Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ontario, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
according to wikipedia... superchargers are 480v. so perhaps that is the tesla supercharger they are adding then. I'd take it, even if the spot is shady. A huge improvement over just not being able to charge there at all without practically also having to get a hotel room. (I've arrived empty there before and had to do that, about 7hrs or so to charge there from empty to full currently)

the current tesla charger there is super old, only one of its kind I've seen (not a wall or supercharger, some one-off thing Tesla did years ago).
I had to go check pictures to see what was there, (since they just had the 14-50 last time I was there) and I know what that is now. From the body of it, I though it was just a Clipper Creek unit, but it does have the Tesla logo on it. It is a converted wall charging unit for the old original Tesla Roadster from 2008-2010ish. I think those were actually built from Tesla buying base units from Clipper Creek and modifying them with the custom Roadster charging plug and putting their logo on them. Here is a picture of what these looked like with the Roadster plug on it:
Tesla Roadster Charging at the Westin Annapolis | PlugInSites

Since the Roadsters started getting rarer, and the J1772 plug is more compatible, most of those old Roadster wall connectors started getting cord-swapped by their owners to convert them to just regular J1772 wall connectors, and that's what this one is too. But with this situation in Burns specifically, I don't think Tesla the company had anything to do with this. I think this was just an owner that gave this to the C of C to install.

I had to go check pictures to see what was there, (since they just had the 14-50 last time I was there) and I know what that is now. From the body of it, I though it was just a Clipper Creek unit, but it does have the Tesla logo on it. It is a converted wall charging unit for the old original Tesla Roadster from 2008-2010ish. I think those were actually built from Tesla buying base units from Clipper Creek and modifying them with the custom Roadster charging plug and putting their logo on them. Here is a picture of what these looked like with the Roadster plug on it:
Tesla Roadster Charging at the Westin Annapolis | PlugInSites

Since the Roadsters started getting rarer, and the J1772 plug is more compatible, most of those old Roadster wall connectors started getting cord-swapped by their owners to convert them to just regular J1772 wall connectors, and that's what this one is too. But with this situation in Burns specifically, I don't think Tesla the company had anything to do with this. I think this was just an owner that gave this to the C of C to install.

I believe it was actually done as part of Oregon's electric transportation initiative years ago

Moderator note: This post and the post immediately following were moved from a different thread.

Here is yet a new permit for 8 superchargers in Eastern Oregon. Near the Walmart in Ontario. 541-20-000039-ELEC

Attachments

• Accela Citizen Access.pdf
    61.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
We were in Nampa for dinner at Mesa Tacos tonight, which is halfway to Ontario, so I decided to take a trip out there to get more pictures and see if the construction had moved along a bit. It sure has! The Tesla equipment is on site now, and with the label on the side, it does say it is a V3 Supercharger. Foundations of the charging posts are in, and from what I could count done already, it looks like 6 stalls.
*EDIT* That wouldn't make sense. Each v3 cabinet drives 4, so it's probably going to be 8 stalls, not 6.

20200306_192534.jpg
20200306_192635.jpg
20200306_192657.jpg
20200306_192719.jpg
20200306_192753.jpg
20200306_192820.jpg

So this definitely counts as under construction status. @BlueShift can we get Ontario changed to a cone, please?

it is a V3 Supercharger. Foundations of the charging posts are in, and from what I could count done already, it looks like 6 stalls.
*EDIT* That wouldn't make sense. Each v3 cabinet drives 4, so it's probably going to be 8 stalls, not 6.
6 stalls could also make sense. Tesla did 6-stall V3 superchargers across a lot of the TransCanada Highway. They use 2 V3 cabinets that each serve 3 stalls and 1 spare without the charging pedestal. That way they have the underground work done so they can expand the site to 8 stalls very easily when the need is there. I don't think that's the case in this instance though because you can see that the boxes for 8 pedestals are also on-site. So, likely this will be built with 8 stalls from the get-go.

We were in Nampa for dinner at Mesa Tacos tonight, which is halfway to Ontario, so I decided to take a trip out there to get more pictures and see if the construction had moved along a bit. It sure has! The Tesla equipment is on site now, and with the label on the side, it does say it is a V3 Supercharger. Foundations of the charging posts are in, and from what I could count done already, it looks like 6 stalls.

View attachment 518972 View attachment 518973 View attachment 518974 View attachment 518975 View attachment 518976 View attachment 518977

So this definitely counts as under construction status. @BlueShift can we get Ontario changed to a cone, please?

Then it's on to Burley to do the electrical for that.
As you may already know thanks to TMeister, (mentioned at the Burley ID thread, linked below), this contractor for Onterio has a total of 6 new supercharger sites he’ll be working on.
If you see someone working here, ask them where the 4 other sites are.
And let us know please.
TMeister, I, for one, appreciate your discovery and mostly forgive you for getting excited about Burley and blanking the rest of the list. No, really, I do.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/supercharger-burley-heyburn-idaho.133751/page-3

As you may already know thanks to TMeister, (mentioned at the Burley ID thread, linked below), this contractor for Onterio has a total of 6 new supercharger sites he’ll be working on.
If you see someone working here, ask them where the 4 other sites are.
And let us know please.
TMeister, I, for one, appreciate your discovery and mostly forgive you for getting excited about Burley and blanking the rest of the list. No, really, I do.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/supercharger-burley-heyburn-idaho.133751/page-3
Supercharger-Burley Heyburn Idaho
I bet 2-3 of them are the Great Falls, Helena and Shelby MT chargers. Helena and Great Falls seem to be waiting for the last bit of work. I’ve been updating on the Heyburn/Burley one, I’ll ask them if they’re heading to Shelby after they’re done with the major construction here, it’s been permitted for a while. It would make sense. I just added new pics to the Heyburn thread today and it won’t be long before they’re to the point Ontario is now.

I went by yesterday and not much different. It was kind of funny that I saw another couple in a black Model 3 from Meridian (Boise suburb) that was also out there checking on the progress of it.

It looks like they need to fill in around the bases of the pedestals, and I see the pile of parking stoppers that still need to be mounted in the spaces.

Ontario_supercharger_0405.jpg

I think it's all done. Just waiting for someone to flip the switch?
View attachment 532784
Not quite. There is a stack of back-up bumpers to be installed, one per stall. You can see them on the pavement below the Quality Inn sign. Also, has anyone seen that the transformer is in? Sorry if I missed that above.

BTW, how do we change the title of this thread from "Permit" to "Construction"?

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0 and Rocky_H
Not quite. There is a stack of back-up bumpers to be installed, one per stall. You can see them on the pavement below the Quality Inn sign. Also, has anyone seen that the transformer is in? Sorry if I missed that above.

BTW, how do we change the title of this thread from "Permit" to "Construction"?
Agree with all this. There also needs to be a meter installed. Perhaps the next one to visit can give us pics of the transformer and/or meter if they are even there.

Also, changing titles on this sub-forum can be difficult as I believe we do not have a moderator. I think last time I got one changed but the moderator of the Canada sub-forum.