Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario License Green Plate Numbers Choices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Taking delivery soon.
For those that took delivery in Ontario, were any of you successful in asking SA to provide preferred numbers for your green plates?

Thank you!
To be honest, it's usually limited to what they get in their hands - if they allow you. The only time I was luck in that regards is when I went to the Service Centre myself for plates.

Righto, Affirmative, Positive.
Wonder what happens when we run out of green plates? There are 676,000 plates beginning with GV. Will they then force everyone to use VE? There are about 9M cars in Ontario so assuming that a very high proportion of Green plates are GVs then we run out of those at around 8% of the total fleet.

And once EV penetration gets really high then the whole point of Green plates kind of goes away.

Wonder what happens when we run out of green plates? There are 676,000 plates beginning with GV. Will they then force everyone to use VE? There are about 9M cars in Ontario so assuming that a very high proportion of Green plates are GVs then we run out of those at around 8% of the total fleet.

And once EV penetration gets really high then the whole point of Green plates kind of goes away.
But with close to 1,350,000 GV/EV plates that's only about 15% of the 9M cars. Thing EVs will break that 15% acceptance rate soon?

True if you assume that they use the French VE when the run out of the English GV, but I wonder if they will do that?
Think there would be backlash from the Anglophones?:) Or do the benefits of the GV/VE
plate outweigh whatever? (No tolls on the QEW and 400 series HOV lanes and no minimum in other HOV lanes, I think). Do they only issue the VE plate upon request (at this point)?

What I was thinking is that they might go to GW or something like that. Or maybe any license plate starting with G will be a green plate.

I don't know that there would be a backlash for VE but it doesn't really resonate with English speakers.

Reactions: Ciaopec
What I was thinking is that they might go to GW or something like that. Or maybe any license plate starting with G will be a green plate.

I don't know that there would be a backlash for VE but it doesn't really resonate with English speakers.
English speakers might not be bothered so much by the VE letters but rather by the french wording on the plate bottom(vehicule ecologique). I asked for and received a swap of mine at the MTO when Tesla issued me a VE plate due to a shortage of GV plates at their local office.

1647059970017.png

English speakers might not be bothered so much by the VE letters but rather by the french wording on the plate bottom(vehicule ecologique). I asked for and received a swap of mine at the MTO when Tesla issued me a VE plate due to a shortage of GV plates at their local office.

View attachment 779710

Were you able to choose a good number? How much is the fee? I am in Toronto, I guess the process should be the same.

Were you able to choose a good number? How much is the fee? I am in Toronto, I guess the process should be the same.
I don't know what you mean by good number. Just took what they gave me with a GV prefix. There was no fee as far as I remember.

It was a complicated situation for the staff as it was a lease buyout. I think Tesla sent new plates and original ownership to me via Fedex and then I had to go to Service Ontario to actually register the car (from Tesla to me after the buyout) showing safety check etc. At this point the clerk pointed out that I had brought in new french plates and offered english ones if I preferred. The staff at service Ontario were really good in this instance.