever your views, the number plate debate is pretty much over except to see if they will make any ‘green’ plate changes. I expect none for the present, as the amount already produced and the amount of plates issued means the stock of blue plates will be diminished very quickly, long before they need to redesign green ones.

Last edited:
Cap and Trade was not the disaster some would have you believe. Don't buy into this unless you have concluded that based on a ton of research. I liked it because it directly addressed CAPPING emissions as opposed to just putting a price on them with some industries willing to pay that cost and pass it on to consumers. There is no guarantee of a reduction in GHG with a carbon tax. Whether this comes back to bite us remains to be seen but then that will be in the hands of a future government who will waste no time throwing a previous regime under the bus. The state of our politics generally is pretty sad but I don't see much changing given the entrenchment of influencers with deep pockets.

Now were there issues with cap and trade? Of course. No system this complex will be without issues on either side. But it wasn't a disaster and we'd have been better off riding it out till 2020 which was the end of the compliance period.

I wonder if these plates wear any better? Waldale Irwin Hodson Group | Home Page |

About 80% of US license plates are stamped in prisons where they apply the 3M plastic sheeting.

Perhaps a lower VOC adhesive is now being used?

What about something like this?

D39Yyw-W0AI_E-C.jpg